Custom 24-08

There are Wood Library & Private Stocks drifting around. Regular production models seem pretty sparse. I've had an Artist Package on order since March. I was told to expect delivery next March, but got a call recently that said it should be in this August :D

I've been drooling over CU24s for over a decade. I was finally in a position to order one when the production 24-08 was announced & the extra switching positions appealed to me. It'll be my first PRS, so we shall soon see!

Actually it seems like a fantastic idea since you can essentially turn your HH custom 24 into a HS or HSS kinda feel guitar.

I do have a few questions though, given that the neck pickup is reversed, will it sound different? Also, could you spec a private stock with the neck pickup the right way round but with the same switching circuitry? Like, what are the benefits of reversing that neck pickup? I'm assuming more volume, but I've never had a problem with my HH guitars that have a neck coil tap.

I've had one on order since last December. I was told to expect a November delivery. HOPING it's sooner. If someone who order theirs four months after I did gets theirs first I'm going to be extremely inconvenienced..........extremely.o_O

I've had one on order since last December. I was told to expect a November delivery. HOPING it's sooner. If someone who order theirs four months after I did gets theirs first I'm going to be extremely inconvenienced..........extremely.o_O

A core 24-08 takes the same time as a private stock?

It's normal to take this long. My order is expected to be 10-11 months. Due this September.

Per PRS' Facebook. Some limelight.
"Custom 24-08. Eight sounds in one guitar.
26a1.png
"
36999265_10156912229320639_3154520253321445376_n.jpg

Just my opinion of course, but I think this is the way the CU24 and CU22 should come as standard. Great tone possibilities.

I hope they sell enough of them to convince them to make them the standard.

Does anyone know if any dealer had/doing a 24-08 fatback (McCarty thickness) run?
I need a fatback 24-08 piezo!

Just my opinion of course, but I think this is the way the CU24 and CU22 should come as standard. Great tone possibilities.

I hope they sell enough of them to convince them to make them the standard.

It would be nice for the 24-08 to become the 'standard' for the Custom 24. I have the regular Custom 24 and that gives me 5 options with the blade but 2 and 4 are both pick-ups (like 3) but with some splitting of the coils - both have the neck split but one has the bridge split and one with the bridge in Humbucker. You can't, for example, use the neck or bridge on its own split which would be advantageous in some situations - I can with my McCarty 594 for example or my 509 too for that matter.

It adds options and whilst I love my Custom 24, I almost wish I add tried to find the 24-08 in the same colour with an equally nice top. I don't know that I would necessarily use 'all' the options regularly - especially the split bridge with full neck humbucker option but I would still like that option as its better to have and not need than to need and not have. The McCarty 594 offers this because its got individual tone and volume pots with push/pull's for each humbucker. That's possibly easier than wiring in those little toggle switches and offers more option than having a 'master' tone volume with a single push/pull that splits both simultaneously.

As I already have a Custom 24, I can't say that I can justify another at the moment - just for those extra options - doesn't stop me wanting one though and the Forum guitar could be a way to get one. Ideally I want to get a Hollowbody II with Piezo as that offers more that I don't yet have in my arsenal - a hollowbody guitar or piezo. I know you can get Piezo on a Solid body but there is something that doesn't seem right to me - a solid body with an Acoustic sound seems off in my eyes. I would like to see PRS do a HB3 with Piezo where the input jack is a singular stereo input - like the Music Man Majesty Monachy as it looks so much neater than having two input jacks...

Anyway, that's getting a bit off topic but may explain why I am less in need of a 24-08 at the moment - not that its stopping me wanting one. I can't think of any reason why the 24-08 shouldn't be the standard moving forward - I assume the sounds the current standard gives can be achieved on the 24-08 with the added advantage of playing the two humbuckers as split individually rather than as a 'pair' - that's assuming that the pick-ups are mounted the same way so you get the same 'split' and phase of course.

I'd be all for it becoming the standard, but with the Signature/Paul's control layout or the 509 layout.

I still need to make a trip to Righteous Guitars to try one out.

