Contacting Doug Sewell

Not being overly familiar with original Sewell’s, can you tell me a little about the amp? Suppose I could google, but we don’t see many here, so little history couldn’t hurt.

It's 35 watts of great clean sound. Clean forever. Via a toggle it's also has a lower power mode of 28 watts. 15" California Weber speaker. Also has a toggle that moves it from fixed bias mode to cathode mode. This was added by a previous owner. Tubes are 2x 616, one big bottleneck rectifier, 12at7, 12ax7wa and 5751. No effects, just volume, bass, treble. Doug was making these in Texas when he was offered the gig at PRS. Instead of serial numbers, he gave them Texas-style names, thus Joe Bob. The sound is just great; CLEAN and punchy. Cathode mode adds a little grit. Think Teles and Texas bars. I just love it.

What a great group this is. You're cracking me up! :)

That sounds perfect.
It's 35 watts of great clean sound. Clean forever. Via a toggle it's also has a lower power mode of 28 watts. 15" California Weber speaker. Also has a toggle that moves it from fixed bias mode to cathode mode. This was added by a previous owner. Tubes are 2x 616, one big bottleneck rectifier, 12at7, 12ax7wa and 5751. No effects, just volume, bass, treble. Doug was making these in Texas when he was offered the gig at PRS. Instead of serial numbers, he gave them Texas-style names, thus Joe Bob. The sound is just great; CLEAN and punchy. Cathode mode adds a little grit. Think Teles and Texas bars. I just love it.

Yes, I've read about these at TGP. Very nice amp! Do you have a PRS guitar? If not, we'll launch the "Enablers Club" barrage now.

And, you think this is funny, wait til the peanut gallery gets here. I won't say who, but you'll know when they show up. ;)

Also, we have a thread for and about women guitar players here at the forum now. Please drop in and you'll read about everything from how women relate to different guitar body shapes, to how women like small frets, and of course, you learn about the all important WINGER!

And, you think this is funny, wait til the peanut gallery gets here. I won't say who, but you'll know when they show up. ;)

mrpeanut.jpg

Damn, that sounds perfect. Want. Wait, no, I have enough amps, I have enough amps, I have enough amps...

You wouldn't happen to know which speakers those were? Were they the high power series?

Last edited:
How loud do you need to run it to get the sweet spot? My old deluxe reverb had to be on 5, which is very loud, especially given that it was rated at 22W.

Back