Culling The Herd

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Jamie and I were talking about this a lot at X:pRS:2012. It seems a lot of people reach a point in life where they just let go of a bulk of their collection.

I am getting ready to do just that. Yes... seriously. And the result has been a little more Soul searching than usual.

From where I stand, it's all about managing money, "having enough", really playing what I have - getting to know the guitar completely, and no longer feeling like I need certain guitars in my house to be a part of a community. I am not the sum of my possessions. And knowing a lot about guitars does not make me a better guitar player. I want something more; something that can't be taken from me.

I'm a player that started collecting when my career took off. I lost my way for a little bit but started playing again about a year ago. I want to be a better player. I will never lose the collector bug but I am no longer content to own guitars that don't get played. But here's a dose of honesty... if I had the money to keep them all (which I don't), I probably would. So I'm thankful for things that push me out of my comfort zone; things that force me to stand on my own merit; opportunities that allow me to be more responsible for the benefit of my family.

Have you ever felt this way? Have you ever actually done it?

Discuss.

Yep, been there done that. I had 27 guitars at one point, I'm now down to 9.

Quality over quantity now rules my world, and everything gets played regularly.

Like I told you, the realization hit me around age 50. Sure, the hunt was fun, but now what?

I still have waaay too many guitars, but it's a much more manageable number, and many more get played on a regular basis.

I'll still probably sell some more off as the years go buy...

Jamie

hey moderators...pretty sure this is NOT the party line!

*starts thread titled "A New Guitar For Every Month"*

Listen guys, whatever I can do to help! I'll tell you what, send the ones you are considering getting rid of to me. If you miss them and want them back, I will send them back. I won't even charge you for my services!

I've learned over the years that 2-3 electric guitars is the right number for me. One guitar usually becomes my solo voice for a period of time, another becomes a rhythm player, and I'll sometimes have a third, like a 12 string or hollowbody, just as an occasional alternative (I only have 2 right now). More than that, and I'm wasting time auditioning them for projects, and never really get to concentrate on learning most of them. And I've reached the point where guitar maintenance is kind of a pain.

And one acoustic guitar and I'm set.

The hunt is fun, who doesn't like shopping? And while I don't have the collector bug, I do understand the urge. But I think it's a matter of each of us finding our personal balance. And that's going to vary from person to person. For me, as I've said, I've found it.

Edit: Then again, just so James doesn't feel badly about the Party Line, I would like to point out that I periodically buy new ones and sell older ones when something great comes along. ;)

Like I told you, the realization hit me around age 50. Sure, the hunt was fun, but now what?

I still have waaay too many guitars, but it's a much more manageable number, and many more get played on a regular basis.

I'll still probably sell some more off as the years go buy...

Jamie

I'll gladly babysit some for you ;)

I must be lucky that I only have one and I love it so much I really struggle daily to justify buying another
I want one for drop-c, one for standard and a seven string (I could add an archtop for chilling out with)

I think ANYONE who has nice gear feels guilty/pressure to be steve vai, SRV *insert guitar hero* but if you have worked hard for your money enjoy the spoils

I've been through it. I am still in it to some degree but at a manageable level. I still have more guitars than I need. One acoustic and one electric is all you NEED. I have ones that I consider great; the ones I play and smile. When I see new ones I simply compare them to what I have and ask if I would give up one of my keepers to get it. The answer is usually no. If it is yes I start the process to trade or sell in order to buy the new one. This way the collection stays the same size but I slowly move up in owner satisfaction. In the mean time I work on becoming a better player.

There is a good chance that I have too many guitars, but until my kids got their 4 years of university in that was not the case.
Until I made a down payment on a house I bought a guitar every few years and sat at 5 for a long time - none of which I paid more that $1000 for.
After the mortgage got whittled down I splurged on a PRS CU22 and shortly after that an HBII. This gave me get versatility and everything got played.

After the kids got a good bit of school under their belt, I might have got a bit silly, but they look great and sound great and if/when I retire, what would be more satisfying than playing whatever I want at any given moment, so I expect to keep them for a while yet.

hey moderators...pretty sure this is NOT the party line!

*starts thread titled "A New Guitar For Every Month"*

LOL! I think to 30+ PRSi I've bought over the last decade or so absolve me of any sins...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23568 said:
Does it matter that my purchase of a new Private Stock is the impetus behind it all?:dancing:

Details Hans, we need details :D

And if it is an existing guitar, we'll need pictures too!

Congrats to going the PS route!

Totally understand, and am in he process of selling a few I never use. (Don't worry guys I bought a new one at X12) but I don't need guitars I don't play anymore. Plus my tastes have changed/refined, and I know what I like now moreso than in the past. Plus I also know something about myself--If I buy a guitar that is "too nice" I won't play it. Thats the way I am. I have several nice guitars that are beat up that I cannot sell to prove my point to myself.

So while I am looking at either a DGT or a 408/Sig, I am doing so with the thought process that it will be one of the go to ones that do get played.

same here. I can't have guitars that got no action. got a GAS for a 408 Std and a Swamp Ash Studio, so I thinking about what I will let it go.

I'm pretty certain that within one year it will be down to my R7, Korina McCarty, and a yet to determined Tele. And one, maybe two Redplate amps, tops, but they are tiny!
That McCarty neck seems to have had less finish sanding than most W/F necks and it feels a bit thicker, measures .875 1st with a bit more shoulder, otherwise it would be as confused as my ME1, SC245, and other Korina Mccarty (Lollar Soaps). They are on the endangered species list.

I could see this heading towards a singular guitar & amp. I'm only playing one at a time anyway these days. Maybe it's a sign of getting older....I hope MA Pete does not get this illness.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23568 said:
Does it matter that my purchase of a new Private Stock is the impetus behind it all?:dancing:

So you went hard on the deal? I'll post my thoughts I started with you at the XPRS when I'm not on iPad typing with two fingers.

Back