Considering an SE Angelus Standard

Thanks Packy, looking very forward to it.
I did ask my dealer and Matt at CS about the Grover 406C tuners, and even though they drop in with no mods, my dealer said they are minis, and there is another Grover that starts with 5, but we decided to use the Planet Waves Autotrim locking tuners instead as I like them on my other SEs.
They will have to drill new screw holes, but that is OK.
I like the action on them a lot.

The only other mod will be Schaller Strap Locks as all of my straps are equiped with them.

Went to the dealer today after work and put down some bucks for the guitar.
These are the strings I ordered from Amazon.
Acoustic Phosphor Bronze with NANOWEB® Coating
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A6ASSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But he said these are better quality?
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...roductname=EJ16_Phosphor_Bronze__Light__12_53
12 - 53 Lights

I know PRS uses D'addario from the factory.

They make even a lighter gauge called Custom Lights which are 11 - 52.
I do not want to go to thin though, but I do run 9 - 42 on all of my electrics.
Should I stick with 12 - 53?

My SE Angelus Custom came with the D'Addario 12-53 Phosphor Bronze Lights ( EJ16 ). These are great strings but I like the Nanowebs better on my Custom. The Nanowebs are more expensive but they last longer. You will find many different opinions on strings. It's fun to experiment. PRS has an acoustic set of strings which they sell that I have on order and am anxious to try. Hopefully, some other members will chime in on what strings they are using. Anyways, don't worry about it, if you get a guitar that speaks to you, everything will be sweet!

Thanks packy, I did not realize the guitar came with the exact same strings he suggested to me.
Might not hurt to have him put on a fresh set of the EJ16s though since the guitar has made a long journey.
And after they get a little tired, I can try the Nanowebs like yours that I just got in from Amazon.

Just went to Guitar Center For a Gift Card for a Friend with the Wife and Walked out with an SE Angelus Standard and the gift card, The salesman made the mistake of saying they were having a 15% off sale today and the wife said what do you like LOL/

Just went to Guitar Center For a Gift Card for a Friend with the Wife and Walked out with an SE Angelus Standard and the gift card, The salesman made the mistake of saying they were having a 15% off sale today and the wife said what do you like LOL/

Well that doesn't suck! Full report will be needed on the guitar of course, with pics as appropriate.

That's the most romantic story I've ever heard. I think you should slow it down, be more detailed, and release a novel with a shirtless woman holding the guitar illustrated on the cover.

The last I heard from my dealer was that they were in setup in Maryland on the 14th of January.
For kicks I emailed my rep at Sweetwater and he said he heard from PRS that they are still in Korea, and then there is the labor dispute at the ports along the West coast.
Going to call my local dealer today to see if he can get some real info.

How does one intonate/adjust string height on an acoustic?

Just curious, as I do not see adjustment screws on the bone bridge to intonate, or how to adjust string height.

Was surfing more SE Angelus Standard vids, and I ran across an older one by member Paul back when there were two Standard models, the regular one, and the one with electronics like he is reviewing here which was called the Electro Acoustic Standard back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does one intonate/adjust string height on an acoustic?

With very few exceptions (a few acoustics have been made with saddle adjustment wheels, but the idea has largely been abandoned), the way the saddle is adjusted is the old-fashioned, traditional way:

Saddles aren't glued in on acoustics. The pressure of the strings keeps them in place.

To lower the string height, the tech pulls the saddle out of the bridge, and a very straight and level file is used on the bottom of the saddle. Because the adjustment calls for filing, reinserting the saddle, trying the string height, and then redoing it until one is happy, it's fairly time consuming unless you have a lot of experience. One stroke too many on the file, and you've got to replace the saddle. In fact, most techs who do acoustic guitars will have several saddles on hand.

To raise the string height, either a taller saddle is acquired, or a very thin wood shim is used under the saddle. I've seen it done both ways. In theory, the shim will rob the saddle from transmitting some of the string energy to the bridge and the top of the guitar, but in practice it's debatable. This is also why most acoustic guitars come with a slightly high action, in the expectation that the dealer's tech will adjust the saddle to the customer's preferred height.

There's no way to adjust intonation with a traditional saddle, except replacing the saddle with something made differently. Amazingly enough, people still buy and play acoustic guitars!

Then again, as you know, guitars are never perfectly in tune because modern instruments need to be in so-called "equal temperament" in order to play in all keys. So at some point chasing perfect intonation is kind of a mirage.

