does a floyd rose reduce the gain and frequencies ?

phil1234567

Hi,

I have a floyd rose Washburn N2 so I am a big fan of floyd roses

but as I want to purchase a guitar that has the sound span of a PRS or gibson
should I rather prefer a regular trem block ?

thanks

Not sure that a Floyd Rose reduces gain and frequencies or else they wouldn't be so widely used...anyways...you can't go wrong with a McCarty model or Custom 22 to rival Gibson's sound. Of course it's all subjective but if PRS guitars sing to you get one and you'll never look back at a Washburn again! Cheers and Good Luck!!!

Hi,

I have a floyd rose Washburn N2 so I am a big fan of floyd roses

but as I want to purchase a guitar that has the sound span of a PRS or gibson
should I rather prefer a regular trem block ?

thanks

You can get near Floyd like scope ( on a PRS, eg CU22, 24 ) with the PRS DD upgrade from Wudtone and have all the PRS goodies like better upper fret access. The Wudtone has a full 20degree tilt capability. It will also shift the dynamic/ tone to be more Les Paul tone.

In terms of trem scope it is not quite designed for slack string type dives but close, same pivot design scope in use on this video
( some dive at the end) and an upgraded PRS guitar in action on this gary moore riff video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a SE this afternoon, pretty disapointed, so I guess I'll have to buy an american PRS instead

and upgrading a ~1800$ guitar , no bloody way...nice start sound btw, just gorgeous

interesting concept but not really a floyd rose

Last edited:
The guitar in the 2nd vid is only the 3rd PRS I've had, it cost me less than £900 (had no pickups). For a humbucker equipped set neck, mahogany maple combo, I used to play Gibson R9, but I find it hard to get around the thick heel /body for leads nowadays. So the combo of PRS, lovely looks, top carve , upper fret access, etc plus the dynamic changes, driven by the Wudtone bridge ( steel not brass etc) , gets me closer to real Les Paul grunt and bite, much better playability and it stands me at less than 1/2 of what I had previously invested in the Gibson R9. Didn't lose any money on it though!. I do like what this CU22 does now.

the dynamic changes, driven by the Wudtone bridge ( steel not brass etc) , gets me closer to real Les Paul grunt and bite, much better playability and it stands me at less than 1/2 of what I had previously invested in the Gibson R9. Didn't lose any money on it though!. I do like what this CU22 does now.

It sounds good, but not very LP-ish to my ear. More metallic. Might be the way you set the amp or recorded it.

It sounds good, but not very LP-ish to my ear. More metallic. Might be the way you set the amp or recorded it.
maybe you are right, another video here , starting with more of the tone and vol backed off, its on facebook so not sure if you can see it,

To be fair this guitar plays lovely, IMHO it does have good Les Paul esque, grunt and bite, headroom, and you hear this being kicked in at - 59 and then even more at -22 , hey ho , you can probably tell I really love this CU22 and mainly because it lets me play all my fave bits of Thin Lizzy which I can no longer do very well on a Les Paul ! kind regards

Last edited:
Back