Culling The Herd

Hans - I also had the exact same revelation. I am on board with the culling, now if I could just find a buyer!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23568 said:
Does it matter that my purchase of a new Private Stock is the impetus behind it all?:dancing:

Ha! Now comes the truth!

Sorry, Dude. Nullifies the whole "having enough, family oriented" culling thing. Becomes more of a "selling off stuff to buy another PS thing." See MA Pete for details and further instructions. ;)

Ha! Now comes the truth!

Sorry, Dude. Nullifies the whole "having enough, family oriented" culling thing. Becomes more of a "selling off stuff to buy another PS thing." See MA Pete for details and further instructions. ;)
Why ya gotta make me cry in front of all my friends, Dad?

tumblr_mau6oq8yfS1qb7rub.gif

In my defense, I offer my 1st post, 4th paragraph, 5th and 6th sentence.

I am firmly in the collector camp. However, I did recently go from 13 to 7. Different priorities. Other interests.

Hans: I think we've heard this before from you ... we'll see ...

I've bought about 15 PRSi over the last seven years and usually had about four most of the time. I'm now down to two after I got my first PS and have been gassless since then. I suspect there will be other amp(s) and pedals in my future, and maybe even another guitar, but the turnover rate becomes much less once you really find (or have built) the guitar that is exactly what you want. Unfortunately it took me till 65 to get to this point, so most of you kids have a long way to go. I might add that arthritis and nerve issues can also assist you in the decision.

I think the economy has something to do with this trend to some degree as well as maturing and understanding our taste in guitars. To some degree PRS has also created a bit of the problem by producing the best models ever like the P22, 408, DGT, Quatro, etc.

... and Hans ... You are a long way from done ...

Hans, I've been having those same thoughts. I need to pass along the ones that don't get played and concentrate on my favorites. Nothing wrong with buying new ones but I gotta start letting some go.

Been There, Done That...way too many times.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23541 said:
Jamie and I were talking about this a lot at X:pRS:2012. It seems a lot of people reach a point in life where they just let go of a bulk of their collection.

I am getting ready to do just that. Yes... seriously. And the result has been a little more Soul searching than usual.

From where I stand, it's all about managing money, "having enough", really playing what I have - getting to know the guitar completely, and no longer feeling like I need certain guitars in my house to be a part of a community. I am not the sum of my possessions. And knowing a lot about guitars does not make me a better guitar player. I want something more; something that can't be taken from me.

I'm a player that started collecting when my career took off. I lost my way for a little bit but started playing again about a year ago. I want to be a better player. I will never lose the collector bug but I am no longer content to own guitars that don't get played. But here's a dose of honesty... if I had the money to keep them all (which I don't), I probably would. So I'm thankful for things that push me out of my comfort zone; things that force me to stand on my own merit; opportunities that allow me to be more responsible for the benefit of my family.

Have you ever felt this way? Have you ever actually done it?

Discuss.

Used to sell PRS guitars at music store in Carroll County, MD. Loved EVERY one that came through!!! (Is that a Problem???) (I am actually a bassist) So I would work trades, and deals on used and new PRS as they grabbed me (and wallet). Owned too many to count over the years , down to a reasonable number now...( reasonable ###??? ) Funny thing is, I have alot of respect for actual players that get everything from ONE guitar (think SRV with his no. 1 strat, John McLaughlin and "I only need one guitar", or the local guy that has a beat up black strat and PRS custom, and can play anything on them). I think we (most of us anyway) get to a point where we can enjoy the beauty of them as well as the playability and quality of tones (and affordability). BUT...$$$ always rears it's ugly head. I have traded 2-3 midrange dollar gtrs for PRS in the past, and thinking of trading 2-3 PRS now for a PS. I would have to say it is a serious addiction...BUT, it could be worse!!! Just maintain control!!! LOL

little known fact: if you buy one of each model (from the same year) and you put them all together, you form a Voltron of rock.

Why would you not want a Voltron?

I have spent more time collecting than playing. I take lessons, but never seem to REALLY practice. That was one of the big pushes for the new basement studio.

I really need a dedicated place where I can sit and actually do the hard work it takes to get better. You cannot do that if you don't have a dedicated spot - you have to get things out and re-arrange a room to a small extent, play and then put it all back. I know that it will be easier to steal even 5 minutes here and there if everything is already set up and waiting for me and the room does not have to be ready for some other function.

So, there are more guitars than I need (and actually more than I want) at this point. I'm looking forward to visiting with them all in the coming months and deciding which are golden and which are just guitars. I have already decided that a beautiful emerald SAS is going to go. It is stunning, but it is not golden to me.

I know, however, that I have one that I can never sell - the cheap Fender 12 string acoustic that took me through college and killed my fingers every time I played it can never be sold.

I'm with you in spirit Hans - except that I have NO inkling for a PS at this point. When I feel that I can play much better, I may entertain the thought, but at this point, I have no business stroking a PS.

little known fact: if you buy one of each model (from the same year) and you put them all together, you form a Voltron of rock.

James.....I have a PRS from every year from 1986 to present....only missing a 1985.

I put them all together after reading your post....I came up with an Optimus Prime that is missing one toe.

Please send me a 1985 PRS...custom or pre-standard...doesn't matter...birds, moons..no difference...I need to complete Optimus ASAP.

Thanks.

I have definitely been there before, and am starting to feel that way a bit right now, actually. Been thinking about selling a couple (sorry Hans... not my Proto 305!) for the past couple of months!

And with that said... I have been toying with ordering a 513 Artists Pack, IRW neck.

It never ends.

I tend to cull the herd when all my "Hangers" are full & there are 3-4 Guitars sitting on stands. I will end up selling 6-8 Guitars & have as much as 4-5 empty "Hangers". This always seems to be quite an accomplishment for me, as I am an addict. Then I look around a few weeks later & all the "Hangers" are full again................. sigh. I am thinking that maybe I should add on to my House. Then I can add a sh*tload of "Hangers" & just be done with it.................................... for a few years:rolleyes:

A convincing argument!

What do you get if you buy one of every color of every model made in the same year? I would think that one could create universes...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23601 said:
Why ya gotta make me cry in front of all my friends, Dad?

tumblr_mau6oq8yfS1qb7rub.gif

In my defense, I offer my 1st post, 4th paragraph, 5th and 6th sentence.

Dude, this went from Ghandi to MA Pete, the two cannot be reconciled.

Then again, consider the good work MA Pete is doing supporting the entire PRS company (and maybe even UPS) in a tough economy at considerable personal expense! ;)

Back