Custom 24 stock switching

caldera

Hello,

I acquired a Custom 24 used, and the wiring was a bit of a mess. I've gone through it now and got it all up to spec, but I don't actually know what the stock switching for a Custom 24 is.

Mine has 85/15 pickups, and both of the pickups have the usual black & shielded wire, and one additional white wire for the coil tap.

The way I have the switch set up now is:

1 - Bridge pickup
2 - Bridge + Neck tap
3 - Both pickups full
4 - Neck + Bridge tap
5 - Neck pickup

Is this the stock configuration? If not, what is?

Thanks!

That should be the stock wiring. I have two Custom 22's with the 5-way blade, and from memory I am 99.9% sure that's how they are wired.

I thought that the 2 and 4 were inner pair and outer pair, both coils split?

Hello,

I acquired a Custom 24 used, and the wiring was a bit of a mess. I've gone through it now and got it all up to spec, but I don't actually know what the stock switching for a Custom 24 is.

Mine has 85/15 pickups, and both of the pickups have the usual black & shielded wire, and one additional white wire for the coil tap.

The way I have the switch set up now is:

1 - Bridge pickup
2 - Bridge + Neck tap
3 - Both pickups full
4 - Neck + Bridge tap
5 - Neck pickup

Is this the stock configuration? If not, what is?

Thanks!

I am assuming your guitar has a blade switch. If so, the only difference is the standard 5-way blade wiring has both pickups split in position 4.

The pickups you have are not the original ones for that guitar, though. They were probably yanked from one of the newer CEs. The blade switch guitars get pickups with white, black, red, and bare wires. They are reverse polarity to each other. The toggle/push-pull guitars get pickups with black/shield and white wires. They are same polarity.

The stock blade wiring splits to inside coils. Yours may or may not be doing that, depending on where you are sending the splits. Split to ground = screw, hot = slug.

Ok, so I've got them all right except position four it looks like. Thanks for the help, everyone!

I am assuming your guitar has a blade switch. If so, the only difference is the standard 5-way blade wiring has both pickups split in position 4.

The pickups you have are not the original ones for that guitar, though. They were probably yanked from one of the newer CEs. The blade switch guitars get pickups with white, black, red, and bare wires. They are reverse polarity to each other. The toggle/push-pull guitars get pickups with black/shield and white wires. They are same polarity.

The stock blade wiring splits to inside coils. Yours may or may not be doing that, depending on where you are sending the splits. Split to ground = screw, hot = slug.

It could be that they are not original, but the card on the guitar says it came with 85/15s, and this is a 30th anniversary with the artist package, so maybe there is something different about it... (?)

One other question - is there a way to find a switch for a custom 24 that will fit? I had a superswitch already, but it was too wide to fit, only the slimmer PRS switch seems to fit. I was able to reuse my switch but I’d like to have a spare on hand.

One other question - is there a way to find a switch for a custom 24 that will fit? I had a superswitch already, but it was too wide to fit, only the slimmer PRS switch seems to fit. I was able to reuse my switch but I’d like to have a spare on hand.

Schaller Megaswitch M

The narrow Super Switch may work (might even be same as what the PRS switch is based on) http://www.toneshapers.com/switch-5-way-oak-grigsby-4-pole-superswitch-narrow.html#.XGjkiblOmyU

You can also get the PRS switch aftermarket

Back