Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words

Cool - thanks for the heads-up.

I just picked up a DVD of TV performances called Trouble Every Day.

In 2010 I went to a Dweezil Zappa band camp in NY.
Every morning we'd go to Dweezil's master class, guitar in hand.
Inevitably we would end up listening to stories about Frank and growing up in his house. Some hilarious stories were told.
I didn't learn a thing but it sure was fun.
That's where I won a SE ONE and got it autographed.

Seriously. The Zappa family has crossed the line from "protecting the legacy" to "disowning one of its own for no reason whatsoever". I'm not sure I would not change my name, if it were me, being hurt like this, by family.

Really is messed up on the part of ZFT...I thought he was tighter with his siblings honestly...also met Dweezil on several occasions and he is very kind and humble as mentioned, really a good guy and one helluva guitar player

Anywayz this doc looks great, lol trailer is typical Zappa cynicism, gotta love it...

Since it's 100 degrees down here in Austin, what's the best way to get out of the heat? Go to this movie.

The Summer of 1966 was truly a great year for music, (check out the Billboard Top 100) and the first time I heard Freak Out in it's entirety at a friends house. ('Trouble Every Day' is still a killer track by the way...)

The movie is nothing but filmed and taped interviews, and some concert footage, in basic chronological order. Here's my takeaways:

1) Zappa's music is like a huge musical buffet. Some things, genre wise, you're familiar with and can relate to at one level. Or it's like, 'well it looks good, but just to spicy to try' or 'yes it tastes kinda good, but just not for me' or 'ugh...whew that's really not to my taste at all and why do people like this stuff?'

2) My musical comprehension goes like this: Blues--->Jazz/Classical--->Zappa, The Great American Maestro.

3) He always hired the best available singers and drummers that could execute with exact precision his compositions live from memory.

Bottom line: If you have ever been curious and wanted to see and hear Frank speak about a wide variety of subjects from the music business to politics?

Check it out.

Check your calendars: Dweezil is on the road starting in September here in the States. The BEST ensemble of musicians I've ever heard. Saw them in May 2015 'One Size Fits All' Tour'.

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/pages/tour-section

Last edited:
I don't get the lunacy of the ZFT. I mean Dweezil is the only one in the family doing anything to promote Frank's legacy. They (i.e. all of the Zappas minus Dweezil) are just being a bunch of _____ (a word that rhymes with "hunts" but was censored out by a moderator despite the fact that it is perfectly acceptable slang in the Queens -- that's British English for the mono-continentals among you).

Zappa: "Censorship stems from a primitive belief in this country that there are certain words in our language that will corrupt you instantaneously the moment they are uttered into the atmosphere... That's like animism... It's so stupid that an idea like that persists in an industrial society."

Primitive cunts censor.

Last edited:
Beyond sad. I'd long had something of a dislike of Gail, primarily because of how she handled some of the estate affairs around releases and the crap that went on with the tribute bands. I really don't think it's possible as a parent to know all of the details of the relationships between your children, but the more I hear this story, the more I believe she knew exactly what she was doing. Dweezil and Moon seemed to have more of a relationship with Frank, probably due to their age as much as anything.

That said, I definitely plan to keep an eye on the auction. Don't expect to actually get anything. I figured I'd buy the catalog, but it's $100 - have to put some thought into that.

Back