Ebony Fretboard Question

DuncanCE22

What does everybody use to clean and condition they're ebony boards? I have to do my MM baritone and not sure if I can use the lemon oil that I use on the rosewood boards. I have ordered some Gorgomyte as I hear that's very good, but does it just clean or condition too? I seem to find a lot of conflicting views on this when I try asking Google.

Thanks in advance.

What does everybody use to clean and condition they're ebony boards? I have to do my MM baritone and not sure if I can use the lemon oil that I use on the rosewood boards. I have ordered some Gorgomyte as I hear that's very good, but does it just clean or condition too? I seem to find a lot of conflicting views on this when I try asking Google.

Thanks in advance.

I use Gorgomyte followed by a wipe down of Pledge (I can't find Behold).

Ebony doesn't need to be "conditioned". There are examples of 4,000 year old unfinished, untreated ebony found in Egyptian tombs that are in absurdly fine shape.

If your ebony fretboard outlives you by 3900 years, you'll be good to go for awhile.

Lemon oil does a fine job cleaning fretboards, but it's dry cleaning fluid with a scent, naphtha. Wipe it off when you're done, and if you feel the need, shine it up with the furniture polish.

Who the heck even knows what's in Gorgomyte? But it certainly isn't necessary to "treat" ebony. Most of this stuff is just around to make folks feel better, and is unnecessary.

I never liked to oil my fretboards, i clean them but the oiling seems excessive. I have a 20 year old Gibson i never oiled and it is still fine. I think the bacon grease that coats my fingers is enough for any fretboard.

Once a year Gibson fretboard conditioner ( I use it on my PRS boards and rosewood necks also ) - I had an ebony board on my last LP and the pores would open up looking a bit like a crack a bit of oil and all looked tight and black

I never liked to oil my fretboards, i clean them but the oiling seems excessive. I have a 20 year old Gibson i never oiled and it is still fine. I think the bacon grease that coats my fingers is enough for any fretboard.

I have a 52 year old Gibson never oiled, owned from new, and it's still fine. Lots of mythology around fretboard care.

Don't let the fretboard dry out, especially ebony. If you live in a dry climate, make sure you humidify the room where your guitars are stored. About 50% is optimal.
The more you play the guitar, the less you need to worry about oiling the fretboard. A rarely used guitar should probably be oiled once a year. A frequently played guitar probably doesn't need any additional oil applied.

Don't let the fretboard dry out, especially ebony. If you live in a dry climate, make sure you humidify the room where your guitars are stored. About 50% is optimal.
The more you play the guitar, the less you need to worry about oiling the fretboard. A rarely used guitar should probably be oiled once a year. A frequently played guitar probably doesn't need any additional oil applied.

Or.......just let Jizzy Jones borrow it.

Back