Dallas vs HXDA

In a way it makes sense that the HXDA costs twice as much as... let's say an Archon. The HXDA is literally two different amplifier clones in the same box. There is a full and complete clone of the "Live at the Fillmore" amp, and there is also a a full and complete clone of a particular amp which was built to Jimi Hendrix's well known amp specs. Thus, you can dial in one, the other or both amps at your leisure. So, in a way, when you buy an HXDA, you are actually buying two amps and thus, it costs twice as much. Especially considering that even the transformers are hand built to custom specs. I'm not complaining about the price, but rather stating the obvious that it's twice as difficult to come up with the asking price.
It's really eight, but yeah, you're on the right (rationalization) track. One, the other, or 6 in-between amps.

So, what was decided? Both or not? They are two totally different amps, IMO. Besides cost, there's room for both in my mind.

Dammit! Is there anyone near the Washington DC area who has an HXDA so that I can stop by for a visit and hear one of these amps in person instead of just trying to make a decision through a bunch of Internet videos and Les' personal assurances and testimonies? (No offense Les.)

Dammit! Is there anyone near the Washington DC area who has an HXDA so that I can stop by for a visit and hear one of these amps in person instead of just trying to make a decision through a bunch of Internet videos and Les' personal assurances and testimonies? (No offense Les.)
Not yet, but if I get one before you do, I'll definitely let you try mine (I'm not in any rush, though, so don't hold your breath).

so that I can stop by for a visit and hear one of these amps in person instead of just trying to make a decision through a bunch of Internet videos and Les' personal assurances and testimonies? (No offense Les.)

Never buy anything on my personal assurances and testimonies. Seriously!

My taste may be different from yours.

You're not too far from the factory

That's not a bad idea. They do have a gift shop, and I was under the impression that they had some items there to try, maybe even buy. Maybe they've got an HXDA I can try. I'll call first though before I make the trek out there.

I'm pretty sure that there are no direct sales of guitars or amps -dealers only for those things.

The factory store is other stuff like tshirts, pickups, etc.

Problem solved. No. I'm not buying an HXDA unless I can try one in a loud room somewhere. Maybe on my next drive across the country I will find a stocking dealer.

Chuck Levin's has them.

I stopped in at Chuck Levins in June when is was in Gaithersburg on business. The primary purpose of the visit was to play and perhaps purchase an HXDA. None in stock at that time. Wallet happy, me sad. When I commented that I was leaving town in four hours, they said I they could get one from the factory in less than 3 hours.

Back