Finally played a DGT, and I liked it a lot!

Eichaan

So I've been a fan of David Grissom for 25 years, and have been interested in his DGT model guitars for sometime, but I've never seen one in person until today. I was in the Guitar Center in Chesterfield, VA where they had one in a light, metallic blue color (with moon inlays). I was able to plug it in and play for awhile and I really liked it a lot. Lightweight, versatile, lots of tone colors and the dual volume knobs are just what I've always been looking for.

When I turn 50 in two years I'm going to get one for sure. Now it's just a matter of spending the next two years picking out a color!

Glad you got to get your mitts on one. They are very cool guitars! Here's to your 50th!

Thanks Bodia. Still 29 months to go until I'm 50, but I've been asking stores about these guitars for years, so it feels like a real accomplishment to see one in the flesh, so to speak.

Yes, Sergio, you can easily say "duh...goldtop". I myself said it--I think they look great, plus 50th birthday is like "golden anniversary". But my wife (bless her heart), suggested I consider a color with fancy wood. So I'm considering...

Besides, you'll but another PRS and you can get a fancy wood color then.
Nah... for your first Core, you have to go with fancy wood and birds - that's what PRS is all about, and you'll never get tired of showing it off. Then, for the next guitars, you can go with a solid color. That's my plan, at least. (Satin black top with mahogany back looks so so sharp to me, but I just couldn't do it for my first. :cool:)

Nah... for your first Core, you have to go with fancy wood and birds - that's what PRS is all about, and you'll never get tired of showing it off. Then, for the next guitars, you can go with a solid color. That's my plan, at least. (Satin black top with mahogany back looks so so sharp to me, but I just couldn't do it for my first. :cool:)

Yeah, I guess you're right. My first had to have a fancy top too.

If you're looking for something really special in a DGT, without going to the private stock level...you may want to keep your eye on this dealer Wood Library build in progress. I think that they are due to be completed around June-ish (not that I ordered one or anything...:rolleyes:).

http://briansguitars.com/product/paul-reed-smith-wood-library-dgt-brians-limited
Yes, listen to Tosca.
Brian picks great wood and these will have sweet inlays.
Copperhead is kind of close to the gold part of the spectrum.
It would be an epic 50th birthday present.

Benjamin Franklin, said, “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.”

When it comes to guitar shopping, I highly recommend taking his sage advice. And when you get the guitar, you can explain to your wife that Ben Franklin advised you to do it.

“But Les, what about the, ‘A penny saved is a penny earned’ quote from the same dude?”

No problem. By the time you turn 50, the price of the guitar will no doubt increase. So if you buy it now, you’re saving lots of pennies over the 2020 price.

I can think of lots of ways to enable you to spend your money. :)

My first PRS was a DGT, too!
holygrail.jpeg

Last edited:
DGT's are excellent. Like Martin Simpson said, you might find something different, but you won't find something better.

Or something like that.

Haha - this is where I wound up, last 2 have been solid colours

I went 10-top for my first (a DGT). Now I’m eyeing a CE in a solid color.

Back