Considering an SE Angelus Standard

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I do not have an acoustic in my collection, and sometimes I have been playing a few songs that are better suited to an acoustic than an electric.
I see the SE acoustic line is now down to two choices, and I would prefer the Standard since it has the pickup and electronics in it.
http://www.prsguitars.com/seangelusstandard/

I read this post the other day with interest.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...D-strings-are-huge-improvement-for-SE-Angelus
It seems the Elixer Nanoweb Lights in Phosphor Bronze seems to be the hot ticket for the SE Angelus.

Going to inquire my local PRS dealer is he has a Standard in stock, and if he can get these strings on it.
Also since I run locking tuners on every guitar I own, I have not done any research yet as to what will drop into the SE Angelus without any modification.
Can anyone recommend what works great?

Also I do not use locking tuners for tuning stability, but for ease of string change.
I have read so many posts on this site telling members they do not need locking tuners for tuning stability, and that is great, but as mentioned, I use them mainly for ease of string changing without having to do the wraps around the posts.
Too many bad experiences from my youth having brand new strings slip or break the core and have the string go 100% dead on me.
Locking tuners take the hassle out of worrying about that, and that is why I dig them.

My dealer has non in stock, but he is putting in an order for me.
Looks like the normal two to three month wait.
The 2015s must be on back order, as Sweetwater do not have any in stock yet either.

He will be looking into locking tuners for me, and he does carry the Nonoweb strings listed above.

Will post a NGD thread when it is time along with a video clip.

I just did :D
He is getting the phone call in before they leave to get setup for NAMM soon.

Hopefully they have some in Maryland to ship, and I will not have to wait for the boat to come in.

This will be cool, have not played an acoustic probably since '73 to '75 in music class in high school.
And those were nylon string jobs.

These look like the killer setup too for this guitar.
http://www.amazon.com/Elixir®-Strings-Acoustic-Phosphor-NANOWEB®/dp/B000A6ASSS

... Also I do not use locking tuners for tuning stability, but for ease of string change.
I have read so many posts on this site telling members they do not need locking tuners for tuning stability, and that is great, but as mentioned, I use them mainly for ease of string changing without having to do the wraps around the posts.
Too many bad experiences from my youth having brand new strings slip or break the core and have the string go 100% dead on me.
Locking tuners take the hassle out of worrying about that, and that is why I dig them.

You don't have to wrap the string around the post on vintage tuners. Just do this: (from the PRS website):

http://prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

If you do that with just a little slack in the string it will come to pitch with less than 1 turn on the post, just like locking tuners. Works great and is very easy.

You don't have to wrap the string around the post on vintage tuners. Just do this: (from the PRS website):

http://prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

If you do that with just a little slack in the string it will come to pitch with less than 1 turn on the post, just like locking tuners. Works great and is very easy.
I thought the SE Angelus comes with the exact same tuners as all of the other SE electrics?

I thought the SE Angelus comes with the exact same tuners as all of the other SE electrics?

I don't know if they are exact, but they are non locking vintage type tuners. I string my Angelus with less than 1 turn on the peg with the string locked as shown.

Generally, acoustic guitars and locking tuners don't go together. I have no idea why, but I've never seen them on an acoustic. They do in theory make string changes simpler, but AP515 is right, it's really a no-brainer to string the guitar using that technique, and that's how I do it on my Private Stock.

Acoustic guitar players are very much into tradition I guess.

Awesome that you're getting one! I think they sound fantastic throughout the range of acoustics they offer. The SEs sound AMAZING, especially given that you don't have to sell a kidney to get one.

Not saying whether I sold a kidney myself to get my Tonare...that's between me and my ex kidney, right?

I don't know if they are exact, but they are non locking vintage type tuners. I string my Angelus with less than 1 turn on the peg with the string locked as shown.
Cool, may try the stock tuners then unless the dealer comes up with a good pair of drop ins.
I do very much enjoy the Planet Wave Autotrim locking ones I have on most of my other SEs though.
They even cut the string for ya :D
Easiest tuners I have ever used, even easier than the Phase III tuners on my 408.

The price is good on these Les, and from reading reviews from around the Interweb, many say that these could be selling for double the price and still be a bargain.

My dealer has two calls into PRS, they have not answered his inquiry if they have them in Maryland to ship, or if they are on a boat from South Korea.
I am going to assume the latter, as this is what Sweetwater has to say about it.
PRS has informed us that this item has an unusually long shipping delay. Be assured we'll get it as fast or faster than anyone else. Place your order now, and we'll ship it the very same day we receive it from PRS, or call your Sales Engineer, who can give you the most up to date details and possibly offer you alternatives that would ship sooner.
If this is the case, it will be a very looooooooooooooooooooong wait.
I am use to that though with any PRS purchase I make.

