Dweezil Zappa: Trademark Battle Update

Wow - I had not seen that.

What got me was that this appeared to be a deliberate attempt by Gail to drive a stake in the hearts of Dweezil and Moon. Dweezil apparently had some disagreements w/her about ZPZ that were ongoing, but Moon was quoted in one story as saying she thought she and Gail had patched up their differences and grown closer while Moon took her to her treatments. Moon was seemingly caught off-guard by the terms of Gail's will.

And for those and many other reasons (now with the hologram), it's difficult for me not to think that the statements from the ZFT are completely disingenuous.

Just saw a couple statements from Adrian Belew. One stating that he was honored to be asked and that he gave Ahmet his permission to use his name in the announcement. The second said he was not aware of how caustic and divisive the issue is among Frank's fans, that he has huge respect for what Dweezil has done, that he really liked Moon, that Diva has treated him well, and that even though they haven't actually met, Ahmet has been good to him. It went on to say that he was respectfully bowing out and will not be participating.

Just saw a couple statements from Adrian Belew. One stating that he was honored to be asked and that he gave Ahmet his permission to use his name in the announcement. The second said he was not aware of how caustic and divisive the issue is among Frank's fans, that he has huge respect for what Dweezil has done, that he really liked Moon, that Diva has treated him well, and that even though they haven't actually met, Ahmet has been good to him. It went on to say that he was respectfully bowing out and will not be participating.

Good! I hope Steve Vai does the same.

He didn't. Vai said he was honored to be asked, and if he weren't involved, it's a show he'd want to see.

Considering that Steve and Dweezil are apparently quite close, I still wonder if the sentiment will change.

Considering that Steve and Dweezil are apparently quite close, I still wonder if the sentiment will change.

I don't know. I also saw Arthur Barrow basically said, "Ahmet asked me if I wanted to play some FZ music, and I said yes. If Dweezil asked me to play FZ music, I'd say yes to that, too. Next subject."

Damn. It's always bad when you choose money over blood. There is enough money to be made and go around for everyone involved yet, most of it is going in the pockets of the lawyers. Geed surely is the other 'green-eyed monster'. Frank laid the foundation, Dweezil kept it going and ZTF wants to give us holograms over his flesh and blood? I'm a musician that supports real performing musicians. Plenty of footage of the real Frank performing available to view. No thank you to the lip syncing light show. Obvious to say my support is thrown in with Dweezil.

It's a stick situation. Even if it's among family, as Ahmet puts it, I think Dweezil is right in wanting a lawyer there anyhow, especially when it comes to legal discussion of millions of dollars.

My suspicion is that it was the "Zappa Plays Zappa" or the "Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa" stuff that was the sticking point, regarding names. With music, if he plays any "Frank Zappa" songs or invokes the name "Frank Zappa," then it makes sense that he'd have to license that with the trust, because even Dweezil cannot just use Frank Zappa for free and make money off it. There's the family trust.

As for using his own name, he should be able to do that with no problem.

For a while, it was looking and sounding like Sean Lennon / Julian Lennon type of garbage. But it feels like something is missing here. Even if I were a lawyer, my guess is that I'd still not have enough info to pick a side.

Back