Custom PRS toggle switch

secret agent

Hi.

So, if I get a custom made PRS can I choose the option to have a 3 way toggle switch like in the music man majesty? I like that the switch itself is actually sucked within the guitar body itself and made of metal. It's a super unique switch design, and I would love to have it on a custom PRS. I would post a link to the majesty so anyone not familiar could see, but forum rules say a new account can't do that quite yet.

While I'm at it, can I get a custom PRS with a truss rod adjustment wheel on it too?

Just how much can you customize on a custom PRS? I would put pick up covers on the humbuckers, but take away the mounting rings. Also I would put a 1000 series floyd rose in there, and give the routed out part of the guitar just a little bit of a Lions claw like steve vai has on his Jem. A lot like the subtle lions claw on the music man JP16.

I have a really detailed picture of what I want in my dream guitar, like most guitarists do, I guess. lol

Contact a Private Stock dealer and offer up your idea for a quote. A lot of those ideas are VERY unique for a PRS, so that's probably the best place to start....

But it is something that is doable right? Like, they're not going to tell me to go to hell for asking for a PRS with a unique switch or no mounting rings, right? Even if it costs $3000

I wouldn't count on the switch or the truss rod wheel. The Majesty switch appears to be proprietary (maybe they could recess a regular switch?) and a heel adjust truss rod would mean a total neck redesign for PRS.

A Floyd and body mount pickups are definitely doable.

But Mark is right, the only way to know for sure is to discuss a potential build with a dealer.

Aight. That's a lot of cash. Yeah, i was thinking maybe a regular gibson style toggle switch that is recessed into the body and has a metal tip instead of the plastic. I'll talk to a dealer someday. I still have to actually get good at the guitar before I can justify this build. Bit of a humble brag, but I'm just finishing up learning eruption, then going to learn comfortably numb, surfing with the alien, tender surrender, and cliffs of dover. Then I have to get a firm grasp on the modes. Plenty of learning to go.

Well, you know, as long as you're setting the bar low... :rolleyes:

And Sergio's price isn't for just your options. But like garrett said, the truss rod wheel is likely a non-starter.

There are some things you can't get done, but you kind of have to push to get into that territory. If the metal toggles are available (and I'm pretty sure I've seen them outside the EBMM line, just not recessed), I'd think you have a shot to get that.

Yeah, a custom PRS is no joke. I just submitted to get my quote and I am expecting upwards of what Sergio said....

Nothing like when I used to order CS Jacksons in the AKAI-era. I'd wait forever, but get a BEAST built to my specs for about the cost of an Artist Package PRS....

I'll happily spend the money when I get the skills

On the subject of guitar skills, what would be considered setting the bar high? I also got the tab book for John petruccis solo album, but you need 24 frets for those songs. I'm going to get a Jem JR probably for this reason, but I still don't know if that is setting the bar all that high. I know that some of the stuff from Dream theaters train of thought is pretty redonkulous, but you need a 7 string for a lot of that stuff. How do I get good like Ingwe? I'm already giving up my social life for guitar lol

Maybe Fates Warning's newest tab book? A PRS is played on that album!

On the subject of guitar skills, what would be considered setting the bar high? I also got the tab book for John petruccis solo album, but you need 24 frets for those songs. I'm going to get a Jem JR probably for this reason, but I still don't know if that is setting the bar all that high. I know that some of the stuff from Dream theaters train of thought is pretty redonkulous, but you need a 7 string for a lot of that stuff. How do I get good like Ingwe? I'm already giving up my social life for guitar lol

Actually, I was kidding (thus the :rolleyes:). The stuff you listed isn't exactly in the piece of cake category.

I have the John Petrucci instructional video - it's intimidating stuff.

No. I knew you were kidding more or less... it's just I've heard a lot of people say Eruption isn't all that hard compared to other stuff out there. I'm thinking wait does it get HARDER than petrucci, too! Haha

that's a pretty great one note solo too btw, in that neil young song. I saw him last year at Desert Trip

See, if someone can build that guitar, then someone has to be able to put a switch in a PRS that mimics the MM Majesty. I don't even care about the truss wheel anymore. Gotta have that sexy tree of life inlay though

"How do I get good?"
"Practice?"
"What else?"
"Lessons."

I continue to go to my teacher even though he's given me a way to self direct, just so I don't plateau early.

Back