Delete That Song!

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I had a nice date with the wife this evening but the bar was playing the WORST music.

It got us thinking about songs or even artists we wish we could "never EVER hear again."

On my list:
2 Princes - Spin Doctors
Walking on the Sun - Smash Mouth
How Bizarre - OMC
Pretty much everything from the Hip hop community

What would you delete forever if you had the power?

"Everything from the Hip hop community"?!!?? Surely you jest.

I see you, and raise you the Beatles, Eagles, and Bob Dylan.... and Guns-n-Roses.

"Everything from the Hip hop community"?!!?? Surely you jest.
Fair enough. The Beastie Boys (RIP MCA) can stay. G. Love & Special Sauce too.

But Chris Brown, Mase, Lil Wayne, Lil anybody... "T" anybody... Soulja Boy... Bubba Sparxxx... Romeo... Nick Cannon... all that garbage. Just delete it all. Ugh.

Fair enough. The Beastie Boys (RIP MCA) can stay. RUN DMC, Kool Keith, De La Soul, The Pharcyde, and The Roots too.

But Chris Brown, Mase, Lil Wayne, Lil anybody... "T" anybody... Soulja Boy... Bubba Sparxxx... Romeo... Nick Cannon... all that garbage. Just delete it all. Ugh.

I will agree with al of the above with the exclusion of Lil Kim, cause.. I mean,... come on!
i always assumed you were a brother of the funk, and I understand the adverse reaction to sampling, but without Hip hop most kids born a generation later than our own would not have been exposed to as much funk, soul, and R&B.

Yeah, if the master tapes for "2 Princes" fell eternally down a black hole, never to be destroyed, but never to be heard again, I would "Clink" a beer with you.

I could live without all the cute girl with piano covers they do of popular songs. For instance, there are piano covers of Nothing else matters and Use somebody, which already are ballads. But apparently some moron at a record company found that to be not polished enough yet.

Oh and I could do without all the casting shows on tv like Idols where songs I like are frequently raped by - again - cute girls with pianos.

/rant

edit: to clarify, i am talking about the girls who look cute but whose voices are 12 in a dozen and so forgettable

Last edited:
"Brick House" will haunt me until I die, "Brown Eyed Girl" isn't a favorite, I can find a way to live with just about everything else. (mostly I jut replace the lyrics with my own insulting version)

Anything with Autotune...

Anything that Simon Cowell had anything to do with...

Scissor Sisters (That Comfortably Numb cover was criminal!)

Gawd... There's a lot now I come to think of it!

THAT "LOVELY WEATHER FOR A SLEIGH RIDE TOGETHER WITH YOU" CHRISTMAS SONG.....AAAHHHHH!!!!! IN FACT ALL CHRISTMAS MUSIC BEFORE DECEMBER 23RD OR SO!!!! JUST SHOOT ME!!!! ......everyday is Christmas is my heart though.....amen.

Anything by the Smith's, anything with auto tune, present day hip-hop, disco, death metal/black metal.

If you play any of these on't be offended...personal preference and all...

As Shawn already said, my list is sooo long. But here are a few I want to forget:

Everything by Madonna.

Any 'song' where the lead 'singer' says the word 'Yeah' or 'Uh huh' or 'Word' seventeen times leading into the track. (I'm not a fan of rap or any variation thereof.)

Anything with Autotune.

Anything by anyone who came from a present day television 'competition' program, whether they were winners or just contestants.

Any song where it sounds as if the vocalist is trying to swallow the mic and/or came down with botulism shortly before the session.

Practically everything by Bruce Springsteen.

Last but not least, there's this: I don't know what it's called, but these days there seems to be an endless supply of vocalists (usually young and of either sex) who sound like they have head colds. Either that, or they're recording in their bedrooms and they're afraid to speak up because they might wake Granny in the next room. You hear it on store PAs, on radio, and on tons of tv commercials. In my mind I have this picture of them sitting there in their pajamas with their cat beside them and their trusty Casio keyboard, maybe a ukelele somebody gave them for graduation. They're plunking and strumming and singing(???) about how the clouds are white and the sky is blue and it's a new day and they're going for a ride in the country and they're putting their arm out the car window... They make it difficult for a guy to enjoy an ad for fiber supplements or credit cards!

As always, no offense intended in any way. (Except to Madonna; she can eat a bug for all I care.)

Goldtop

A lot of stuff you may believe hasn't gotten autotunted has in fact been autotuned. In fact, I'll bet most of the posters would only recognize a grossly tuned track, as the software is capable of being used subtly to correct a note here and there that you wouldn't hear if you weren't told.

I never record with autotune, but that's just ad work, no one would give a darn whether I did nor not. There's irony for ya. I figure if someone I bring in to sing can't, you know, actually sing, I bring in someone else.

Other than my own personal autotune rant, I have to go on record as saying that there isn't a style of music I inherently dislike, except badly done music.

I'm fine with hip hop, fine with metal, fine with classic rock, fine with all the genres of country, love classical, love jazz. Down with a lot of the stuff others are complaining about. I'm not a Christian, but I'm even ok with Christmas music.

I guess I need a different filter. LOL!

Last edited:
Speaking of Autotune, I may be wrong, but I think the one who brought it a lot of attention 'these days' which in turn led to it being done to death was Cher on "Believe". If I'm not mistaken it was used a number of times before that, but only sparingly to accent something here and there.

Isn't that right? Someone here is bound to have better info about it than I do.

Either way, I still dig her. I'm not ashamed to admit I have some of her albums and CDs. In fact, I have a framed picture of her on my living room wall right now.

Goldtop

Pretty sure the Cher tune used a Vocoder effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder

Wasn't too keen on that song but there's no doubt Cher can sing... Autotune can sound like a vocoder if it's correcting badly out of tune stuff.. may have improved since but it was best used to correct slightly out of tune notes. There's just a ton of dance music using it like Cher... Can't help but wonder if it's not to cover up poor vocals and pretend it's done deliberately. Goes right through me anyhoo!

Speaking of Autotune, I may be wrong, but I think the one who brought it a lot of attention 'these days' which in turn led to it being done to death was Cher on "Believe". If I'm not mistaken it was used a number of times before that, but only sparingly to accent something here and there.

Isn't that right? Someone here is bound to have better info about it than I do.

Either way, I still dig her. I'm not ashamed to admit I have some of her albums and CDs. In fact, I have a framed picture of her on my living room wall right now.

Goldtop

I will agree with al of the above with the exclusion of Lil Kim, cause.. I mean,... come on!
I'll relent on "All About The Benjamins" but that's it. :D

i always assumed you were a brother of the funk,
Indeed I am!

and I understand the adverse reaction to sampling,
My opinion isn't rooted in their use of sampling at all. It's about the complete lack of creativity in the creation of their music and the idiotic lyrical content (most of the time - not always).

but without Hip hop most kids born a generation later than our own would not have been exposed to as much funk, soul, and R&B.
Hip Hop won't save anything. You can't fake the funk.

Yeah, if the master tapes for "2 Princes" fell eternally down a black hole, never to be destroyed, but never to be heard again, I would "Clink" a beer with you.
Clink a beer with me anyway. :cool:

Almost anything played on Sirius radio Coffee House. My wife has that in her car, and I nearly gag listening to David Gray, Jack Johnson, Natalie Merchant, etc., etc.

Back