Favorite flame top

Here’s an interesting one. Totally unconventional, totally mesmerising. To my eyes that is.

I suppose my brain is wired such that it speaks to me at the right BANDwidth. To others it’s a non ten-top and a refund is in order....:confused:
fQhUsxf.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s an interesting one. Totally unconventional, totally mesmerising. To my eyes that is.

I suppose my brain is wired such that it speaks to me at the right BANDwidth. To others it’s a non ten-top and a refund is in order....:confused:
fQhUsxf.jpg

I like them this way, much more interesting as you put it. I'm a bit irregular myself and regularity literally bores me. I need a certain amount of novelty or I lose interest.
Definitely a 10 top :)

I like them this way, much more interesting as you put it. I'm a bit irregular myself and regularity literally bores me. I need a certain amount of novelty or I lose interest.
Definitely a 10 top :)
Thanks! :)

fQhUsxf.jpg

Agreed. I prefer one-off looks. Why choose a top that looks like a thousand others?

Some years back, some guy started a thread entitled “Would you send this back?” It was a pic of my PS SC58 (see below). I had to chuckle a bit because when I found this billet in the vault, I carried it around for an hour before the specs were laid out. At least one other person must have liked it, because it ended up in the PRS calendar.

Agreed. I prefer one-off looks. Why choose a top that looks like a thousand others?

Some years back, some guy started a thread entitled “Would you send this back?” It was a pic of my PS SC58 (see below). I had to chuckle a bit because when I found this billet in the vault, I carried it around for an hour before the specs were laid out. At least one other person must have liked it, because it ended up in the PRS calendar.

Love that top! I really like unique.

I’m totally with you 11top, I love the natural beauty of the materials guitars are made from.

For example, a burr in a quilt top can look beautiful and most would pass it by as an anomaly that doesn’t fulfill their expectations of the perfect “quilt top”.

Likewise, the photos of your PS, that deep trough in the figuring that sets it apart from many others with the expected uniformity.

Gradually more people are realising that unusual is beautiful.

It’s just as well my better half did!

I noted that symmetrical trapezoidal band when you posted it a few pages back! To be sure, there is random unique and then there is artistic unique. This sure falls into the latter category I must say!

I guess PS department wouldn’t have acquired and retained that billet otherwise, and they’re stuffed full of artists and art school graduates.

I’m totally with you 11top, I love the natural beauty of the materials guitars are made from.

For example, a burr in a quilt top can look beautiful and most would pass it by as an anomaly that doesn’t fulfill their expectations of the perfect “quilt top”.

Likewise, the photos of your PS, that deep trough in the figuring that sets it apart from many others with the expected uniformity.

Gradually more people are realising that unusual is beautiful.

It’s just as well my better half did!

Years ago, I attended a talk that Paul was giving at a retail shop. He was discussing the difficulty of finding enough “perfect” wood to sell his guitars. He said “You guys won’t buy a guitar with a knot in it.” I held up my hand and replied, “I would.” He looked at me and said, “You don’t count.” I quickly added, “As long as it’s book matched.” :p

Last edited:

Did you tell that guy to stuff it?

Years ago, I attended a talk that Paul was giving at a retail shop. He was discussing the difficulty of finding enough “perfect” wood to sell his guitars. He said “You guys won’t buy a guitar with a knot in it.” I held up my hand and replied, “I would.” He looked at me and said, “You don’t count.” I quickly added, “As long as it’s book matched.” :p
Absolutely! Any anomaly needs to be book matched. Well on the top, for me.

I suppose some people can see the beauty in a piece of timber, that others might think ugly.

Well, you don’t even have to (this is not meant as an insult to you, my wizard brother). Each person sees beauty in the wood differently. Some like extravagantly figured tops, some really don’t and think they are overdone, preferring tops with little figuring. Some like a lot of depth to the figuring, some like it relatively sanded and flat for a worn look. Some love 1-piece tops and some will only do bookmatched tops. And the list goes on. I used to think everyone liked roughly the same specs aesthetically, foolishly thinking that there was an artistic ideal. However, just as there are as many different people in the world, there are almost as many different opinions of what looks good artistically. It’s the same for wine, beer, cars, etc. Some like dry wine, some fruit forward, some bold, some light. Whatever speaks to you is the right answer, and I guess to that person who is looking for a homogenously even flame top, a unique one may be a deal breaker. The more guitars you’ve had, the more unique woods and looks tend to become important. What I don’t understand is recognizing the beauty in something and not partaking in it. For example, on a Porsche forum many years ago someone had posted pictures of his new 911 that happened to be bright red. Everyone congratulated him and then exclaimed that they wished they were brave enough to get a red 911, instead having had several silver or black ones over their lifetime. It seemed very silly to me that these people see the beauty in it but because of outside influences were not going to enjoy it themselves. Well, in any event, sorry for the long post. If unique tops aren’t your thing, that’s totally understandable. However, I always try to remind myself not to make disparaging comments about online guitar photos, especially in relatively small circles like PRS. You never know if the next guy (or gal) has or will be buying it, as evidenced by this case. Beautiful guitar, 11top! :)

Last edited:

I didn’t. I didn’t/don’t really care whether he liked it or not.

However, Markie, Hans, and I have had the following discussion many times: If you like something that somebody else owns and is likely proud of, by all means tell them so. On the other hand, if you don’t like it, keep your thoughts to yourself (unless they are specifically asking for critique). It’s that rule your mother did or should have shared with you. The golden one.

Note: I typed this before I read the preceding post. Well said, TT.

I didn’t. I didn’t/don’t really care whether he liked it or not.

However, Markie, Hans, and I have had the following discussion many times: If you like something that somebody else owns and is likely proud of, by all means tell them so. On the other hand, if you don’t like it, keep your thoughts to yourself (unless they are specifically asking for critique). It’s that rule your mother did or should have shared with you. The golden one.

Note: I typed this before I read the preceding post. Well said, TT.

You’re a better man than me. I would have said something

It's funny. Its a personal thing, but I have never understood the appeal of flame. To me I've always thought it looked a little OTT and would be something I would be afraid of dinging. Probably why I doubt I will ever own a Core!

It's funny. Its a personal thing, but I have never understood the appeal of flame. To me I've always thought it looked a little OTT and would be something I would be afraid of dinging. Probably why I doubt I will ever own a Core!

The first major ding, dent, or big scratch is hardest to get over so to speak but I play my instruments, pretty hard at times and I realize it’s expected they will get scratched up. Later today I’m going to post some Pics of my Tonare Grand and how scratched up it got playing bar shows this summer. I’ll post in Show your PRS ware, thread,even though in in electronic guitars . Anyway, my instruments never stay in showroom condition. :D

Back