FedEx or UPS?

I like Fed-Ex tracking better and since I have an account shipping it pretty reasonable and pretty quick for the most part

I’ve had both Fedex and UPS damage stuff. Turns out fallible human beings work at both places!

I expected the god Mercury to deliver my packages aided by his winged sandals, and instead I get truck driver guys in shorts and hats.

I, on the other hand, do things perfectly and have never made a mistake in my life, so I expect the same of everyone else. :rolleyes:

There’s no justice in the world. Anyhow, I have no preference between them, though locally UPS picks up at more convenient times.

Fed Ex. Better tracking, drivers that actually adhere to signature requirements rather than leaving expensive sh!t anywhere they feel like it.... they’re just better all around. USPS is alright too.

My UPS hub on the other hand... worthless lying lazy d!ckbags.

I like FedEx better...they are the only ones that deliver in this backward little town I live in...well, that and my driver hasn't called the cops again, filed a restraining order on me for stalking him, yet, he even stopped spraying me with pepper spray, like my last NGD, when I jumped out of some shubs by my front door...he's so nice!

First a disclaimer. I have two jobs. One is at ups. But those of you that prefer FedEx, that’s alright by me.

That said I do prefer ups. FedEx can never seem to deliver on the day they’re suppose to. Fwiw the FedEx depot that delivers to us is about 100 miles away. Anyway I’ve had to drive there several times to pickup packages. And when I bought my 594, it was shipped FedEx. I always have things sent to my other job. However we are closed on Mondays. I was tracking it and realized around Thursday, it would be here on a Monday. So I called and asked if they would deliver it and not hold it. They said it wouldn’t be a problem. I also told them if it would be a problem I could easily drive over and pick it up. They assured me it would be delivered Monday.

So I hang out there waiting. Then around noon I get a notification that my package will be delivered Tuesday. So I call and ask what’s going on. I try to get a local number so I can tell them I’ll come get it. Can’t find one for anything. All I get is the number for a call center. And they wouldn’t transfer me to them. Anyway it took several calls, because they kept telling me it would be delivered, and then I would get a notification about it being deliver Tuesday. But it was finally delivered that night.

So lesson learned. If it gets there on a Monday, I’ll have them hold it and go get it myself.

It is a toss up anymore... with their text notifications of pending deliveries and the ability to redirect any shipments requiring signatures to a very convenient, local location for either service, as a recipient I don't care which is leveraged... 6 or half dozen in my book. If I am shipping, its usually via UPS as their store is more convenient to me for outbound items.

I avoid Fedex whenever I can. Had a very bad experience that put a sour taste in my mouth.

Long story short, when I was a bit younger, I really wanted a Peavey 6505 (I was really into the metalcore scene). I worked and saved forever to finally get order one from GC and it showed up in about 10 different pieces. To give credit where credit is due, Peavey must build a hell of an amp because the thing still worked despite the cabinet being smashed.

I've had really good luck with both. The only bad experience with either was with FedEx several years ago. Thought they'd lost a bike frame I'd shipped to a guy. Was processing the claim when it showed up, the box nearly destroyed, about two weeks later. This was Philly to NYC, which is basically overnight shipping by any method. But in this major metropolitan area, both have really good service, both have dispatch centers near where I live so I can have stuff held there if I want to pick it up instead of waiting around for delivery. When I have a choice, I always choose UPS, but that's for political reasons I won't get into detail on - UPS has refused to do business with some organizations I strongly object to that FedEx still ships for. But with incoming packages, I've been fine with both.

I've not had a bad experience with either, but I prefer FedEx. There's a UPS Store, and a FedEx Shipping Center about a mile from my house. So they are both convenient. I get the disgusted look at the UPS Store every time I bring a guitar box in. That prompted me to create a FedEx account, and start going to the Shipping Center. The people that work that are always polite, and friendly. I know, things could be reversed between the two places. People are people.

The real reason I like FedEx better all has to do with the delivery routes. If I get something UPS, I'm at the end of his route (the mall comes first), so it's always after 4:30. FedEx must have a different route, because I always get FedEx Ground shipments before noon.

The real reason I like FedEx better all has to do with the delivery routes. If I get something UPS, I'm at the end of his route (the mall comes first), so it's always after 4:30. FedEx must have a different route, because I always get FedEx Ground shipments before noon.