Thanks Matt, I can wait this out.
I like dealing with my local guy, this way if there is a problem with the guitar I do not have to ship it back to a web based dealer.
This will be my eighth PRS purchase from him.

Good to know that this guitar can go head to head with some USA built ones.
My dealer also is a big Taylor dealer, but I have not checked them out.

Sounds like I am going to have to call him today as to why he has not head back from PRS yet.
He normally gets back to me within minutes after hearing from them.

Geeeez, just read the review at that link Matt, terrible one.
Other reviews I have read share your sentiment on how it compares to more expensive guitars and keeps up with them in tone and playability.
The reviews at Guitar Center and Sweetwater are very positive along with online magazines.

Geeeez, just read the review at that link Matt, terrible one.
Other reviews I have read share your sentiment on how it compares to more expensive guitars and keeps up with them in tone and playability.
The reviews at Guitar Center and Sweetwater are very positive along with online magazines.

Just read the review; the guy shouldn't have said anything about Martin guitars. I can tell you I've AB'ed the Angelus to Taylor 814 and 816 models and the Taylor's lacked on the low department coming across way too bright. In the same breath, I've tried some high end Martins and they lacked overall definition - they sounded like someone swashing a piece of paper across the strings and lacked fullness and clarity across the board (no pun intended). Honestly the only acoustic that I found that I would play besides the PRS would be a Gibson Songwriter deluxe. It had comfort and was fairly even in the mid/high/low dept. It even held a lower tuning with ease (going down a full step and dropping both E strings an additional full step). I searched from 2009-2012 for a new acoustic and pre-ordered the PRS Angelus A/E as soon as they went up for pre-order because I was impressed by the videos that came up and figured, if when it gets released it doesn't live up to my expectations I'll just return it and get the Gibson - I didn't have to.

That is really great to know the Angelis can hold its own.

Heard from my dealer, PRS is behind, but they should be in setup, and not on a slow boat from Korea.
He was told mine could go out early next month, so maybe I will have it this time next month.
Not getting my hopes up though until he gets the bill, as the guitars always arrive a week later.

Was talking to a friend at work about guitars, and how the SE line is made in South Korea, and he mentioned they cannot be all that great.
Of course he has no experience with PRS.
I will let the reviews here for the SE Angelus Standard speak.
Very positive reviews, and it seems this guitar can go head to head with guitars costing $5K or more.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSANSTP/reviews

Just one review out of 15 above.
PRS SE Angelus Standard (Acoustic-Electric) WOW!!!
Firstly,
please allow me to say that I have never purchased a guitar without having played it-especially an acoustic guitar. With that said, I have played, owned or recorded just about every guitar one could imagine. Personally, I have owned Gibson J-45, Martin HD-28, Taylor 514 ce, 914 ce, and Guild DCE 3 just to name a few. This guitar is quite possibly one of the most balanced guitars I have ever had the pleasure to play. Honestly. I had read numerous reviews of this guitar and, for the most part they have been quite favorable. There are also quite a few nay-sayers as well. At the end of the day what really matters is whether or not one is happy with the instrument. Yes?
I have matured enough in my musical journey to understand that in the final analysis it really does not matter where the instrument was made. How does it sound? How does it play? How does it feel? Does it inspire?
Could one spend 5-10x as much and get an ALL American version of this guitar? Absolutely. The question one should be asking is whether or not there is difference worthy of the expenditure? The answer is no. That is not to say that the ALL American version are not quality instruments. They are PRS guitars after all.
I have had the Angelus for about five days now and it just keeps sounding better (bare in mind that the worst any instrument will sound is the day you purchase it). Unplugged the tone is very beautiful and balanced. Miced with an AKG 414 off axis at the sound hole, the tonality is still beautiful and balanced. Plugged in, the on board electronics really allow this guitar to reach another level.
The quality of this guitar simply must be seen and heard to be believed.
I have been dealing with Sweetwater for about 17 years and I have never been led astray. This purchase was no exception.
I have a friend that recently spent over 5K on a custom made acoustic (of very notable repute). He played my Angelus this weekend. At the end of the day he simply shook his head in disbelief and remarked at just how beautiful The Angelus sounded in comparison to his recent expenditure.
It should be noted that regardless of where the instrument is made it is still a PRS and PRS is known for quality.
Finally,
For the folks that think PRS has no business in the acoustic realm, I beg you to think again. These guitars are beautiful to see and hear.

PS, Matt, what type of battery does this take?
Have not seen in the specs for it what it takes.

Last edited:
I've had the SE Angelus Custom for over a year now and still lovin' it. It's strange, reading reviews it seems that people either love it or hate it. Maybe there are good ones and
bad ones. I feel the same way about mine that Matt does about his. I think it's great that you have built a relationship with your local dealer. I always try to play the guitar before I buy. I have played a used Standard - went outside to call my wife to tell her I was thinking about buying it - went back in and it was sold. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised when you get your hands on one! Best of luck!

Back