Custom 50 Clean channel PEDALS???

Jackality

Hey all,

Looking for some advice from those with a Custom 50 combo. Does the clean channel take pedals well. I was also hoping to know if you can get great strat breakup sounds from the clean channel.

I am looking at a Custom 50 combo or a Victory V40 Deluxe, just want to get the best sounding clean tone possible. Both are the same $$$$
There is not a great deal of clips on youtube for the Custom 50?

Thanks

Extremely well. Better than anything else I've ever used. Clean channel + OCD is glorious. Barber Gain Changer, grail tones. Two different examples that both sound SO good through the clean channel of the C50 that they sound better than even other good amps OD channels. I've tried others (Barber Direct Drive, Xotic SL, etc.) and they all sound better though this than any other clean channel I've played them through.

The clean channel will break up with humbucker guitars, way less with singles. My new strat type guitar sounds fantastic through the C50. I don't know how much breakup you want, but pushing the clean channel with a Timmy/Xotic EP/SLO clone, etc works extremely well.

I was playing last night. NF3>Timmy>Barber Gain Changer>OCD>Custom 50. I was thinking that I could create 4-5 different gain tones with any of those pedal combinations, that if I recorded them well would fool ANYONE into thinking I had 4-5 GREAT boutique amp OD tones. I've told people before, even if you don't love the OD channel of the C50, (and I DO!) the cleans are so good you can pick your pedal and have any killer tone you want, and NOBODY would know it's not a tube OD channel. And even if you do love the OD channel, the clean with pedals can give you any different flavor that you also wanted.

Yeah, it takes pedals well. IMHO/YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Extremely well. Better than anything else I've ever used. Clean channel + OCD is glorious. Barber Gain Changer, grail tones. Two different examples that both sound SO good through the clean channel of the C50 that they sound better than even other good amps OD channels. I've tried others (Barber Direct Drive, Xotic SL, etc.) and they all sound better though this than any other clean channel I've played them through.

The clean channel will break up with humbucker guitars, way less with singles. My new strat type guitar sounds fantastic through the C50. I don't know how much breakup you want, but pushing the clean channel with a Timmy/Xotic EP/SLO clone, etc works extremely well.

I was playing last night. NF3>Timmy>Barber Gain Changer>OCD>Custom 50. I was thinking that I could create 4-5 different gain tones with any of those pedal combinations, that if I recorded them well would fool ANYONE into thinking I had 4-5 GREAT boutique amp OD tones. I've told people before, even if you don't love the OD channel of the C50, (and I DO!) the cleans are so good you can pick your pedal and have any killer tone you want, and NOBODY would know it's not a tube OD channel. And even if you do love the OD channel, the clean with pedals can give you any different flavor that you also wanted.

Thanks, that's great info. Can't wait to order one.

Let me know when you get it. Love to hear what you think of it.

Not to derail this thread, but the topic sparks a question I have always wondered about:

What amps with a good clean channel don't take pedals well? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that unless the pedal is doing something really weird to the overall signal, you should be able to put pedals in front of any amp with a good clean channel. My only occasional challenges are finding pedals that work well in front of the lead/dirty channel of an amp.

Not to derail this thread, but the topic sparks a question I have always wondered about:

What amps with a good clean channel don't take pedals well? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that unless the pedal is doing something really weird to the overall signal, you should be able to put pedals in front of any amp with a good clean channel. My only occasional challenges are finding pedals that work well in front of the lead/dirty channel of an amp.

I think any amp with a "good" clean channel will take the right pedals well. I've always found that a drive pedal will accentuate the personality of a clean amp. For example, I have a Custom 50, and a Fender Vibrolux. Played strictly clean, they sound different, but not vastly so. But put the same OD pedal in front of both, and they sound very different. So you have to find pedals that you like the pairing with the amp.

Speaking specifically of the Custom 50, I do think it's great with pedals, especially brighter pedals because the clean channel is a bit on the darker side compared to something like a Fender Deluxe, etc. And again, it doesn't sound dark on its own, but some pedals that would sound great with a Deluxe (or my Vibrolux) sound very dark and muddy with the Custom. Although the bright switch can bring it right into that brighter zone if you wish.

Pedals that I've found to be a great match with the Custom 50: Wampler Dracarys (incredible and not just for metal), Sovereign and Velvet Fuzz, Bogner Wessex. And I'm sure there are many more!

Seems to me it's always a question of matching amp, pedals, player intentions, and the ability of the player to understand how to dial things in.

If all one wants to do is hear what a pedal sounds like, a high headroom solid state amp and a hi fi speaker will do. Whether that's good or bad guitar tone, however, is an open question.

The pedal and amp usually sound best when the tone isn't merely an amplified pedal; things sound best when the amp and pedal tones merge into one glorious baked confection.

If the goal is to get a blend of a good guitar amp tone and a good pedal tone, especially in the case of dirt pedals, an interaction between amp dials and pedal dials is important, and IMHO players shouldn't be too lazy to make a few adjustments and simply plug in a pedal, and conclude, "this amp is/isn't a good pedal platform."

