Custom 22 or DGT for Clean Soul/Funk Tones?

colgan

Hi,
I'm new to delving into the world of PRS models. I've been looking at the Custom 22 and DGT for Clean Soul/Funk, Jazzy tones and these are within budget on the used market here in the UK, the Custom more frequently.

A lot of the players I like in the styles mentioned above use solid body PRS and get a nice full punchy clean tone. The clip here (link may not work as it's my 1st post) shows Randy Bowland on the left who nails the tone I am after:
Summertime - PRS Demo Room:

From review clips I like the neck clean tone of the Custom 22 a lot and this seems a good match. The DGT also sounds excellent.

In user's experiences here are the Custom 22 and DGT well suited to this style of music and is one more suited in particular?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Welcome Colgan.

Both guitars do clean very well. There are differences in how you might feel with the guitar. I like the big frets on the DGT, and the 2 volume controls.

Colgan, keep in mind that a humbucker at full volume will have more output, and therefore push the amp harder, causing it to break up a little, so using your guitar’s volume control is important in getting a good clean tone.

Frankly, any PRS can do well with it. There’s no magic formula.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

I think either could get you there. Personally, I like the neck profile and bigger frets on the DGT. Plus two volume controls.

it appears that guitar is the special narrow field neck pickup,that looks like where a lot of the tone is coming from that you are after. there's enough PRS guys there that we can probably tell you exactly what guitar that is.

it looks like it is some sort of version of the PRS 408,
because the bridge pickup also looks like a Widefield bridge.
but I can't see the mini toggle switches, it also has a fixed bridge no tremolo

do you want to tremolo? if you want that tone I think you might need that guitar.
it is awesome tone it reminds me of the 594 neck

perhaps you should consider a 408 which May nail the tone, more precisely.

@Ironwolf - Great, thanks for pointing that out. In my limited knowledge I couldn't figure out what model that was. More food for thought. They are much rarer used in the UK than CU22/DGT it seems.
Yes tremolo is very high on the wish list but will look into this model some more.
Thanks again.

Sorry this thread is going in different directions but the DGTs actually seem to go for a couple hundred pounds over budget recently.

The McCarty and SC245 models do come up around budget. Would these also provide a nice full clean tone like advised for the previous models mentioned?
It may be possible to find examples of these with the 57/08 pickups.

It may be possible to get a Custom 22 also but at the price I'm looking at that would likely come with Dragon II pickups and from what I've read the consensus seems to be the 57/08 are preferred.

Thanks

Sorry this thread is going in different directions but the DGTs actually seem to go for a couple hundred pounds over budget recently.

The McCarty and SC245 models do come up around budget. Would these also provide a nice full clean tone like advised for the previous models mentioned?

It may be possible to get a Custom 22 also but at the price I'm looking at that would likely come with Dragon II pickups and from what I've read the consensus seems to be the 57/08 are preferred.

Thanks

If you have the opportunity to snag something with 57/08 I think that would be preferable over the Dragon II.

Thanks

I mostly play clean soul, funk, reggae, disco, and r&b stuff... DII neck pickups are fantastic IMO, and the pair splits very nicely. I’m presently torn between the DII, 57/08’s, and McCarty bass for my favorite neck pickups for those sorts of music.

Is this a McCarty that Tyrone Jackson is playing? No logo on the headstock. Just checking it couldn't be a Cu22 with McCarty wiring. I expect with the tuners that it's McCarty.

iXAU5i

guitarist-producer-tyrone-jackson

https://pin.it/t3rn3bqfpou3c6
http://joshuajlutz.com/guitarist-producer-tyrone-jackson

Thanks

Last edited:
it looks like an early McCarty one piece aluminum stoptail 2012 ish maybe private stock.
because you can get those with a two-piece bridge as well.

Silver Sky! Just throwing it in there!

The “hit-maker” has some pretty funky tones!

Maybe worth considering?

PRS S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow with 57/08 S (which they don't offer yet AFAIK) or similar pickups. The neck is similar to the DGT with semi-hollowbody punch.

Back