Finally Got One!

Spent my first 25 years UP there. Currently exiled in SE Troll Land. (Lower Peninsula).

Most folks who aren’t from Michigan have no idea what a Yooper is. One of my college buds was from Sault Ste. Marie.

Most folks who aren’t from Michigan have no idea what a Yooper is. One of my college buds was from Sault Ste. Marie.

Yoopers are everywhere, but we all come from one special place. "Da UP".The Upper Peninsula of Michigan. UPers = Yoopers. The UP is most of the South Shore of Lake Superior and North Shore of Lake Michigan. The LP, or Lower Peninsula is south of the Mackinaw Bridge over the Straits. Who lives under bridges? Trolls. To our friends in the LP, nothing personal. It's just geography, eh? Yoopers, especially the western half, sound a bit like they are from Ontario, rather than the US. The UP is closer to Canada than to the Lower Peninsula. It borders by land only northern Wisconsin.

The Pasty and Cudighi are notable foods distinct to the UP over the rest of the country. We stole those from Cornwall and Italy. It is also a major source of maple. We see it in guitars and NBA basketball courts.

There's our cultural geography for the day, folks.

Back