Custom 50 and cab

TwitchyCity

Hi everybody!

New to this forum but happely just orderd a custom 50 head, the first one i´ve seened on the used market here in Sweden. I just want to get you´r helpful advice about speakers and cab choice.

I will be buying a 2x12 cabinet, and offcourse i would want a matching PRS cab but it looks hard to get in hold of over here. Do you have any tips in my hunting for a good cab?
Im leaning towards G12-65H elements and going all John Mayer with a closed back ;)

Honestly I have a sourspot for warm guitarsound with rounden highs so too my knowlage it should be a good fit with the sound I like. Have any one tried the Custom 50 with G12-65H?
Offcourse I do know that the JM signature cab will be out in a couple of months but thats a while waiting and to be honnest maybe a bit much for the wallet.

Oh, not to forget. I mostly play pop, country, blues and rock. Not to heavt stuff. Don´t play any drop tuning metal tones.
Guitars: Stratocaster, Telecaster and a Les paul.
Please help me find a good buddy for my head.

Welcome! You're going to love the Custom 50, great amp for your style!

I play mine through a 2x12 with V30's, which is the stock spec and a nice match. Tight lows, well placed highs, and of course the very prominent midrange. I would say a very good all-around speaker for that amp. I was playing through a pair of speakers more like G12H30's, and they sounded decent, but heavy on bass especially the louder the amp was, and not especially punchy. Even with the V30's in, I rarely turn my bass up above half. Would also like to try the Lead 80's, which are spec in the combo version.

My advice, look for something that has a tight low end like the V30 does, and then narrow down your options from there depending on what other characteristics you want. I'm not familiar enough with the low end on the G12-65's to say how they would do.

If the PRS cabs are hard to find, maybe you can get lucky and find a Mesa 2x12. I LOVE my Custom 50 with my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab even more than my PRS 2x12 cab. The Mesa V30s are better than the ones anyone else uses.

It also sounds great with two 1x12 Avatars, one with Governor (Emi's version of V30 which also has less of the upper mids spike, like the Mesa V30 does) and 1 with Private Jack (their version of the greenback which I also like better than a stock Celestion Greenback). I bet a Warehouse ET65 would be great with it, and I KNOW several of the Scumbacks would as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that most PRS amps have been voiced with V30 cabinets. Virtually all 12" PRS cabs all have V30 speakers. A similarly constructed and designed cabinet with V30s should yield good results...like Orange or Bogner. There are lots out there but these are the ones I've played.

Thank you so much for the answers!

I guess i could safely get a cab with v30s in it. And if i dont find it perfect try a pair of G12-65 later on.

Whats your opinions about open or closed back?

Well the mesa 2x12 are around. I havent looked at them to much because I've only seen them in metal band. You think its a good allrounder?

Whats your opinions about open or closed back?
It's very subjective, but I like PRS' closed back cabs a lot. I have both a 1x12 and 2x12 and love them for multi-genre flexibility.

Well the mesa 2x12 are around. I havent looked at them to much because I've only seen them in metal band. You think its a good allrounder?

Maybe a few others will comment because I know several people use them in non-metal applications. I specifically did not buy the Rectifier 2x12 because I didn't want that sound. I already have a pair of old Boogie vertical 2x12 cabs that I've played for decades and like with my PRS amp. I would audition lots of cabs with speaker combinations because that's where you can own several and justify having the tonal options.

Back