Dual Delays?

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Anyone here use a dual delay setup? My question stems from my admiration of the way Andy Timmons uses a pair of Deluxe Memory Man delays set to different times to get a great texture under his playing. It's probably a level of minutiae that no one else would notice hearing me play, but I like it. But, most dual delays are physically large. The Strymom Dig is less so, but I would prefer to go for analog or analog emulation, not picky on it being digital. My other option is just to go with another TC Flashback, which has a syncopated delay setting, two different delays but they're on a set time ratio to each other that can't be changed. And, I would prefer to have a tap tempo. I have one Flashback, but it's wired in to be in my lead boost effects loop via a boss line selector, so I can't turn it on for non-lead work without a volume boost.

Yes. I snagged the idea from Satriani years ago (he doesn’t use reverb). Right now I have the Kemper setup with a dual tap delay that accomplishes he same thing, and set the El Cap for dotted 1/8th note delay with reasonable wow and flutter (modulation) + the reverb on the Flint...for when I’m playing the other amps. Takes a while to setup, but once you do, it’s magic. Used to use a Carbon Copy with the El Cap and it worked nicely, too.

There’s only tap tempo on my El Cap. The Carbon Copy had to be manually set, but if you go for 250ms and about 500ms on the other delay, you don’t have to change much. I never worried about sync’ing with tempo.

From memory Timmons has now gone to the Strymon Timeline which gets his tone and can do dual delays if needed.

I have one and love it.

I effectively have about three delays on my board now, one for slap back, one for an all round “wash” thing (300 ms or so) and another for specific tempo based stuff with a tap function that’s easy to get to.

Back