I'd be all for it becoming the standard, but with the Signature/Paul's control layout or the 509 layout.

I still need to make a trip to Righteous Guitars to try one out.

It's basically the same as the 509 but without the 5-way blade. The 5-way blade makes more sense on the 509 because of the additional middle pick-up where as a dual Humbucker only needs 3 to have ALL possible combinations. You only need 1 for bridge, one for neck and one for both pick-ups. With the individual switches allowing you to switch between a full Humbucker or Split, that gives 2 options for Bridge and Neck selections (positions 1 and 3) with 4 options for the position 2 - HH, HS, SH, SS - hence 08.

With the 509, you have a 5 way because of the middle pick up, B, B&M, M, N&M, N - the 09 comes from the 4 positions of the 5 way that can make the Bridge (B) or Neck (N) either a Single or Humbucker. The 509 though can't offer the B&N combo (not without modding) which would give the 4 options that position 2 offers in a twin Humbucker guitar. Its the addition of the single Middle (M) pick up that necessitates a 5 way.

Other than different positioning of the switches and Tone pot, that's really the only major difference - the volume pot looks like its very similar in placement. The 24-08 and 408 look to have very similar placement of the controls and wouldn't be surprised if its the same. The special looks more like the 509 but again that has a 'middle' pick up so it seems that the dual humbuckers have a certain placement but the ones with a 'middle' pickup (Special and 509) have a different placement.

Maybe its because the 509/Special are more 'set and forget' with the humbuckers - use these to configure your guitar for a song (like set it as a HSS or SSS before you play) where as the 408/24-08 seem better placed to switch 'mid-song', to go from H to S to H during and the tone is more 'set and forget'. Both seem to have the Volume in the same position - which makes sense.

I guess if you intend to use the switches more than the tone, then having them closer to your hand is easier - which seems to be the case for both the 408 and 24-08.

I want one. I have an incoming 408 though, for now, and I am not sure how I like 85/15's. There are some rippin' Cu24's on Reverb I really like too, but I would prefer the 408 switching system.

It's basically the same as the 509 but without the 5-way blade. The 5-way blade makes more sense on the 509 because of the additional middle pick-up where as a dual Humbucker only needs 3 to have ALL possible combinations. You only need 1 for bridge, one for neck and one for both pick-ups. With the individual switches allowing you to switch between a full Humbucker or Split, that gives 2 options for Bridge and Neck selections (positions 1 and 3) with 4 options for the position 2 - HH, HS, SH, SS - hence 08.

With the 509, you have a 5 way because of the middle pick up, B, B&M, M, N&M, N - the 09 comes from the 4 positions of the 5 way that can make the Bridge (B) or Neck (N) either a Single or Humbucker. The 509 though can't offer the B&N combo (not without modding) which would give the 4 options that position 2 offers in a twin Humbucker guitar. Its the addition of the single Middle (M) pick up that necessitates a 5 way.

Other than different positioning of the switches and Tone pot, that's really the only major difference - the volume pot looks like its very similar in placement. The 24-08 and 408 look to have very similar placement of the controls and wouldn't be surprised if its the same. The special looks more like the 509 but again that has a 'middle' pick up so it seems that the dual humbuckers have a certain placement but the ones with a 'middle' pickup (Special and 509) have a different placement.

Maybe its because the 509/Special are more 'set and forget' with the humbuckers - use these to configure your guitar for a song (like set it as a HSS or SSS before you play) where as the 408/24-08 seem better placed to switch 'mid-song', to go from H to S to H during and the tone is more 'set and forget'. Both seem to have the Volume in the same position - which makes sense.

I guess if you intend to use the switches more than the tone, then having them closer to your hand is easier - which seems to be the case for both the 408 and 24-08.

I was just referring to the layout. I find the blade switch too far away on the Custom and 408 design. Plus it's always competing for space with the trem arm.

The location of the blade on the 509 is much more ergonomic for me. If you sweep the whammy bar back, you have full access to all controls.

With the Signature layout, it's no problem to quickly reach back and smack the toggle around. You can position the trem arm in between the volume and tone, so it isn't too much in the way.

Back