Custom 22 close to DGT?

62caster

Hey there! I’ll try to make this short:

I absolutely love the DGT. Best guitar I’ve ever played. However, currently the best pricing I can find used is around $2,500. My budget is $1,500 and I’m wondering if a used Custom 22 would be close enough to fill the gap until I am able to collect the funds for a DGT. How similar are the neck shapes? Pickups?

I'm with Sergio. Hold out. Something will pop up. The Cu22 isn't even close to the DGT. I'd say the comparison stops at 22 frets. Cu22 can have any neck carve, the DGT has a DGT carve. The control layout is different (two volumes, one tone on the DGT). Jumbo-ish frets on the DGT

I have noticed the used dgt market has gone up in the last couple of years.

Used to see 1500.00 DGT's quite frequently but not so much these days.

Like they said, be ready to pounce as one at that price will go very quickly.

I feel like I need to sit down and play one... I haven’t been able to find one in my area. My plan was to buy this, then in a few years sell and upgrade to a DGT. You guys think a CU22 would scratch my itch for a bit?

Hold out. Cu22 is not a substitute good (body thickness, pickups, controls, neck carve, etc.)

Be strong and hold on. The DGT is a magnificent machine. Hold out.

McCarty is closer than a CU22, but the guys are right - hold out and get the DGT. It's definitely a guitar that exceeds its parts.

McCarty is closer than a CU22, but the guys are right - hold out and get the DGT. It's definitely a guitar that exceeds its parts.

I was wondering if maybe a McCarty was closer. Anxious to get my hands on something. As my username says, I’ve been playing a MIJ ‘62 reissue Tele for years and I’ve just grown bored of it. Plus the small frets and 7.25 radius have gotten old.

I should clarify - the DGT is really the only PRS I’ve played extensively (thanks to a friend lending me his a few times) - aside from an SE and maybe picking a couple up in a store a few times without plugging in. So that’s where I’m wondering if I love the DGT, or have just finally gotten a chance to play a really high quality PRS and would be happy with a McCarty or CU22.

In some ways a McCarty (Trem ) is closer to the DGT ( Thicker body carve ) but the vintage tuners are not my thing.
A CU22 is by no means a step down they are killer look for one with a Wide Fat or Patten Neck you will be more than happy IMHO
I have several CU22s and a new to me DGT an tho the DGT is fun I could be just as happy with my CU22

As far as getting a DGT for 1500 that would be really low, I think I got a killer deal on mine and it was more than that and it had NON DGT pickups and some finish issues on the neck I do see them from time to time in the 1800 - 2K range tho

I had a 62 reissue also kinda miss it something about a good tele

DSCF8306 by
37738755026_1e751cc0f8_o.jpg
IMG_3109 by
37529198450_f9c3e837ac_o.jpg
IMG_3106 by I was wondering if maybe a McCarty was closer. Anxious to get my hands on something. As my username says, I’ve been playing a MIJ ‘62 reissue Tele for years and I’ve just grown bored of it. Plus the small frets and 7.25 radius have gotten old.

I should clarify - the DGT is really the only PRS I’ve played extensively (thanks to a friend lending me his a few times) - aside from an SE and maybe picking a couple up in a store a few times without plugging in. So that’s where I’m wondering if I love the DGT, or have just finally gotten a chance to play a really high quality PRS and would be happy with a McCarty or CU22.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
If a DGT is it, keep squirreling money away for what you really want. I know delayed gratification sucks, but you'll be better off in the end.

To me, the real draw of the DGT is the unique combo of the trem and dual volumes. If you don't feel like the dual volumes is a must, a CU22 with wide fat or pattern neck and a trem will do quite nicely, but it will definitely have its own feel and sound.

So much truth and good advice here. Hold out. Nothing else is a DGT. At the same time, a CU22 is a fantastic guitar, too, just a different animal.

Thanks everybody.. so here’s where I’m at. A PRS is better than no PRS right? Maybe I find the best deal I can on a Custom 22 or McCarty, play it for a year or so, and sell/upgrade to a DGT at that point?

I dunno man. You may as well drop $250 on a used SE and just rock that a while. Then in a year, you can still get your DGT and have TWO PRS guitars.

I don't know your life situation, but if you cut back on smoking and drinking, or Starbucks and eating out, or pick up extra shifts/odd jobs for a while, you'll be surprised how much faster you can stash away enough for that DGT. Keep an eye out while you're saving. If you see a good deal, you'll be liquid and ready to go.

I thought that David Grissom was heavily involved in the first McCarty. They made a hard tail and a trem model. And David played the trem model for years. All the while changing the neck shape and pickups over time, until they built the DGT. Which is a McCarty Trem. With slightly different neck shape, much better pickups (the best PRS makes IMHO), and, a different control layout and tuners.

I'd go for a McCarty. I've seen them from $1200-1500 on Craigslist. They play real nice. Great guitar.

Alright!! I decided on a less expensive option - just picked up a 2015 S2 Standard 22 for $650. I think it was a good deal - very clean. Will update with pics when it gets here!

13642868_1073155042731557_1220630612_n.jpg

If I'm looking for DGT specs, a CU22 won't cut it. CU24 - modern guitar / modern tone, CU22 - modern guitar / more vintage tone, DGT - modern vintage guitar / vintage (modern) tone.

The DGT hits all the checks for my hopes and wants in a gutiar - jumbo frets, PAF-esque humbuckers, tremolo, thicker body than a 22 or 24.

It's close, but just not there - if that's what you're looking for.

13642868_1073155042731557_1220630612_n.jpg

If I'm looking for DGT specs, a CU22 won't cut it. CU24 - modern guitar / modern tone, CU22 - modern guitar / more vintage tone, DGT - modern vintage guitar / vintage (modern) tone.

The DGT hits all the checks for my hopes and wants in a gutiar - jumbo frets, PAF-esque humbuckers, tremolo, thicker body than a 22 or 24.

It's close, but just not there - if that's what you're looking for.

Looks just like my Tele... I'll get a DGT some day. I just couldn't pass up the S2 for $650. It should fill the PRS void for me for a bit until I can sock away some extra cash for the DGT.

It would be funny if the one you have it my old tele :) does it have a chip near the nut by any chance :)

Back