Drum machine

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
So I was looking at the new Vox Apache guitars today that have a drum machine built into them, and also amp modeling.
http://www.voxamps.com/us/guitars/apache/

I really do not need another guitar with a built in speaker, as I have a Fernandes that has one, but the Vox is very cool.
But this got me to thinking there must be some drum machines out there that you can plug into your amp to play along with.
I saw these on Amazon, but I am not sure if they are to play along with, or if you are suppose to beat on the pads :D
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...&keywords=drum+machine&ie=UTF8&qid=1356321546

Looking for something easy to hook up to a 2nd amp and to be able to program it to play different style rhythm and temps.
Are they the correct type I am talking about that are listed?

Going to hit my PRS dealer tomorrow too maybe and see if he has anything.

Corey - maybe look for an Andrenalinn. They have some amp sims, effects, and drum loops in quite a few different styles. I'm not sure about the programmability (would have to check the manual), but it gives you some pretty decent functionality. And you can plug headphones in.

That thing is expensive for what you described your needs as being.

Have you considered any of the Toontrack line, like EZDrummer?
http://www.toontrack.com
They are some of the most dynamic and easy-to-use drum IDE's available, and much cheaper than the price of that Boss unit.

And it's easy to transfer your ideas over to a DAW for recording, using the same loops you jammed to.

Thanks, have not heard of that one.
So it looks like you need to use a PC/laptop for that, and run it into a sound system?

Thanks, have not heard of that one.
So it looks like you need to use a PC/laptop for that, and run it into a sound system?

Yes you need a PC/laptop, and you can run it various ways from there.

And before you say "I don't have a PC/laptop," you could still get a pretty basic one AND the software for close to the same price of the Boss. The biggest difference being the limitations of the Boss unit. The laptop would allow you the option to do some basic recording (and more) in the future if you ever wanted to. With home recording tools being so ubiquitous and accessible right now, every musician should at least give it a shot.

I have plenty of PCs, and one good Dell laptop.
But...
http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=7

I was checking that software out, and it looks more like it is geared toward someone who is going to write music/compile stuff.
I am just looking for different background instruments to jam with by myself with no recording or song making involved, and that Roland unit looks like it is geared more towards what I am wanting to do.

That thing is expensive for what you described your needs as being.

Have you considered any of the Toontrack line, like EZDrummer?
http://www.toontrack.com
They are some of the most dynamic and easy-to-use drum IDE's available, and much cheaper than the price of that Boss unit.

And it's easy to transfer your ideas over to a DAW for recording, using the same loops you jammed to.

I'd definitely recommend Toontrack's stuff. If cost is not a big constrainer for you, I'd recommend EZDrummer's big brother- Superior Drummer (2.3 at this point). A plus about Superior is that you can use the sound libraries from the EZDrummer program.

@Corey, Toontrack does have some pre-made loops made by drummers in case that's of interest.

I'd definitely recommend Toontrack's stuff. If cost is not a big constrainer for you, I'd recommend EZDrummer's big brother- Superior Drummer (2.3 at this point). A plus about Superior is that you can use the sound libraries from the EZDrummer program.

@Corey, Toontrack does have some pre-made loops made by drummers in case that's of interest.

Absolutely. I've been using Superior Drummer for the last year or so, a very nice upgrade.
You can also use pretty much any drum MIDI from other platforms (steve slate, addictive drums, etc) with the EZ/Superior kits.

For anyone interested, right now Sweetwater has an EZ Drummer-->Superior Drummer crossgrade special for $99. Normally it's around $249.

My Roland JS 10 showed up today, and I am very impressed.
Late present from Santa :D

I had posted earlier in the week for some type of a drum machine setup, and I am very impressed with this thing.
It has amp modeling of course, and my favorite to play (when not using one of the backing tracks, as they select the amp model for you) is the Mesa Boogie Rectifier Metal.

For such a small device, and I do mean small, it sounds very good.
I do not see a need to plumb it to my TVs sound system via RCA stereo cables, as it is pretty loud and clear.

Pretty cool playing without the backing tracks and selecting different amps, and also jamming along with songs.
My lead playing sucks of course, I am mainly a rhythm player.
But the lead lines I was improvising to the backing tracks sounded pretty good.
If I am brave enough, I may shoot a short video later this week.

This little unit can easily replace my Fender Mustang One amp.
For now it is sitting on top of my Carvin 2x12 cabinet, but I will probably move it to the end table next to my easy chair so I can just play in the recliner :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks Mike.
It is a lot of fun playing along with it.

I am digging the Mesa Boogie Rectifier amp stack sound the best too.

Back