Custom 24 vs P24

scrumpyc812

Please forgive me as I am new to the PRS world (sort of; been stalking for a while but recently ordered a 408).

I've been eyeballing both the custom 24 and the P24 (I really would like that PE pickup). I assumed that the treble and bass pickups were the same with a PE pickup thrown in, but is turns out they are not. The custom 24 has the 59/09 pickups in both positions, and the P24 has 57/08 pickups in both positions. What's the difference in tone between those two? I admittedly haven't put a lot of effort into finding out and thought I could get some help here in the forums. Thanks!

Get the P24............you can swap pickups if you don't like'em, but you can't add the PRS piezo to a Custom ( at least at the PTC so far I hear). Also, I like both pickups. You can't go wrong with a P24, but you could do better with a Private Stock P24/408 semi-hollow!!!! That's a dream gtr!

Hey scrumpy, slightly off the topic, but, have you ever played a PRS with soapbar P90 pickups? They can look hidious, but WOW, they sound awesome! Imo they are too often overlooked, but may actually be the best sounding pickups PRS ever offered. I don't think there is a style of music they can't cover in the hands of a good musician. It sounds to me like you really want the piezo, and PRS is the best, so I would definately go for that for sure. I wouldn't let a choice between 59/09s or 57/08s, or 53/10s be a deal breaker for a P24. I strongly recommend playing several Customs with their various PUs before you purchase, but also, give yourself a treat and try the PRS soapys. From what you described, I have a hunch they hold the " Holy Grail " tone you seek...................so ok, sell your other gtrs and get a Private Stock P24 semi-hollow trem w/P90 soapbar PUs!!!!! I also think G.A.S.( Guitar Aquisition Syndrome ) has driven me utterly mad!!! LOL.

Back