Did U Ever Have To 'Splain

Just figured I'd share that my first time coming across this thread and reading people's interpretations of the lyrics to "White Room" the song happened to be playing on the radio.

I had to 'splain the concept behind Styx's Kilroy was Here album to my wife, and how it is an allegory to George Orwell's 1984. That made for a long tense car ride.
The original Kilroy was here originated in ww2. My dad, who was a ww2 vet, told me about it. In ww2, a g.i. Named Kilroy would write “Kilroy was here” and draw a small cartoon figure head everywhere he went in the war. He apparently got around a lot. It quickly became a “thing” if you happened to spot one of his “tags”. My dad actually saw some of them. It has since entered the realm of urban legend, but that was the origin.

The original Kilroy was here originated in ww2. My dad, who was a ww2 vet, told me about it. In ww2, a g.i. Named Kilroy would write “Kilroy was here” and draw a small cartoon figure head everywhere he went in the war. He apparently got around a lot. It quickly became a “thing” if you happened to spot one of his “tags”. My dad actually saw some of them. It has since entered the realm of urban legend, but that was the origin.

in the Styx story, Killroy, or Robert Orin Charles Killroy, was a Rock n Roller, jailed by the evil Dr. Righteous. The album as a whole was a dig at the PMRC for trying to force record companies and music groups to use Explicit Lyric labels. (which eventually succeeded)

in the Styx story, Killroy, or Robert Orin Charles Killroy, was a Rock n Roller, jailed by the evil Dr. Righteous. The album as a whole was a dig at the PMRC for trying to force record companies and music groups to use Explicit Lyric labels. (which eventually succeeded)
Interesting how things get recycled and morph into totally different things. I remember tipper gore and her pmrc hearings before congress. Maybe there was even an older Kilroy was here before ww2.

Okay.

Somebody help me with ZZ Top's "Jesus Just Left Chicago" please. 30 years ago my school teacher was "splaining" songs and used American Pie. Then when we asked about Jesus Just Left Chicago we could tell he was BS-ing.

I don't know, I think every Cream song was hard to decipher. While there may have been easy reference for some, it was gobbledygook to a 18 yr old kid from Texas...but it rocked... and that SG.....and I guess Jesus got around a bunch.....

Okay.

Somebody help me with ZZ Top's "Jesus Just Left Chicago" please. 30 years ago my school teacher was "splaining" songs and used American Pie. Then when we asked about Jesus Just Left Chicago we could tell he was BS-ing.

Cant recall all the lyrics at the moment, but it is a take on redemption. Jesus done left chicago and he is bound for new orleans. He is leaving one blues town to go to another. To save the sinners of the blues. He turned muddy water into wine. In the bible, Jesus turns water to wine. The Mississippi River is called the muddy Mississippi. Muddy Waters spent time in New Orleans and Mississippi ( obviously another bluestown. This verse is cool and that they use a blues legend, Muddy Waters, as a reference to the water into wine. Hence, another bluesman saved. He is traveling from one coast to another and all points in between. Jesus is getting round to all the bluesmen. He may not see you in person, but he will see you just the same, cause taking care of business is his name. There is hope for everyone. Just because you don't see him in person, does not mean you out of luck. It is a faith thing.

Basically that is it. Jesus saving the bluesmen from the Devil. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
Lol. When I hear the line "Taking care of business " I immediately think Elvis Presley, so I've created a whole narrative concerning him and his Delta Blues and gospel origins, and his Jesus-like following.

Back