CU24: String gauges for lowered tunings?

flux

594 & CU24
iK4MIGtg.jpg

[Apologies if this comes up frequently and I missed it... my forum-search-fu isn't so hot today.]

My latest workhorse is about to get hot-rodded and parked in standard C# as well as drop C. I could math out appropriate sets, but since a chunk of the forum can probably tell me off the top of its head, I'll just ask...

What gauge(s) would you recommend I roll? My primary concern is proper tension on the 5th & 6th strings for high-gain mayhem.

Thanks in advance!

I use a D'Addario 10-52 Hybrid set on my SE Custom 24 Floyd. Stays tuned in Drop C. Nice chunky bottom end with the top stings still light enough to solo easily.

Might also try an 11-52 set if you want something a little chunkier on the top end. Or just a straight 12-52 set.

That's a bit light for me. I think the Tremonti baritone comes in C#standard with 0.014. I'd probably go. 0.012. I use 0.011 for drop Db, but most people would use 0.010 for that. I'd think you'd at least want to try 0.011.

By the way, @elvis -- I believe I'm going to rock some Cold Sweats on this one, thanks again for the suggestion!

BK's are awesome! I've got a set of Abraxas in the Bernie and a Holy Diver/Cold Sweat in one of the CE 24 project guitars. Plus, they are an absolute joy to deal with!

BK's are awesome! I've got a set of Abraxas in the Bernie and a Holy Diver/Cold Sweat in one of the CE 24 project guitars. Plus, they are an absolute joy to deal with!

Killer, glad to hear. Between this and some rig tweaks it's going to be a fun winter. Then there's the matter of a certain 594 and a set of 59/09s to be resolved...

I definitely recommend using a string calculator to determine the tension you like on your other guitar(s) in alternative tunings, then find out what gauges provide a similar tension value for the tuning you're looking to put that beautiful guitar in.

I tend to use this one: http://www.stringtensionpro.com/

Thank you! I keep forgetting we inhabit this wonderful world of online tools... :confused:

It's nice to have a calculator for this, since tension is an exponential function of gauge.

I like my drop strings to be lower tension than normal. It makes for some great pinch harmonic tonality.

I like my drop strings to be lower tension than normal. It makes for some great pinch harmonic tonality.

Dynamite, thanks. I've been trying to imagine variables like that ahead of time and seeing it in text is a great help. For this adventure I have a good idea of where I'd like to be, but it's my first time dropping that far... so I'm prepared for the "work the kinks out" phase.

Well there are two sets close to what I had in mind: 11-14-18-28-38-49 and 12-16-20-32-42-54 look like decent starting points. For science...

I have my "drop guitar" setup with NYXL 11-56's for drop C, but I play a standard tuned guitar with 10-52's...like 'em chunky. Can't imagine having enough tension with anything less to make it truly playable, especially when occasionally dropping to A on the low string. 10-52's are fine on guitars with 25.5" scale length for drop C, but for the CU 24's 25"...need beefier. Just my 2 cents...

Back