Over the past 30 or so years of studio work, whether it's my own gear, or that of my session players, I can't count the times a few simple adjustments of the knobs on both amp and pedal have solved the perceived problem, and everyone says, "wow, that sounds better."

The myth is that squeaky clean amps are good pedal platforms, and amps like Marshall or Tweed style amps with earlier breakup are less so, when in fact both can be dialed in to sound fantastic with pedals, and the clean amps sound better with overdrives when close to breaking up anyway - easy to achieve in this day of effective and good sounding master volume controls.

Any great sounding amp - PRS certainly makes my favorites - can be a terrific pedal platform; choose pedals that compliment its tone, work the knobs on pedal and amp, and you're in business.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
The myth is that squeaky clean amps are good pedal platforms, and amps like Marshall or Tweed style amps with earlier breakup are less so, .

A very common misconception for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very common misconception for some reason.

Because it's easy to put a pedal in front of a clean amp, and not have any interaction; there are pedals that are fine that way, though IMHO something important is missing, namely, the very interaction between amp and pedal that can be so cool.

I suppose other folks see it differently, but overdrive pedals are named that because the idea was to overdrive the amp, not replace its inherent tone.

Evidently, everyone's mileage varies! ;)

Let me know when you get it. Love to hear what you think of it.
Hi,
I finally purchased my C50 head and 2x12 cab. The most amazing clean channel. I have not have had a chance to play much yet but I found the dirty channel to be a little fizzy. I have only played for about an hour I will have to eq a bit more yet. I noticed on another topic you stated that you had similar thoughts until you played the new speakers in. Did time and playing make a big difference.
Cheers.

Congrats on the amp! I wouldn't say fizzy. The Custom is more smooth gain. My PRS cab/speakers are broken in now and that always smooths out the top. I think I'd say a pretty big difference because that initial "crispyness" doesn't appeal to me. Now they sound great. In fact, if I want to make in crunchy, I have to hit it with the OCD or a "distortion" pedal. An OD pedal adds gain but won't make it crunch because it is the smoother gain. I'd say more even order harmonics/warm bias type stuff. I can even turn the treble way up, and it gets brigher, but not crunch like an M type amp.

I'd say pound that cab whenever you can get away with it. It will loosen up and break in and be much better. I've always wondered.... if I worked at a music store, I'd demo all my new amps with used cabs. Seriously! I wonder how many good or really good amps I've passed on over the years because a new speaker made it sound harder and less appealing than it should have.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Again, congrats! Great amp!

Speaker break in definitely helps. I also replaced my V2, which was a Tung Sol if memory serves, to a JJ 12ax7. Now, my amp was used, so I can't vouch for the condition of that Tung Sol, but I will say that the gain channel EQ responded MUCH better to adjustments after the swap. I suspect it was dying and the difference would be less between two good tubes, but might be worth toying with if you've got extras lying around.

The gain channel on the Custom amps just doesn't compress like many high gain amps. Which honestly, to me, is fine, it's a lot easier to find a super saturated drive pedal for the front of the amp, than it is to find a drive pedal with the more open and tonally revealing character of the Custom. There's a gentle balance between amp gain and boosting the front end, and I think each player just needs to play around a bit with pedals to see what works best to put more juice into the lead channel, whether it be a clean boost, or something with some drive as well.

Anyways, drive those speakers, piss off those neighbors!

Beyond the speakers, a lot depends on how the gain and master volume controls are set on various PRS amps.

The wider you can open up the master volume (and turn down the gain control if necessary), the better. Obviously, there is a point where things balance out between the two, but any time only the preamp tubes are cooking while the output tubes are idling, most amps are not going to be at their most toneful.

The output tubes really need to be involved.

To answer the OPs question Yes the CU50 takes pedals well.
That being said I build the pedals I use ( see my sig ) and IMHO sound great on any amp , Pedals can be used in so many ways , to drive an amp, to shape tone, etc
as with most things you get what you pay for, finding the right mix of pedals for your sounds is a great fun

PRS specifically tries to make their amps work for pedal guys/gals and non-pedalites. Some are better than others, but every PRS amp I've played (Recording, H, C, 25th Anniversary, HXDA, Sewell, Dallas, Super Dallas, Sweet 16, Archon) had input buffers that liked pedals. Chasing the right pedals for your taste and your amp is an arduous...and magnificent...trek. :D

This is a good time to mention the one pedal that everyone needs at least one version of: Barber Gain Changer. Trust me.

Just had a good run with my Custom 50 clean channel plus pedals last night. (Finally took a night off from the ARCHON! LOL)

I figured it was a good time to explore the tonal possibilities some more with a real S style guitar. I plugged my EBMM Cutlass in and started dailing. I'm happy to say that ALL of the pedals I had plugged in last night sounded great. I went through... Fulltone OCD (1.7) and Fulldrive 3, Barber Compact Direct Drive, Gain Changer GCX and regular version and Compact Tone Press and my Timmy. Dialed up all kinds of different gain from light/open/crunchy to light/fat/smooth to really crunchy to fat singing sustain and all sounded great!

Next up... Some fuzz tones!

Back