Does anyone prefer the CE22 to the CU22?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I'm starting to think I do! They're very different guitars and they resonate and sound different too...even with the same pickups.

I've always been a Strat guy as much as a Gibson guy, although I switched to PRS for my Gibson sounds in the 90's.

The CE22 seems to be a nice blend of the two: the alder body, bolt on maple neck of a Strat vs. mahogany body and glued in mahogany neck of a Les Paul.

I like the way the CE resonates. Seems more lively and clear...like a Strat.

Whereas the CU seems a little flatter and less resonant...like a Les Paul.

That was kind of Les Paul's goal. He felt he would get a purer sound with more sustain if the string energy wasn't spent making the guitar vibrate.

And my CU22 doesn't have a vibrato and my CE22 does. I'm liking the vibrato.

Both have original Dragon pickups.

Last edited:
I started selling PRS guitars in 1996 and I sold them for 18 years. I have always been convinced that the original core CE’s were superior guitars to the Customs. I played tons of CE-22’s and Custom 22’s over the years, many times in back-to-back comparisons with customers letting them hear for themselves. I can’t tell you how many customers played both, said the CE sounded better, and still bought the Custom because they had convinced themselves that it had to be better because it had a set neck and was more expensive.

I started selling PRS guitars in 1996 and I sold them for 18 years. I have always been convinced that the original core CE’s were superior guitars to the Customs. I played tons of CE-22’s and Custom 22’s over the years, many times in back-to-back comparisons with customers letting them hear for themselves. I can’t tell you how many customers played both, said the CE sounded better, and still bought the Custom because they had convinced themselves that it had to be better because it had a set neck and was more expensive.
I’m hearing the same thing. I’m loving the sound of this 97 CE22. I'm liking it better than my '95 CU22 which is shocking!

Last edited:
OP the CE 22 is my favorite guitar of all time...I have 3 standard 22s in my collection but I love the feel and sound of the CE....wish I could find a decent one for a decent price!

I've never tried a CE22 but would like to find one. As much as I like my 24 fret Mira, the neck pickup doesn't have the sonority of my 21 and 22 fret guitars. I think having the pickup at the octave has something special. But I've never designed nor built a guitar.

I've never tried a CE22 but would like to find one. As much as I like my 24 fret Mira, the neck pickup doesn't have the sonority of my 21 and 22 fret guitars. I think having the pickup at the octave has something special. But I've never designed nor built a guitar.
I only play 22 fret guitars and have an S2 Mira as well...but only because I see the fretboard as a grid and I get lost on 24 frets guitars while playing up there lol

I only play 22 fret guitars and have an S2 Mira as well...but only because I see the fretboard as a grid and I get lost on 24 frets guitars while playing up there lol
I'm the same way. 22 frets. When the neck pickup is moved towards the middle of the guitar an inch it no longer sounds the way I want it to sound. Simple as that. I like having the polepieces under the second octave harmonic, which is where the 24th fret is on a 24 fret guitar. Sounds deeper and fuller when the neck pickup is in that position.

And the CE22 has become my favorite PRS. The maple bolt on neck and alder body with maple top just sounds "better" to me. Livlier. More resonant.

Much different sound than my CU22's.

My ears tell me you're right.

It's all a matter of preference of course.

Maybe I'm just used to the way the neck pickups on the Gibsons and Strats I grew up with sound, before 24 fret guitars became popular.

Last edited:
Actually most CE’s have a mahogany body, not alder. They switched to mahogany in 1995. I think they brought the alder back for a couple years sometime in the 2010’s, but most CE’s are mahogany.
Interesting. I'm a woodworker and cabinet maker. Sure looks like alder. Next time i change strings I'll take a serious look under the pickups.

Last edited:
I'm a CU22 over CE22 guy. I like set neck tones.

But that doesn't mean my opinion is any more important than anyone else's. All of this stuff is entirely personal, and all opinions about the tone that works for them are completely, 100% valid.

Well, except for tube amps vs modelers. Because tube amps are IT, and modelers AIN'T IT. ;)

Argue if you want, I've got my ears plugged!

I'm a CU22 over CE22 guy. I like set neck tones.

But that doesn't mean my opinion is any more important than anyone else's. All of this stuff is entirely personal, and all opinions about the tone that works for them are completely, 100% valid.

Well, except for tube amps vs modelers. Because tube amps are IT, and modelers AIN'T IT. ;)

Argue if you want, I've got my ears plugged!
I’m not going to argue. It’s all about whether a guitar takes you to that “zone” or not.

I really like Strats and Silver Skys and I think a lot of that tone I like is generated by the bolt on maple neck rather than a glued in mahogany neck.

And the CE22 has a bolt on maple neck like my Strats and Silver Skys.

I’m not going to argue. It’s all about whether a guitar takes you to that “zone” or not.

I really like Strats and Silver Skys and I think a lot of that tone I like is generated by the bolt on maple neck rather than a glued in mahogany neck.

And the CE22 has a bolt on maple neck like my Strats and Silver Skys.
Exactly!

My guess is more people prefer the bolt-on, maple neck tones to set mahogany neck tones, but of course, it's just a guess. But they're definitely different, right?

Therein lies the beauty. Each of us gets to be unique, with our own creative and tone ideas. A wonderful thing!

And here's the back of my '97 CE22. Maybe it is mahogany. It's not as distinctive a grain as my other two guitars, which is why I took it for alder. But under a bright light, it looks like it could be mahogany after all.

Yeah I can see why you’d mistake it for alder, it kinda has that sort of grain pattern. But if you look at the specs for late-90’s CE’s you’ll see that they had mahogany bodies from 1995 on (actually late ‘94 I guess because mine was built in December 1994 and it has a mahogany body. I know because I removed the finish.)

Back