Favorite aftermarket pickups for a Singlecut?

I have BK Abraxas set in my Bernie and to me it sounds like a really good Les Paul. A little hotter than the Mules but still very much a vintage vibe. I have Rebel Yells in my S2 Singlecut. A little hotter but still capable of knocking out vintage sounds with the gain backed off.

I dropped a set of Klein Epic '59s in a SC594. Awesome sounding and reasonably priced. Throbak Peter Green are really good, but really pricey. I'll toss another thumbs up behind Bare Knuckles. I've got a set of Zhangbuckers ordered. He hand winds in a one man shop, so the wait is long. If you want a touch hotter, the Suhr Doug Aldrich are really nice, and not expensive.

I'd really like to hear what you think of the Zhangbuckers. I've had some communication with him and he is really knowledgeable. Heard nothing but good things about them.

I'm a big fan of Bareknuckles as well. I currently have Rebel Yells in my 594, Mule Neck and Riff Raff Bridge in my 594 Singlecut, a Riff Raff set in my P245. I've had Abraxas in there as well. They are all different flavours of great.

I do have a set of Joe Barden two-tone pickups I'm thinking of putting in my 594 at some point.

I'd really like to hear what you think of the Zhangbuckers. I've had some communication with him and he is really knowledgeable. Heard nothing but good things about them.

I'll be sure to chime in, when I get them. We're past his 8-10 week window, but he did say he was a one man shop. I won't get itchy until we hit the 6 month mark.

I have Whole Lotta Love Humbuckers in my Bernie, Duncan 59's in latest 2017 Zach Myers (got it yesterday:)), and kept the #7's in my S2 Satin Standard. All different sounds, but great nonetheless!

I've got a set of Aldrich pick ups going into my KL-33. Can't wait to get it back!
When I bought my '02 Singlecut, the previous owner had Aldriches in there and I didn't care for them. Luckily the original #7s were in the case. I am looking to swap the #7s out though. Thinking I might go with Pearly Gates (have them in my S2 Custom 24).

Lollar Imperials are fabulous pickups. I’ve also heard dark horse lore regarding the pickups coming out of Onemac Windery, but have never tried them. They’re on FB.

I have a Whitfill Tele with onamac pickups and I'm very very happy with them. Haven't had my hands on any humbuckers they make though. That guy is kind of reclusive it seems.

When I bought my '02 Singlecut, the previous owner had Aldriches in there and I didn't care for them. Luckily the original #7s were in the case. I am looking to swap the #7s out though. Thinking I might go with Pearly Gates (have them in my S2 Custom 24).
I swapped out #7s for 59/09s. Good stuff.

Coda to this thread (which is almost 2 year old, good grief!):

I did wind up with a pair of Bare Knuckle Mules that I put in a Warmoth Explorer, and they're happy in there.

Surprisingly I scored a nearly unused set of gold 53/10s, and as soon as I saw those I knew they needed to go in the Singlecut. There was some drama during the pickup swap, but mission accomplished!

I have a Whitfill Tele with onamac pickups and I'm very very happy with them. Haven't had my hands on any humbuckers they make though. That guy is kind of reclusive it seems.
Whitfill is who I learned about them from, though I've never played one of those either!

I have BK Abraxas set in my Bernie and to me it sounds like a really good Les Paul. A little hotter than the Mules but still very much a vintage vibe. I have Rebel Yells in my S2 Singlecut. A little hotter but still capable of knocking out vintage sounds with the gain backed off.

BKP Abraxas is the new favorite to replace the #7. I'm just trying to decide between Abraxas neck/bridge, Abraxas bridge/Mule neck, or Mule neck/bridge. Trying to get as close to a Carlos Santana tone as possible.

I swapped out #7s for 59/09s. Good stuff.

I thought about those too but I have yet to find a covered pair of those. For aesthetic reasons, I want covered humbuckers in the Singlecut. For whatever reason, uncovered humbuckers don't look right to me in 22 fret instruments, and covered buckers don't look right in 24 fretters. It just looks weird.

WCR Pickups, either the Godwood or Darkburst (a Godwood bridge and Darkburst neck is a particularly nice combo). To me Jim Wagner is the master of the PAF world. I have them in a few guitars, and they are fabulous.

WCR Pickups, either the Godwood or Darkburst (a Godwood bridge and Darkburst neck is a particularly nice combo). To me Jim Wagner is the master of the PAF world. I have them in a few guitars, and they are fabulous.

I love Godwoods. That's another one I'm considering for my Singlecut.

I've got a set of Aldrich pick ups going into my KL-33. Can't wait to get it back!

Me, too. They are going into my Tremonti.

I have three sets of Seymour Duncan Amos pickups and they are my favorite of all time. Or, tied with DiMarzio EVH Music Man pickups. Those are epic.

Amos pickups are clones of Bonamassa’s korina bodied 1958 flying V pickups. Perfect for a KL33. I wish you would have consulted me first, Bodia. :D

Last edited:
Me, too. They are going into my Tremonti.

I have three sets of Seymour Duncan Amos pickups and they are my favorite of all time. Or, tied with DiMarzio EVH Music Man pickups. Those are epic.

Amos pickups are clones of Bonamassa’s korina bodied 1958 flying V pickups. Perfect for a KL33. I wish you would have consulted me first, Bodia. :D
Well, it was 2 years ago! Sergio’s buddy has that KL-33 now. But, the Aldrich pickups did slay!

Back