Last edited:
I walked into the guitar center in little rock last July 3rd looking to kill some time. Left with a layaway ticket for the SE angelus. It is such a nice acoustic . This is my first PRS to own and I am pleased.

I did have an issue getting the bridge pins out , they seemed to be smashed in there by a large man with anger issues. I had to stick my hand inside the body and love tap the under side of the pins to get them out . I changed the strings to the PB nanowebs, then later swapped the chrome tuner buttons to some wood ones.

If you watched a lot of YouTube videos on it, it's a possibility you came across one on my channel. I made a video before with the d'addarios then after with the PB nanowebs. Get one and you'll love it!

Thanks Les for the info.

Lead, do you have a link?
My dealer will swap for new strings, so if my pins are stuck in there hard, they will get them back in right.
Going to drop off my new pin puller from another thread for them to try out on mine.

Talked with my dealer today, no word yet.
How long do they sit in setup if that is really where it is?
Seems it has been in setup since the 14th of last month.
Swetwater last said there was a long delay on these which would make me think they are on the water.

Bummer! All the anticipation getting to you yet? I found mine , then owned it 2-3 weeks later. That was too long for me. I played it everyday the first little while , I transitioned back to electric most of the time, the angelus se has been in the case nearly two months until yesterday. However , when I pulled it out, was still perfectly in tune . Went straight to playing . This thing amazes me. Didn't touch a single tuner button

Kind of :D
The only smooth transaction I had was the very first PRS I bought, the 2012 SE Santana.
He had the yellow one in stock back then, but I wanted the orange one which I put down some $$$ for him to order it, and he did that after I left the store.
It was in his shop I think within ten days of him ordering it for me.

You'll be very happy with the angelus standard had mine over a year and lovin it,I don't know about good or bad everyone I have played has been very consistent,I use Ernie ball earth wood strings and love them.Had to file the saddle down to lower action just like Les said very time consuming but once you feel comfortable with the action you will be very pleased awesome guitars.

Glad you are liking it.
Dealer called an hour ago, it is due to land Tuesday, and if so, will be ready to pickup Wednesday.
If it is in, will have a NGD thread the Saturday after, and if time a video.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

My dealer of GAS called me a bit ago as I was pulling up to my mailbox.
Guitar has arrived, but he is letting it warm up.
This was a surprise since it was not suppose to land until Thursday.

Only two of them at the store, so they may not get my new tuners and strings installed today, so I may not be picking it up until next Monday after work.
He will call me before closing time at 6 PM to let me know if they got to it or not.
If so, I can get it at 10 am tomorrow.

Hopefully when he unpacks it everything is good, or back it goes.

Sweet, can't wait to see it! I just sold my old acoustic, and was contemplating this and the new A10E. Both seem to be pretty nice.

Sneak peak with crappy cell phone pics.
My phone can take great pics, but the lens is filthy, I wear the phone out in the rain while at work :D

Just picked it up at 1 PM PST today.
Two things I am not liking:
1. Serial number is not listed by year on PRS site for SE Acoustics like the electrics are, but there is a sticker inside the guitar that says it was made in April of 2013.
WTH?
2. HUGE gash on the bottom of the case, did not see the gash at my dealer.
Case was a little dusty when I looked at it, so I used some Griots Interior Cleaner on it to clean it, and when I flipped the case over, I noticed the huge gash on it :(

The guitar plays nice and looks great though.
I emailed CS earlier, and they said it is possible this came from a distributor instead of PRS?
This does not make sense to me, I thought all SEs were inspected and shipped from Maryland to the dealers that order them, not some other distribution chain?

I will make a new thread on Saturday when I get much better pics and have had a chance to take some quality time with the guitar.
My time is short during the work week to get any playing time in.
CS also said the specs have not changed from 2013 to 2015 on this guitar.
Is this correct?

Sweetwater is still out, here is the info on their site:
t's Arriving Soon!
We've confirmed with PRS that more of this item should arrive within a few weeks. Place your pre-order now to reserve yours, and your order will ship in the order it was received.
My dealer told me that PRS told him there are no new ones coming in yet, in fact they are not even on the water yet.

Should I be concerned this is NOS?
The gash on the case really is upsetting too, even though it is on the bottom.

sneak1.jpg

sneak2.jpg

Back