This. But in reverse for me. I live in a small town of 17,000 about 50 Miles east of Indy and 15 miles south of Muncie. UPS comes from Muncie and sends 3 trucks our way. They tend to deliver to my office around noon and come quite frequently (ahem). FedEx brings one truck from Indy, and we are towards the end of his route. We close at 5, and he delivers until 5:30. He usually makes our office by closing, but not always. :(

FedEx also delivers on Saturday, but we are closed. It doesn’t matter if I’m there on Saturday, because he anticipates we are closed and doesn’t even check. :mad:
Then he doesn’t come on Mondays, so I have to wait until Tuesday.

Like Les has experienced, I’ve had both services damage my package, so like Bodia, I use the more route-friendly and timely service. In my case, it’s UPS.

If I ship something, I usually use UPS because the rates seem slightly better, and because I can ship it from my work location straight onto a truck that is dealing with businesses, not home delivery.

But I have never shipped a guitar.

I have received lots of guitars and a few amps, almost all at work now because we have a S&R dept that I know will be there to sign for it. Both UPS and FedEx have been reliable enough. One guitar got shipped here by USPS, and that was a bit glitchy - it got delayed by a day, IIRC, and then the day it was to be delivered I got a text update saying delivery was attempted but no-one was there to sign for it because business was closed...and then 10 min later it got delivered (dropped off at the front desk with all the other "mail").

I find that most of the experience is determined by the guy driving the route I am on. I liked UPS where I stayed in Pennsylvania because the driver came at a time that worked for me, and the couple of times he passed my place before I finished work he looped back with my stuff. I can’t use them to send stuff to my daughter, because the driver seems to deliberately miss her and then not drop the item at the depot for her to pick up herself - it’s always an ordeal.

FedEx is really good when I’m at the beach. The guy on that route wants ‘his’ customers to be happy.

I did have one smashed to bits experience, but UPS called before delivering to tell me the package was damaged and they would sort it out with the sender. No impact on me other than I had to wait for the sender to ship a replacement.

I really have no preference of one over the other. They both hire stealthy ninjas that know how to drop stuff on my porch without alerting the guard dog. I've had good and bad with both. UPS delivered one package in a mud puddle, but marked the tracking as " left on front porch." The mud puddle was 200 yards from the porch, at the bottom of a hill next to a busy country road. FedEx just seemed slower than they should have been.

UPS delivered one package in a mud puddle, but marked the tracking as " left on front porch." The mud puddle was 200 yards from the porch, at the bottom of a hill next to a busy country road.

I have SO been there. FedEx once delivered a Two-Rock amplifier (not exactly an inexpensive item!} to the middle of my driveway, in a snowstorm. And I was home! They didn’t even bother to ring the bell!

I only saw the amp when I opened the garage door, and there the package was, under two inches of snow. Fortunately, no damage.

USPS delivered a Neumann mic by setting it leaning against the garage door, again, after it had snowed, and when I checked to see if it had been delivered, it said it had. So...I went outside. No mic. Again, when I opened the garage door, there it was, in a puddle of melting snow.

Fortunately, again, no damage. But GEEZ!

UPS once dropped a Mesa I sent, somehow shattering it to bits. FedEx damaged a keyboard. I could go on. Point is, most of the stuff arrives just fine, and that’s simply life in the big city. Or...uh...the big suburb, I guess. ;)

Worst invention ever; Real Time Package Tracking Software. I drive myself beyond insane checking tracking numbers and packages. I absolutely hate being told something has shipped, when in fact they have only generated a label with a number on it. Even worse is the package sits for 3 days before it actually ships.

Worst invention ever; Real Time Package Tracking Software. I drive myself beyond insane checking tracking numbers and packages. I absolutely hate being told something has shipped, when in fact they have only generated a label with a number on it. Even worse is the package sits for 3 days before it actually ships.

That happens with Ebay a lot. The seller will create a shipping label but not actually send the package to the post office for like four days. You're not fooling anyone, pal.

That happens with Ebay a lot. The seller will create a shipping label but not actually send the package to the post office for like four days. You're not fooling anyone, pal.
Amazon does it on a regular basis. They claim it's because they are looking for the lowest cost option to send my order. It happens more often with free shipping orders than it does with paid shipping.

Back