Dragon ii treble Pole piece spacing

bbosla

Hi guys. I got used Dragon ii Nickel Cover set recently.
And the treble has no cover.

I wanted to recover it with traditional size cover to look good.
So... I tried 49.2 mm and...

it doesn't match~!!!

PRS is bit narrower than 49.2mm
it's almost 48.8mm.
It even doesn't fit with PRS SE bridge.
Is my DRG2 treble is weird?
Or every DRG2 pickup spacing is narrow than normal??

Then.. what size of cover would fit ?
Help me plz~~~

20170405_150916.jpg
20170405_150932.jpg

Last edited:
Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but are you sure you have a Dragon II Treble pickup? i.e. is it marked in some manner similar to the other one? Maybe someone did a pickup swap and then the guitar got sold as having Dragon II pups (because that was stock), and then you bought them from the new owner after he'she did another pup swap, and now you don't really have a pair of Dragon II pickups, maybe just a Bass and one from another brand?

Can you post pictures?

Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but are you sure you have a Dragon II Treble pickup? i.e. is it marked in some manner similar to the other one? Maybe someone did a pickup swap and then the guitar got sold as having Dragon II pups (because that was stock), and then you bought them from the new owner after he'she did another pup swap, and now you don't really have a pair of Dragon II pickups, maybe just a Bass and one from another brand?

Can you post pictures?

20170510_120956.jpg
20170510_121146.jpg

Hmmm... the dc ohm is right. Just.. it doesn't make sense that treble has same pole piece spacing w neck.
As sinskma said, their are chances some might have changed some neck pickup with original treble and switched the sticker.
But there's no 12kohm neck pup on prs list.

What do you think??

it doesn't make sense that treble has same pole piece spacing w neck.

Makes total sense, actually. PRS generally sticks to the vintage pole piece spacing of 49.2mm for all positions.

The picture links do not work for me. Just to cover all bases: you're measuring the poles center-to-center, correct? And you're positive the cover you bought is 49.2mm and not 50mm (another common spacing)?

Otherwise, I'm stumped. Maybe embrace the Tremonti look? Or remove the neck cover so they match?

I couldn't see the pics in the post, I had to grab the links and look at them in a new browser tab.

Anyway, if i read how you are measuring the pole pieces using that caliper, it looks like it is reading "roughly" 49mm.

I would suggest you measure from the top side of the pickup, since although the measurement from the bottom should be identical, well, should =/= always.

Anyway, 0.2mm is such a small amount that I doubt it would result in an obvious mis-alignment.

Can you post a photo of the cover on the pickup so we can observe the mis-alignment ourselves? I would suspect instead that you did not get sent a 49.2mm cover, instead you were sent a 50mm or something. Maybe post an image of the calipers on the new cover? Hole-center to hole-center.

Also, you had said:

But there's no 12kohm neck pup on prs list.

According to the PRS Accessories shop, the Dragon II pups are both 12kOhm.

So I think it is probably a Dragon II.

Thanks for your advice guys~!
Anyway I am sorry for photo problem.
I wold add my page address below and you'll see the picture by ctrl C + V.

Btw, the pickup cover I tried, was Epi neck cover which has exact 49.2mm spacing.
And the DRG was bit narrower than epi cover as garret said.
And as shinksma said, there was obvious mis alignment between DRG and epi cover.
I tried to forct it to match the pole piece hole, but it doesn't work well.

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?...ListManageOpen=false&userTopListCurrentPage=1

Hi, I am just updating the result.

I just made mistake to recover it with Epi neck pickup cover which has 50mm pole piece spacing.
Since they have a 0.8mm clearence, it's hard to tell the difference by eye.

For this, I ve odered 49.2mm pup cover, and If i done the work, I will post it soon.
Thanks guys.

Hi, I am just updating the result.

I just made mistake to recover it with Epi neck pickup cover which has 50mm pole piece spacing.
Since they have a 0.8mm clearence, it's hard to tell the difference by eye.

For this, I ve odered 49.2mm pup cover, and If i done the work, I will post it soon.
Thanks guys.
Aha, well, there ya go. I didn't know the pole spacing on an Epi (there is probably more than one, I'm guessing), so glad you figured it out.

Back