Design On A Dimebag VI: How The Grinch Stole Xmas. (A Quickie)

*clicking Watch Thread

f5CXEvr.gif

Alright then..

The holidays kinda jacked up my style with this thread, so I'll get right down to it.

Here it is after I got most of the blue off (again):

f2D6NdL.jpg

While I was prepping this for the new finish, it was decided by the STC crew that the gold hardware needed to go, so I put my best man, Paco on getting the wings off.

bAoJh5B.jpg

IKwYUGI.jpg

After this... well let's just say the sh!t hit the fan (again). My intention was to Goldtop this b!tch. But not just any old gold, I was gonna Gold leaf this bastard in honor of my recently deceased mother with some of the gold leaf she had strewn about her home. You see, I came about this foolishness honestly, in that it was passed down from mother to son. She was the sh!t. When I was growing up I'd watch her refinish furniture, and when I got older, the crazy old hag and I would gold leaf mirrors, etch champagne flutes, and basically attach bling to anything not bolted down (although sometime we'd hit that sh!t too).

F@ck! I miss her so bad...

Anyhow, I went about getting the top all prepared with glue. I spread it out, applied some leaf... and didn't like it. You could see the brush marks under the leaf, so I wiped all that stuff off and started anew. This time using some of the leftover spray adhesive I used for the Gucci and LV guitar (amongst other fabulous projects) and went about setting the gold leaf. That sh!t looked Bangin'! Yo!

Unable to snap a progress pic (seriously.. gold and glue were all over me) due to the ensuing "GoldMember-ness" of it all, I figured I'd grab one once it was all dry. Well.. I needed to lock this sh!t in. Random gold leaf was everywhere in the house, on the sofa, on the doorknobs, in our food... My girl wasn't very psyched about it (lame! Who doesn't want to live in gold?) so I needed to get the first coat of nitro on it to keep it from spreading.

...and then it happened. I masked the thing up, went outside, sprayed it and.... the sh!t turned green! And got cloudy as amotherf@cker too. Ugh! What do you wear with a green guitar anyway?!?

Dejected, I set it aside thinking of ways to fix it. I went out to the store and grabbed more nitro and a couple different colors of spray thinking that maybe I could "metal" it or something. Then the weather got nice. I mean, really really nice! Like 60 degrees in November. I figured it was now or never so I better spray more nitro to build up enough finish to do something because the leaf requires a ton of coats to level out the crinkle-ness of it.

Boom! to my surprise, the old nitro bonded with the new and cured the cloudiness issue, while simultaneously trapping more moisture, and turning more sh!t green! I figured, "f@ck it! I'm just going with it" and so I did...

Pic's in a second... Paco's awake and screaming now.

Alright then..

The holidays kinda jacked up my style with this thread, so I'll get right down to it.

Here it is after I got most of the blue off (again):

f2D6NdL.jpg

While I was prepping this for the new finish, it was decided by the STC crew that the gold hardware needed to go, so I put my best man, Paco on getting the wings off.

bAoJh5B.jpg

IKwYUGI.jpg

After this... well let's just say the sh!t hit the fan (again). My intention was to Goldtop this b!tch. But not just any old gold, I was gonna Gold leaf this bastard in honor of my recently deceased mother with some of the gold leaf she had strewn about her home. You see, I came about this foolishness honestly, in that it was passed down from mother to son. She was the sh!t. When I was growing up I'd watch her refinish furniture, and when I got older, the crazy old hag and I would gold leaf mirrors, etch champagne flutes, and basically attach bling to anything not bolted down (although sometime we'd hit that sh!t too).

F@ck! I miss her so bad...

Anyhow, I went about getting the top all prepared with glue. I spread it out, applied some leaf... and didn't like it. You could see the brush marks under the leaf, so I wiped all that stuff off and started anew. This time using some of the leftover spray adhesive I used for the Gucci and LV guitar (amongst other fabulous projects) and went about setting the gold leaf. That sh!t looked Bangin'! Yo!

Unable to snap a progress pic (seriously.. gold and glue were all over me) due to the ensuing "GoldMember-ness" of it all, I figured I'd grab one once it was all dry. Well.. I needed to lock this sh!t in. Random gold leaf was everywhere in the house, on the sofa, on the doorknobs, in our food... My girl wasn't very psyched about it (lame! Who doesn't want to live in gold?) so I needed to get the first coat of nitro on it to keep it from spreading.

...and then it happened. I masked the thing up, went outside, sprayed it and.... the sh!t turned green! And got cloudy as amotherf@cker too. Ugh! What do you wear with a green guitar anyway?!?

Dejected, I set it aside thinking of ways to fix it. I went out to the store and grabbed more nitro and a couple different colors of spray thinking that maybe I could "metal" it or something. Then the weather got nice. I mean, really really nice! Like 60 degrees in November. I figured it was now or never so I better spray more nitro to build up enough finish to do something because the leaf requires a ton of coats to level out the crinkle-ness of it.

Boom! to my surprise, the old nitro bonded with the new and cured the cloudiness issue, while simultaneously trapping more moisture, and turning more sh!t green! I figured, "f@ck it! I'm just going with it" and so I did...

Pic's in a second... Paco's awake and screaming now.

For those that can't wait...............I think it looks tits! Not man-boobs icky. Big bouncy honkers sweet! That "green" looks cool as hell under different lighting.

Now THAT is what I call a BANGIN' axe! Does it smell like new money? Cause it should! BOOM! Love it bro! Damn Sergio youre creative genius never ceases to amaze! And to think, I thought I was cool because I oredered some lampshades and some black Strap Locks for the CR... Pssfftt, I'm not even close to cool! For real man, this is awsome!! It gives me a serious inferiority complex but it's still AWESOME!

Great read too...Being a newb, I didn't know about your mom, my condolences bud. I lost my pop 10 years ago, kills me and i miss him everyday! I definitely inherited his creative prowess and his passion for music...my mom on the other hand, was kind enough give me the gift of an addictive personality and abandonment issues...thanks maa!o_O

Little man Paco is digging the winged tuners too huh? Like father like son! Love that pic!

Thanks again for sharing this man! Keep Em coming! This sh!t always inspires me and never gets old!! Kudos to you homie!

Last edited:
Paco's a cool kid, and has a creative dad

Blown away by that finish it came out fantastic, really looks good against the satin back too. Love the colour in the gold, adds depth and texture.

Think its best yet, and i loved the bernie.

Back