Differences in Guitar Tone

jdag

I am brand new to all things guitars...and happily learning a ton every day. But I was really surprised at something that I learned last night, and want to verify what I found with some experts.

I have a PRS SE Custom 24. It is a 2017 model with the 85/15S pickups. My nephew has a new ESP LTD EC256 guitar. It is a Les Paul style, with humbucker pickups. Both guitars are 100% stock.

I noticed that my SE Custom 24 is way way way "brighter" (I hope I am using that term correctly). It has a much more "piercing and sharp" tone. While the ESP was more round and full. I really have to dial down the mids and treble on the PRS to get it close to the ESP.

This little experiment was done with all controls on each guitar set to max, using the same amp, not adjusting amp controls, and even using the same cable.

Is this to be expected? I mean, I've watched a ton of YouTube comparisons, but I've never experienced the differences 1st hand.

Thanks for helping this new guy!

Yep, it's real and expected. Your ears are correct. Each tone comes with it's own benefits and draw backs. The Brighter tone will pierce may not be warm and creamy, but it will pierce through the accompanying music when a solo is wanted for example. The warm tone is fuller but can sound muddy when cranked and doesn't cut through nearly as well. So each has it's moment to shine.

You can turn the tone knob back to about 4 or 5 and it will cut the brightness of the Cu24 and maybe get you the tone you are looking for. You can't brighten the ESP if the tone knob is already on 10.

. . . also differing scale lengths, strings, pickups, pots and capacitors, the guitar lead, etc will alter the sound greatly so yes your experience was to be expected :)

I would agree with your tone report and yes it's expected. The affordable ec-256 is no slouch and a great sounding guitar in its own right. I have one in my collection and it's the only import guitar I own that I left the stock import pickups in.

One great thing about PRSes is that the tone and volume controls are actually useful to get different shades of tone color from the guitar. This isn't always the case with lots of guitars! Try rolling back the guitar volume a little, turn up your amp, and also...working the tone controls on the amp is highly recommended. ;)

The tone is in the fingers first (for example, try picking or strumming close to the bridge, then close to the neck), amp (I'm presuming this remains constant in your setup, but still worth mentioning), strings, pick, pickups, pickup height...everything affects tone.

I knew you would all have some great input. I am glad that I've discovered this for myself, as opposed to just verbally being told that guitars sound different. This was very eye opening.

And I agree with bluenova that the ESP LTD EC256 is very very nice, and worth every cent.

Back