Dallas vs HXDA

Their website says they have 'em, but you're right, they're sufficiently disorganized that that's not definitive.

I bought a PRS guitar and my Archon from Chuck Levin's, so that is a good idea to check in with them from time to time. But that is a difficult trek for me and finding a parking space for my F-150 there is like winning the lottery.

I bought a PRS guitar and my Archon from Chuck Levin's, so that is a good idea to check in with them from time to time. But that is a difficult trek for me and finding a parking space for my F-150 there is like winning the lottery.
I do like the store, but it always seemed to me the parking was layed out for about 1/3 of the actual store size.

I do like the store, but it always seemed to me the parking was layed out for about 1/3 of the actual store size.

There's a parking lot?

You guys don't have jet packs yet?

Well, I did but I totaled it trying to cross DC from Arlington to get to Chuck Levin's and slammed it into the Washington Monument. Couldn't quite clear that 55 story obstacle.

Can't afford my own, and Uber is just weird that way.

No, seriously, I prefer methods of transportation with a smaller carbon footprint. And not getting shot down.
Can I interest you in a nice Star Trek Transporter?
No, too worried about inadvertant doubling due to a magnetic cloud layer. I will take another time travel device, though.

Last edited:
Uh oh. What the hell did I do? I made a phone call to my sales guy and by the end of the day I expect to have a tracking number. Might even have pictures as early as Saturday but we'll see.

Uh oh. What the hell did I do? I made a phone call to my sales guy and by the end of the day I expect to have a tracking number. Might even have pictures as early as Saturday but we'll see.

Yeah baby! Early welcome to Club HXDA!

We'd be very interested in knowing exactly what make and model of tubes, with positions, this one is equipped with right out of the box. And what the chart says, if it's different. (And if a operators/owners manual is included too(doubtful).

Thanks.~!

We'd be very interested in knowing exactly what make and model of tubes, with positions, this one is equipped with right out of the box. And what the chart says, if it's different. (And if a operators/owners manual is included too(doubtful).

Thanks.~!

No owner's manual as of a little over a year ago. My tube compliment was 3x JJ ECC83 S preamp tubes, and 2x Winged C EL34s.

I did install an NOS Mullard 12AX7 in V1, bought another for V2, and have a couple of sets of NOS Siemens EL34 waiting in the wings. But the Winged Cs still sound good, and haven't installed the V2 yet. I did replace the original JJs with a pair tested for low noise as the JJs originally installed eventually developed a little bit of noise. I've found that JJ preamp tubes sound good at first, but tend to develop issues over time. However, they're easily replaced.

It'll be interesting to see what current production is using, especially since the Winged Cs aren't widely available any more.

When I first got my Archon I installed Mullard EL34's in it but this one incoming (HXDA) I don't think I'll be messing with for the foreseeable future.

When I first got my Archon I installed Mullard EL34's in it but this one incoming (HXDA) I don't think I'll be messing with for the foreseeable future.

If you've got a Digital Multi-meter I'd be interested to know what the Bias Settings are right out of the box. (along with the tube complement). Thanks.

If you've got a Digital Multi-meter I'd be interested to know what the Bias Settings are right out of the box. (along with the tube complement). Thanks.

So, the HXDA that I'm getting is a 50 head which is being sold new by Sweetwater as a "demo" model. I assume it is the one they used to make the demonstration videos and let all the sales people take on a test drive. There was a big discount associated with it being a demo model. The technicians at Sweetwater would have given it a once over before boxing it back up and making it available for sale. During that inspection or any of its history there at Sweetwater HQ, I don't think there is any way to tell if the bias was adjusted or not. I can check to see what it is set at when I get it but I can not guarantee that what I get is what they set at PRS before shipping it out.

BTW, if we still have Les on the line, do you know what the bias specs are supposed to be for this head as described above?

BTW, if we still have Les on the line, do you know what the bias specs are supposed to be for this head as described above?
I was told 30 plus or minus 5. But I can't remember who told me. Anyway, that's my rule of thumb.

Definitely a unique and interesting amp. It will take me a while to grow accustomed to how this amp behaves.
It didn't have to look good, but DAMN, it really does look good! It even smells good. hahaha
With this NEW AMP DAY, that's it. I'm done buying amps for the foreseeable future. I own every amp on the market worth having. hahaha
HXDA_0277.jpg

Looking through the grille in the back, the tubes looked like they were slanted to the side a little bit instead of straight up and down. Both EL34's had the exact same slant to them so I'm guessing that the amp in transit got dropped on its side once pretty good. But all is well, I gently straightened them up, making sure they are seated properly and the amp works fine.

The BIAS info is clearly posted on the outside of he case! That's a great idea! Why doesn't everyone do that? I didnt' check to see what it was set to because I just wanted to plug it in and see how it sounded.
HXDA_0275.jpg

Looks like there are more transformers than tubes.
HXDA_0274.jpg

HXDAwPRS-3amps.jpg

A welcome addition to my collection of PRS amplifiers.

Back