Dream Theater Rules! A thread to honor the greatest band ever

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Now that was pretty good, not jaw dropping/floor me kinda stuff, but oddly I like that a little more than DT.
He's not funky but those runs were improv so he get's Huggy's badge of baddassness ........

........ still not a beast tho. :D

everyone rags on the singer

....... I can see that.:D

As for the bass man, I only say he's overrated because the has "beast" and "bass god" attached to his name whenever I've read about him. Maybe they should just give him the "holding it all together" moniker.:p

Don't be offended, they're OK, but not everyone in the band is "all that" to me, and yes, the virtuosity of some jazz (and fusion) players has shaped the way I look at things. I still like Rock, I just keep it in perspective.

Ooo, A Change of Seasons slipped my mind somehow. I love that record.

While you're tracking things down. Make sure you find "Cleaning Out The Closet." It was fan club release from the mid 90s. I recently found it online. Cool tunes.

I have to agree with some that James LaBrie is the weak link. I’m a big DT fan, and James is ok, but his vibrato can be annoying. And yet, I do understand Mr. D. Chalk’s argument that LaBrie is somehow suited for DT. It would be interesting to hear this band with another vocalist. I remember thinking “Oh no!”, when I heard Portnoy (who I completely dig) was leaving. How will they ever replace that phoenom? And then I heard Mangini. Uh, ok......I get it.

So, who would replace LaBrie? Hey Steve Perry, what are you up to these days? ;-)

Regarding LaBrie, I kinda feel sorry for him because the noise about his inadequacy is fairly loud. Even worse, recent CD releases (like Octovarium, I believe) have a second disk of all songs without vocals. I’d be insulted. There have been times where his vibrato got on my nerves, too, but not as much as the lyrics. Sometimes those are a bit whiney.

Suddenly I want to pull out the MkIII, the Cu24, and annoy the neighbors with 120 dB of Pull Me Under. Ooh! And I want to tweak the harmonizer in the Kemper to see if I can pull off the intro to Under a Glass Moon.

Last edited:
Suddenly I want to pull out the MkIII, the Cu24, and annoy the neighbors with 120 dB of Pull Me Under. Ooh! And I want to tweak the harmonizer in the Kemper to see if I can pull off the intro to Under a Glass Moon.

Do it! If you're not going to get that Santana, at least do this!

I have to agree with some that James LaBrie is the weak link. I’m a big DT fan, and James is ok, but his vibrato can be annoying. And yet, I do understand Mr. D. Chalk’s argument that LaBrie is somehow suited for DT. It would be interesting to hear this band with another vocalist. I remember thinking “Oh no!”, when I heard Portnoy (who I completely dig) was leaving. How will they ever replace that phoenom? And then I heard Mangini. Uh, ok......I get it.

So, who would replace LaBrie? Hey Steve Perry, what are you up to these days? ;-)

Regarding LaBrie, I kinda feel sorry for him because the noise about his inadequacy is fairly loud. Even worse, recent CD releases (like Octovarium, I believe) have a second disk of all songs without vocals. I’d be insulted. There have been times where his vibrato got on my nerves, too, but not as much as the lyrics. Sometimes those are a bit whiney.

I with you guys. I love LaBrie's voice on the records. Live, it wears on me. The upper register/falsetto thing often misses the mark. I know, getting older, and a rough spell years back with his voice. He's lucky to still be singing. It's also way down in the mix, live. Not sure if they're trying to cover it up, or just think everyone wants to hear the instruments in the forefront. Not that I mind that! The end result, IMO, is that he has to try to push it to keep up.

As for a replacement, that's always a fun hypothetical. In no particular order, except for the 1st one:

Tony Harnell - great voice and I think he could cover all the ground needed, and then some.

The rest:
Lance King
Russell Allen
Fabio Lione
Edu Falaschi
Nils K. Rue
The dude from Bad Salad - Denis Oliveira (check them out if you've never heard of them)

I saw "Pull Me Under" late one night on 'Headbanger's Ball'.

It changed the way I viewed music in the same way as other musical moment in my life:
- My mom's copy of "Rubber Soul"
- Buying my first 45 of Duran Duran's "The Reflex"
- At summer camp, dubbing a 5th generation tape copy of "In the Court of the Crimson King"
- iTunes suggesting "The Sound of Muzak" by Porcupine Tree
- Finding Periphery's "Scarlet" on YouTube

Each medium has that one defining artist/album/track for me, apparently.

Holy crap! That is exactly how I discovered Dream Theater! Watching Headbangers Ball one night and Pull Me Under came on. I was in awe. A few weeks later, they started playing “Take the Time.” Now I was hoooked. Then the biggest fluke of all... one night we were fishing and it started sprinkling rain. It was warm and not threatening but we didn’t bring rain gear so we decided to wait it out in car. The second we got on the car, the “Midnight Theater came on WTUE Dayton. The album that night, Images and Words. 15 minutes later it stopped raining and my two buddies got out and went back down to the lake. I cranked it and listened to the whole album. The rest is history...

Last edited by a moderator:
I with you guys. I love LaBrie's voice on the records. Live, it wears on me. The upper register/falsetto thing often misses the mark. I know, getting older, and a rough spell years back with his voice. He's lucky to still be singing. It's also way down in the mix, live. Not sure if they're trying to cover it up, or just think everyone wants to hear the instruments in the forefront. Not that I mind that! The end result, IMO, is that he has to try to push it to keep up.

As for a replacement, that's always a fun hypothetical. In no particular order, except for the 1st one:

Tony Harnell - great voice and I think he could cover all the ground needed, and then some.

The rest:
Lance King
Russell Allen
Fabio Lione
Edu Falaschi
Nils K. Rue
The dude from Bad Salad - Denis Oliveira (check them out if you've never heard of them)

I’d rather the vocalist NOT sound like James LaBrie. I’d prefer to hear a different vibe on vocals.

Back