EG3? How many are out there???

markd21

Man, I can't get that seafoam EG3 posted in the "potential models" thread.....

How many of those are out there? I see the two on Reverb, and the red one isn't too bad - but.....that seafoam!!!!! Do they pop up often? Aside from the obvious places to search, are there any "secret" places to be checking, lol?

Let's see, they only made that version for two years and the serial number count only gets up to 1290. A portion of that will be EG 4 (HSS) models and I suppose there could be some overlap with the second version EG models at the end.

So not a whole lot, but they do seem to pop up from time to time. I'd love to have one if they didn't have skinny necks.

Cool. Thanks for the confirmation - I haven't seen too many in the last couple of years. I'll just add it to the search!!

Cracks in the neck pocket? Like Ibanez paint cracks, or structural issue cracks? Any details would be killer.

You’ll mostly see it on the back and sides, so keep an eye out. I imagine it’s structural, even though most sellers will say it isn’t... IDK, something to think about while shopping.

I looked for ten years. I finally found a Blue sunburst with a white pearloid pick guard. 3 Fralins, and it's my all time fave. And of course it sounds better because it's blue. By the way, it was a collecter's guitar and hadn't been played in years. You just have to never give up. I believe the Fralins are really special.

I found an SE version of the EG. Fun little player. If I find a core EG with the Fralins I'm jumping on it.

I just happened to find my Series I EG-3 at a local vintage shop, by sheer dumb luck. It was hanging right over the register. It had been there so long, the hanger foam had made faux "cigarette burn" marks on the nitro finish. I wouldn't mind finding a Series II with those spanky Lindy Fralin dominos someday, though I will probably gripe about the single tone knob. I'm just extra like that I guess.

Cracks in the neck pocket? Like Ibanez paint cracks, or structural issue cracks? Any details would be killer.
They just don't have much wood thickness sitting between the neck plate and the tenon. The neck heel/tenon on an EG seriously looks more like a set neck style than a Fender's: thick, beefy, and fully carved. But at the same time, the guitar body is also thinner than a Strat. The Series I have a really thin aluminum neck plate, too, roughly half the thickness of a garden variety Fender steel plate. Combine this with the fact that folks bought the EGs to play instead of hang on a wall, and sometimes the pocket wood cracks. Mine has finish cracks, and I say a little prayer every night.

I don't know how many are out there... I owned this one for a couple years around 1998:

prs_eg2_bod.jpg
prs_eg2.jpg

Those domino pickups were awesome... I miss it. :(

Back