Difference between ....

Tridyed

Looking for info on the difference between and 'C' and the "H" style heads, they seem very close to the same but I can't find info about them so see what is different.

Thanks

In stock form its the transformers and power tubes
H = 6L6 power tubes with Heyboer transformer. ( you can use EL34s with a bias adjustment )
C = EL34 power tubes with Cinemag transformer.

From my understanding C is more vintage sounding and H is more Modern sounding

To elaborate a bit, C is designed to mate components with EL34 tubes that bring out the best performance of that power stage. It will tend to be mid-heavy, so it will cut through a mix well, but can sound a bit nasal on its own. But the big bloom of EL34 is a favorite for classic tones. The constrained lows will translate to tighter bottom-end, and the softer highs keep the amp from sounding shrieky.

The H is alternatively designed to accentuate its 6L6 power stage. That means big lows, lots of highs, and tons of punch. Great for modern tones, or for lower tunings, sparser mixes, or a fuller tone standing on its own. It should give bigger, cleaner cleans and have more headroom for thundering dirt with lots of punch.

I have both. I find the clean of the C to be fantastic. The C dirt is more "classic rock", whereas the dirt of the H is more "modern", and the clean breaks up quicker. I a/b'd the H to a Bogner Shiva and couldn't really tell them apart. The C does its own awesome thing. Hope this helps.

have always liked the tone of the C, will either have to get one, or try EL34's in my Custom 50. Decisions, decisions...

I've never heard a C, and still haven't bought EL34s to try in my Custom 50. I really need to do that...

Thank you for the info... I was looking at both models and they looked so close I couldn't really tell.

I am kind of torn between one of these or the HX/DA. being an old ABB/Gvt't Mule/TTB player it's kind of down to the HXDA or a "C". and no I can't afford both 8)

As someone stated above... decisions decisions....

Thank you for the info... I was looking at both models and they looked so close I couldn't really tell.

I am kind of torn between one of these or the HX/DA. being an old ABB/Gvt't Mule/TTB player it's kind of down to the HXDA or a "C". and no I can't afford both 8)

As someone stated above... decisions decisions....

The HXDA is a different beast altogether from the C and the H.

First, it's a single channel amp. It's got more hand wiring inside. Its Cinemag transformer was cloned from Duane Allman's actual "Live at the Fillmore" amp (in fact, the circuitry was as well), and with the switches in the "DA" positions, it's a real-deal, fire-breathing Marshall Plexi Superbass from that era.

However, it's got a couple of sweet tricks up its sleeve.

The "HX" positions were cloned from Eric Johnson's Plexi, that was supposed to have been owned by Hendrix. And in fact, it does that thing that old Plexis used to do, in spades.

But the really cool thing is that you can set some of the switches DA, and some HX, and create your own ideal Plexi. Instead of blending the Plexi's channel inputs via jumpers, it's done internally, so there are two bendable gain controls.

I love mine, and it replaced a very fine Two-Rock and a Mesa Mark V. In fact, I had a session guy I use over at my studio today, and he was marveling over how it sounded with his Tele.

There's no downside, but you should be aware that running a single channel Plexi style amp means you set it up differently than you would a channel switcher, and you get the gain or clean it up via your guitar's volume control.

I had an old plexi back when I was a teen.. at that point you could pick them up cheap because no one wanted them... all the rage was the new Marshall's with the pre amps in them .I am ok with out the channel switcher really, it tends to not be as drastic on the sound/tone changes like channel switchers are at times. Problem back then was being able to let them loose without killing people in front of your amp.... and the sound man wanting to kill you.

I think a bit of concern I have heard is them not doing chords well, that doesn't sound like a Plexi at all... are you having that issue?

I have a Boogie Mark III no stripe that I love but I want something to have around to get that old Plexi tone beside it. Hard for most amps to really sound like a Plexi

Last edited:
Guess I need an amp switcher so I can just take all the amps to the gigs and take up the whole stage like the drummer does.... LOL

Tell the drummer he has to use his "stray cats" kit so I can fit my amps in....... Yea that should work 8)

Other band members get to the gig and see the stage and look around " Ok if we all pick a small footprint we should all fit"

Drummer gets there and looks around..."I should have brought more drums to fill the stage up"

Back