EZdrummer VS. Superior Drummer

WHich would you get EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer?

• EZ

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Superior

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
I think EZ is a cut-down version of Superior. When I looked (superficially) at Superior, it looked like it had more kits, more grooves, and more control over some of the variables.

Some of it will depend on how you plan to use it. Are you going to strictly use the grooves, or are you going to program the drums yourself? If you're going to do your own programming, the extra grooves won't matter as much. You can also use other drum software to expand the number of kits - I have EZ, but I also have Steven Slate Drums and a couple of the Abbey Road sets, in addition to several of the EZ expansion sets. So EZ was sufficient for me.

FYI - if you keep your eyes open, Toontrack runs half-price deals on the expansion packs several times per year. Native Instruments also runs deals on their software, including Abbey Road Drums, but I don't remember if you had to be a previous customer (I don't think so).

I opted for EZ Drummer a year ago due to cost. For my basic needs, the features were plent good and the price was stupid-low. At the time, it was a great deal and it sounds very good.

I use Studio Drummer. I think the sounds I get from it are better than anything I've tried.
Addictive drums is the best for loop libraries.

EZ Drummer can be very fast for ideas. For the OP's purposes, though, a lot of those benefits appear to be in Superior as well.

For instance, you can tap in a pattern, and EZD/SD will search its library and rank the patterns that match and how closely they match. You can drag and drop to build a song out of the various patterns, then either play that from the plug-in or drag the MIDI to your DAW. Makes it very quick to get ideas down before you have to dive into the nitty-gritty editing.

They're both great. I went with Superior Drummer because...well because I could afford it, basically. I was ready to say, "for demo or live, get EZ; for recording, get Superior", but really, if you're a good enough programmer, and if the drums aren't going to be front and center, EZ Drummer has some really good sounds. It really depends on how ...uh... on how much effort you're going to make on that last little bit, when it comes to drum sounds. If you're going to spend a lot of time and listen to them a lot, then get Superior, otherwise, get EZ.

This is actually a pretty good breakdown.

I think there's even an upgrade path, wherein you can get EZ Drummer first, then use that purchase towards an upgrade to Superior Drummer.

So I would get EZ Drummer first.

Dusty - does Superior have better quality samples or just more control? I remember seeing more options, but I don't remember seeing anything about the sounds. I just didn't look that deep.

Honestly, I don't remember. I don't think the quality is any better, it's the ability to fine-tune them that's better, IIRC. They both have more than you can ever use in your lifetime.

Yeah, that's part of the reason I have the other software, the different sound sets and different controls.

I use jamstix. It has a virtual brain and create parts for you (or you can program them yourself), including dynamics. Plus it can import drum sounds from EZDrummer etc if you don't like the in-built sounds.

If you're going to spend that much, you should also take a look at some other options before you settle on one.

I'd check out BFD, the many offerings from Native Instruments (which would all be included in Komplete or Komplete Ultimate, and most would even be in an older and cheaper used version), and options built into DAWs like Logic Pro X which is less than $200 for the whole thing. Great value if you use a Mac. :)

I've done a couple of youtube videos in the past on drum plugins and i've tried many of them.

Take into account I like big sounding drums and smooth kicks with power but not sub woofing power. Arena rock style I guess. Snares that really punch and reverberate. Tight kicks. smashing cymbals.
To summarise my experience.
Studio Drummer - Best out of the box sound, great interface and quality effects, no full song midi loops, could be considered expensive.
Native Instrument Drummer series - includes 60s,70s,80s,Modern Drummer - great sounds that really capture the decades, easy to use, 60s sounds great with acoustic style tracks, no full song format loops, Best to buy as a bundle in Komplete.
Addictive Drums - Best loop library which includes full song format for jam sessions, tweakable to the extreme. Can sound very real , great interface, great price.
Steven Slate Drums - Poor cymbals but amazing kicks, good snares, can sound synthetic, "mix ready" ,Poor user interface, all but forgotten by Slate Digital.
EZ Drummer - I remember this being really bad but i'm not qualified to say as it was years ago.
East West Pro Drummer - Mediocre sounds, awful kicks, interface is a fiddle, good loop library, expensive.

I honestly can't go past Superior Drummer 2. It has heaps of expansions, heaps of kits and you can import all of the EZDrummer packs too. It's expensive, but IMO, it has the realest sounds. For all of the other virtual instruments, i can tell they are fake because of the high hats. Even if recorded MIDI through a td20. The SD highhats (on most of the kits - esp the NY kit) i can make sound perfect.

Sweetwater has a lot of Toontrack software for about 50% off right now.

I prefer ez drums as for me it's sounds better.
Also i using ezdrumkits from this guys https://www.lucidsamples.com/
have anyone bought from them?

51OzI30txoL._SY445_.jpg

Back