Favorite Music Moments in Movies

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
I'm always on the lookout for great bits of music in movies. Whether it is entire songs, or just a few seconds that seem to make all the difference, they can sometimes make or break a movie for me. Certain scenes are as memorable for the soundtrack as for the acting. What are some of your favorites?

This one is a classic to me:

Goldtop Lloyd, Queen of Clubs

Last edited by a moderator:
May not be exactly what you're referring to but...for my money, this is one of the finest marriages of music and images in cinema history.

The use of Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" in "She's Having A Baby". Unfortunately, this clip doesn't show the whole scene, and frankly, it's more powerful after you've seen the rest of the movie, but it gets me every time.

I'm also quite fond of "I'm Going Home", "Over At The Frankenstein Place" and "Superheroes" from "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

On the lighter side, "Bohemian Rhapsody" in "Wayne's World" and "Afternoon Delight" in "Anchorman" are perennial faves.

The best I ever heard was the Rocky theme song in the beginning of Rocky 2, you could here the end of the fight from the first movie in the background while the words Rocky II scrolled across the screen.

This movie introduced me to a lot of great artists including John Lee Hooker and of course Cab Calloway

It doesn't count as a "moment" in a movie but I think the scores to "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly", "A Fist Full of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" make the films. I have the Ennio Morricone soundtrack to tGtB&tU and Hugo Montenegro's "Music from tGtB&tU, aFFoD and FaFDM". They are great albums.

The Ghostbusters theme tune which kicks off at around 2:20 in this vid (Which ISN'T the full movie):

Man, people think I'm being ironic when I say that Ray Parker Jr. was the inspiration for me picking up a guitar. "Ghostbusters" and "In Love with the Other Woman" were my first inspirations, but his sheer output and guitar playing credits are like a whole other career. I just recently found out he was responsible for all of my favorite Barry White riffs.

A few favorites:

The train scene in Risky Business with the track from Tangerine Dream was a very cool mix of image and sound.

James Horner's score to Field of Dreams, most notably "The Cornfield scene" has some very goose-bump inducing moments; his score to Titanic was also pretty amazing work.

Hans Zimmer's score to Gladiator was very beautiful and matched picture well.

Miklos Rosza's score to Ben Hur was a classic for its time, and really set the mood for picture.

Vangelis' tracks for Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire were pretty incredible. The running scene in Chariots of Fire was particularly moving with the score accenting the motion and color onscreen.

To a large degree, it's my opinion that film music owes a huge debt to Richard Wagner, who first made music that was designed for large imaginary vistas and for specific lighting effects in a darkened auditorium. Wagner's operas were, in fact, the first time the house lights were darkened in a theater, and the first time the orchestra was in a pit and not in front of the stage. His work was not theater set to music; it was the opposite, music for visuals. To this day I love Wagner opera, even though the man was a hateful person and my least favorite musical personality. The music was magic.

Last edited:
Can't find the intro with the explosion, but this matching of song and scene was awesome.

Of course the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene from Wayne's World is a classic.

But the first thing that came to mind was the musical number in The Sweetest Thing. It is inappropriate to post on the forum, but if you like Christina Applegate, Cameron Diaz and/or Selma Blair, you need to watch this film.

I love anytime when the actors in a film randomly break out into big musical numbers. I get a kick out of the oddness and total disregard for reality.

Not a movie...rather a cable TV series...but, I always thought that David Chase was a genius at combining the right period music with the specific scene in "The Sopranos".

My favorite....near the conclusion of the series....Chris and Tony driving at night....Chris tells Tony to "listen to the soundtrack from "the Departed...it's Killer"....then, as "Comfortably Numb" is playing, the car crashes....Tony realizes Chris is high on heroin...and suffocates him with his bare hands. Very intense.

Back