Distance from string edge to the beginning of the fret chamfer?

Chris101

Hello,

I’ve recently purchased a Hollowbody II SE, my first PRS guitar and it has exceeded my expectations, which were already high due to the many positive reviews and comments, it truly is a joy to play.

However, I’m looking for a bit or reassurance to set my mind at rest on one thing, at the 1st fret there is only 1/32nd” / 1mm of 'usable' fret from the edge of the high e string to where the fret tapers off at the edge of the fingerboard, it’s noticeably less than on my other guitars. I know good technique would mean the string is always depressed without a hint of sideways movement, but I’m far from perfect! Is this normal for PRS guitars or has someone been bit over enthusiastic putting the chamfer on the edge of the fingerboard and fret ends? The low e string looks worse because of its thickness but where it contacts the fret probably leaves a similar distance before the taper starts.

I can’t say I’ve noticed the ‘e’ string slip off yet, so I’m hoping it’s just a visual thing that looks a little less than generous, and is actually because PRS build with more precision and don’t need the leeway of other makes.

I’d be most grateful to hear if is this is normal, many thanks, Chris

Hey, I saw this post and thought I'd join the forum. I bought a Hollowbody a few months back. The guitar is very slick and beautiful-I've played it mostly acoustically and only briefly through amps, so I don't really know how it sounds under driven conditions.

I have noticed that when doing pull-offs on the high E string (particularly down the neck closer to the nut), that the string often slides off the ends of the fret. Not sure if that is due to the chamfering you referenced, nut or fret length (or neck width relative to the nut width). Perhaps it is due to less string tension? I've tried to duplicate that condition on the old L6S that I have, but it doesn't happen. Wondering if there is any adjustment, or if anyone else has noticed this issue?

i have not measured the distance but the MEV i play a lot gives me the same issues when doing pull offs on the high e string up near the nut.
I have to be very deliberate to avoid it. I’ve thought of it more as my own issue but maybe the guitar is playing a small part.

I was passing a guitar store on Saturday and looked in and they had the Hollowbody SE standard, the chamfer on the fret ends were at a lesser angle than mine leaving noticeable more usable fret, so I’m assuming it is down to the aesthetic choice of the person doing that bit on the neck.

I did think about returning mine and asking for a replacement, but was told the ones they had looked at seemed to be the same and there was no guarantee I’d be any happier with a replacement. I was on the fence about the guitar, in every other way it exceeded my expectations. In the end I decided that with clean technique it wasn’t an issue, it only bit me if I landed on either e string poorly, so in a way the guitar would point out where I was being sloppy, thankfully only a few time in any one practice session if at all. I then caught Covid and really didn’t care much about anything for a week so my window to exchange disappeared with the last stocks of this guitar, and I notice that the SE Hollow Body II guitars have been removed from the Website of the very large UK music store I bought it from, so no option to preorder or get notified when new stock comes in, making me wonder if PRS are not continuing with it, and why I was able to get it at a great price.

I do love this guitar and it was a fantastic introduction to PRS, but I do wish they’d not be quite so keen to bevel the edge of the fingerboard to the degree they did.

A photo of the fret end and high e string.

Back