Core vs SE models

john turbo

Ive had a number of different PRS SE models..mira, santana, cu22, but I picked up a 2007 mira core model and its a completely different beast. More defined, more versatile, and better playability. Its close to the best of both single coil fender and humbucker gibsons. I gig a lot so maybe my first impression will change over time!

A core Mira is a gateway drug -- your wallet will soon feel the pain

Fortunately we’re here to keep those urges in check.

yeah-right-thatll-definitely-happen.jpg

I'm still in the honeymoon period with my Mira so I might be a tad bit biased, but I'd agree that they are freaking awesome guitars! Let's see some pics!

I loved the SEs but yeah, the first time I really sat down with some American models I saw exactly where the extra cash goes. Great guitars. I have 2 and I have to stop myself window shopping online with the local PRS dealers....

That's the damn thing about facebook and targetted ads. I'll be minding my business and all the sudden I've got a brand new just arrived PRS in faded whale blue make it yours today buy me damn it

The thing I find stupidly funny and annoying is that there are some SE models with amazing veneer's, then the S2's are usually non flame top, but a much nicer overall feel and playing experience in my opinion.

Unfortunately we can't all drop $$$ of 594's, etc., but the reality is that we just can't all the time.

I loved the SEs but yeah, the first time I really sat down with some American models I saw exactly where the extra cash goes. Great guitars. I have 2 and I have to stop myself window shopping online with the local PRS dealers....

That's the damn thing about facebook and targetted ads. I'll be minding my business and all the sudden I've got a brand new just arrived PRS in faded whale blue make it yours today buy me damn it
WORD, brother! Same thing here...picking up a usa for me was it. Now I just want to keep getting different models, and still stay married...lol

Ive had a number of different PRS SE models..mira, santana, cu22, but I picked up a 2007 mira core model and its a completely different beast. More defined, more versatile, and better playability. Its close to the best of both single coil fender and humbucker gibsons. I gig a lot so maybe my first impression will change over time!

Congrats on the guitar!

Related to Floyd R. Turbo?

The thing I find stupidly funny and annoying is that there are some SE models with amazing veneer's, then the S2's are usually non flame top, but a much nicer overall feel and playing experience in my opinion.

Unfortunately we can't all drop $$$ of 594's, etc., but the reality is that we just can't all the time.
Yeah the thing you don't get with the SEs is the quality of mahogany though.... at leats as far as I can see. My s2 starla for example has one of the nicest 1 piece bodies I have ever seen... the sort of thing I was looking for when I was relentlessly shopping for a good SG. And the necks are quartersawn mahogany so far as I can tell... nothing wrong with a 3 piece maple neck as you know those will last forever but if it's the old fashioned mahogany recipe you are after... plus the top notch finishing and workmanship. The s2s are the go. Even with the flat tops

I think its clear where the 'extra' money goes as you move up through the different ranges. From the SE Standards to the Core lines, its clear why there is a Price difference to me - That being said, I don't necessarily think there is a massive difference in Tone or Playability. The Custom 24 is a model in every price range - from an SE Standard and Custom to S2 Standard and Custom to Core and beyond. Each is a step up - whether its a solid Mahogany body, Mahogany with Maple cap and veneer, to mahogany with a flame maple cap with no veneer. Then you have the different top carve with the Core being the most sculpted - the advantage of using a solid maple cap without a veneer. There are also differences with some having a bolt on neck and obviously some of the necks are 3 piece necks too. I know you could say the headstock of a core is 3 (or 4 if you count the veneer on the front) as they add 2 wing tips but still carving the heel and majority of the headstock out of 1 piece of wood is more expensive than making it out of 3 pieces - they get more necks out of one block of wood with a 3 piece construction.

You are paying more for the core also because it goes through many more Quality control checks too. The SE's are built abroad and shipped to the US where they are checked once. I don't know if the 'woods' in the SE models are checked as thoroughly or selected as vigilantly as the US models, I don't know whether PRS grade the Mahogany for example and use the 'best' for the Core and above models but we do know they do keep the best Maple for 10-tops and the 'very' best for PS/AP models. It would be interesting to note how long a guitar takes to build from receiving the raw wood to leaving the factory. Core models take months but I don't know how long the other models take - which again may affect pricing.

You also have to consider that US labour as well as factory running costs (electricity, rates etc) are much higher too so even Kiln drying will cost more than places like Indonesia or Korea where the running costs are much lower.

At the end of the day though, everyone can afford a 'PRS' - whether its a core model or SE. The tones and playability are superb and as we know, many 'professional' artists will happily gig with SE models. Of course certain models may not make it to SE - like the 509, 408 etc but maybe the 594 could as that seems incredibly popular but, like the Silver Sky, there are a lot of similar alternatives - like the Epiphone LP or Squire/Mexican Strats. Anyway time will tell...

Back