DIAGNOSING BAD VOLUME POTS

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
I've had two volume pots on Core PRSi go bad quickly after playing each just a few times out of the box. My 594 and a P24. Tap the VOL pot and it grounds out like a downed airplane. Turn the pot and you get static. The solder joints appear to be good; they're shiny and don't move when agitated. Anyone else have this problem?

I've had two volume pots on Core PRSi go bad quickly after playing each just a few times out of the box. My 594 and a P24. Tap the VOL pot and it grounds out like a downed airplane. Turn the pot and you get static. The solder joints appear to be good; they're shiny and don't move when agitated. Anyone else have this problem?

I had one go bad. PRS took care of it.

I was trying to avoid the brown van, so I bought a soldering kit, opened up the back panel and very quickly realized I was out of my wheelhouse. I could probably figure it out, but at the same time ruin four or five other good things.

I was trying to avoid the brown van, so I bought a soldering kit, opened up the back panel and very quickly realized I was out of my wheelhouse. I could probably figure it out, but at the same time ruin four or five other good things.

I feel this!

I've learned to do my own soldering, it's a useful skill to have because the truth of it is, crap on guitars breaks. Probably don't learn on your core guitars... but if you work on it, you'll get there soon enough.

I've learned to do my own soldering, it's a useful skill to have because the truth of it is, crap on guitars breaks. Probably don't learn on your core guitars... but if you work on it, you'll get there soon enough.
"Probably don't learn on your core guitars..." EXACTLY!

Good advice, andy474x. I'll have to work my way up. I once installed a Bartolini harness and added taps into a bass I built years ago. I melted the soldering iron tips in the process. Minus that, it turned out beautifully. I shielded the control cavity and plate back with copper tape and soldered the panel margins together. That bass is super quiet. I recall also frying a few pots with overheating. Maybe I'll start on a partscaster before slaying a Core some day.

I hear you, brother. I have the same wheelhouse limitation.

It’s not that I can’t solder - I’m fine with fixing a cable. But every time I work on a guitar beyond something like...say...polishing it, Something un-good happens.

So if I have something go bad (and pots and switches are notorious for that), I would rather send it to PRS.

If the pot is bad, you can't fix it. It will need to be replaced.

I'd ask them for a new pot and replace it, but if you're not confident, send it in.

"Probably don't learn on your core guitars..." EXACTLY!

Good advice, andy474x. I'll have to work my way up. I once installed a Bartolini harness and added taps into a bass I built years ago. I melted the soldering iron tips in the process. Minus that, it turned out beautifully. I shielded the control cavity and plate back with copper tape and soldered the panel margins together. That bass is super quiet. I recall also frying a few pots with overheating. Maybe I'll start on a partscaster before slaying a Core some day.

I've done some ugly solder jobs, but the beauty is that it's all covered up in the control cavity! As long as the connections are good and everything goes to the right place, and no parts get burnt to toast. I picked up some brass heat sink alligator clips from Stewmac (probably for twice as much as I could've gotten them elsewhere) but they work well to protect from overheating. And, using a setting on the iron hot enough to melt the solder quickly, not having to let the heat sit on it eternally.

I hear you, brother. I have the same wheelhouse limitation.

It’s not that I can’t solder - I’m fine with fixing a cable. But every time I work on a guitar beyond something like...say...polishing it, Something un-good happens.

So if I have something go bad (and pots and switches are notorious for that), I would rather send it to PRS.
I think I'll do just that. Un-good is no good! I'm feeling you!

I've done some ugly solder jobs, but the beauty is that it's all covered up in the control cavity! As long as the connections are good and everything goes to the right place, and no parts get burnt to toast. I picked up some brass heat sink alligator clips from Stewmac (probably for twice as much as I could've gotten them elsewhere) but they work well to protect from overheating. And, using a setting on the iron hot enough to melt the solder quickly, not having to let the heat sit on it eternally.
I believe the first time I tried to tin a pot, you could've baked a pie on it, it was so hot. When the pot sounds like both sides are wired to Thomas Edison's tombstone and you know they're not... I think I flattened that pot with a hammer since I couldn't jettison it to a nearby planet. Live and learn.

Little flux, solder, and the Weller soldering station... BAM... back in action. :D

Little flux, solder, and the Weller soldering station... BAM... back in action. :D
i received my prs se 24 yesterday, its a lefty, i am having the same trouble with the volume pot right at the max level, popping, volume loss etc...should i replace it with the same one, or is there something better to replace it with, i want to play it, not work on it lol any advice is appreciated in advance

Back