DGT Push/Pull

Dave G

Hi,
I'm new so I will appologise in advance as no doubt this subject has been discussed before.........

I fail to understand why the coil-split on the the tone pot of the DGT is a push/pull and not a push/push. The push/pull is almost unpullable in the heat of battle. Seriously! It is far from an ideal design of knob to be trying to pull at the best of times and it is not as though it is situatted in a position where a push/push knob could be unintentionally activated.

So, I really would appreciate knowing why a push/pull is being used and not a push/push. If there is no reasoning behind this and a push/push could be installed as an alternative could someone tell me the make/rating of pot I need to buy to make this guitar 100 x more usable than it currently is.

Many thanks

I have modded all my guitars with push/push pots instead of push/pull. So much easier to operate.

Well Johan...I'm sure that some people will probably delight in telling you that the spring-loaded mechanism in the push/push will eventually fail and the pot will be stuck in the up position, but personally (like you) I think I'd far rather take my chances with that and at least have a function on a guitar that I can use........

Well Johan...I'm sure that some people will probably delight in telling you that the spring-loaded mechanism in the push/push will eventually fail and the pot will be stuck in the up position, but personally (like you) I think I'd far rather take my chances with that and at least have a function on a guitar that I can use........

Absolutely, I may well wear one out in 15 years or so (when was the last time you wore out a pen). It’s probably a good ideal to replace all pots by then anyway. And whenever I play a gig, I always bring a backup guitar anyway.

Go for it, it’s just better!

I am trying some push push pots in one of mine they do stick up a bit more than standard Push Pull
The problem I am having so far is that the Push Push pots that I have tried do not have as nice a tapper as other pots I have used

I find that the issue is the shape of the knobs. PRS’ pots sound very good, personally I’d rather change a knob than a pot.

My 2010 DGTwith the old knobs works great.Very easy to pull up for split sounds.

Agreed. I was going to swap the Vintage Speed Knobs for the Lampshades, but decided 1) wasn't worth the $$$, because I'd have to buy an odd number, three(3), 2) The older style kept the original look, 3) Never had a problem with the pull/push function in the first place.

I put lampshades on my Mccarty but they were difficult to pull up. They look cool as hell but hard to grip so switched back. Dang

I find that the issue is the shape of the knobs. PRS’ pots sound very good, personally I’d rather change a knob than a pot.
I'd have to agree with Les, here. There are a couple much easier fixes available...one of the coolest being knobs like on the sig. Dimebag guitars...with holes drilled into the sides...sounds goofy but will absolutely help in pulling knobs up...or wrap a couple rubber bands around the knob...or...you get the idea...

Hi guys, for the first time I actually replaced a push/push with a push/pull. I've put a Ghost Piezo in my Siggy Ltd and i replaced the tone pot with a push/push pot to switch between magnetic and piezo pickups. Works great. And I had a bit of a scare at rehearsal where I had to push a couple of time for it to stick down in magnetic mode. So before next gig I replaced the pot with a push/pull instead. It really came down to that normally, if a push/push would fail, I would end up having to continue playing with split coils - i.e. not a really big deal. But with the piezo/magnetic selection, it would be a big deal so when it absolutely guaranteed can never fail, I'd go with a push/pull and otherwise I'll use push/push that are so much nicer to operate.

I tell you guys, I've been happily pushin' and pullin' with lampshades for over two years now. From sweaty 90+ degree summer gigs to freezing my butt off in 48 degrees last Saturday. You just have to stop grabbing the barrel of the knob and get under the bottom edge instead.

I've commented on this point too many times here.
Some people seem to have no problem with it, while others say they "adjust" to it.
I say BS. Probably 90% of review videos I've watched with any PRS with push/pull lampshades show the reviewer fidgeting/fighting with it... it's a common problem that I'm shocked hasn't been 'corrected' yet.
Anyway, this has been my solution for years...
fMy340N.jpg

I'd have to agree with Les, here. There are a couple much easier fixes available...one of the coolest being knobs like on the sig. Dimebag guitars...with holes drilled into the sides...sounds goofy but will absolutely help in pulling knobs up...or wrap a couple rubber bands around the knob...or...you get the idea...
I actually have a “vape band” from a 22mm e-cig on mine. Works like a champ.

Bump for an annoying problem. Any other ideas? Cool replacement knobs with better grip?

I’m a sucker for the lampshades, so the push/push made it unnecessary for me to change.

I've got an idea I've been wanting to try.

Get wood dowel that fits into lampshade. Put it in a drill with higher speed. Make mark on lampshade. Start drill and use a cutting tool to make groove around lampshade. Fit black o ring in groove.

Probably find colored o rings too. I think this would work just need to get off my arse and try it.

Back