Confusion with SE Semi-Hollow

mhoffman

So I just picked up a new SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow yesterday after months of mulling over a new guitar purchase. I played it 3 times before finally deciding to pull the trigger. I love it, its completely different than any of my other guitars... but thats not what this post is about...

Im a little confused about the specs of this guitar.
On the PRS website, it listed the only available colors/tops for this guitar as Orange or Gray Black Flamed Maple veneer. As you can see by the picture, mine is a quilted maple tobacco sunburst type. Whats going on here??
Also, I picked the guitar up at guitar.... it listed the pickups as the Tone Furnace ones, where as the PRS site and my memory told me they are just standard SE treble and bass pickups. uhhhhh???
There is more, its seem if i find my guitar on eBay or some other site with the quilted maple top... it says the guitar has a wide/fat neck. ..... PRS website says this guitar comes with wide/thin neck. (It also feels like wide/thin when compared to the other PRS necks i played in the store). .. every website i see with quilted top says wide/fat. .... weird???
The guitar center website (pic of guitar here) also says this guitar has PRS S2 Locking Tuners..... no it doesn't.
This guitar also sells for $$$$ rather than $$$$ for flamed topped ones. interesting.

I thought maybe its a 2014 model or something? Nope. the Serial number begins with a P which indicates a 2015 model.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Also, any pickup recommendations for this guitar? I was originally looking at an LTD with seymour duncan 59 and JB pickups in it that I really liked, I know thats a completely different guitar and the semi hollow will effect that... what do you think?

Hey Thanks!

view

GC sometimes have special runs, but from my own experience, their website info can be truly off. That exact one in the my local GC too but the website for the store does not show it in inventory. As for pickups, it comes down to your style of music and price. I just discovered bare knuckle pickups. I sent them an email with info on the guitar and my music style and what they sent me back recommendations.

Welcome and congratulations! Would love to see more pics of the guitar!

I bought my son one of the orange ones, and indeed it is a wide/thin neck as it plays easier to me than some of my other SEs that have the wide/fat neck.

I could have sworn too that the PRS site when these were first put up said they were wide/fat, but it does now state they come with a wide/thin neck.

Also the Tone Furnace pickups are all black, and they come on the SE Custom 22 non semi-hollow.
Either way, the SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow is the best playing SE I have ever played.

Congrats! I noticed alot of spec-inconsistency as well on the internet.

If these were wide-fat I would have pulled the trigger already. Wide-thin and 22F just doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the responses.
The only strange thing left is the quilted top not shown on PRS website. Oh well, it's gorgeous to me!

Thanks for the responses.
The only strange thing left is the quilted top not shown on PRS website. Oh well, it's gorgeous to me!
The one in my gc is quilt too. looks very nice and tempting. The link you posted does say quilted maple veneer in the description.

The one in my gc is quilt too. looks very nice and tempting. The link you posted does say quilted maple veneer in the description.
Yeah the GC link does show quilted... Im saying that the PRS website does not list quilted as an option.

Yeah the GC link does show quilted... Im saying that the PRS website does not list quilted as an option.

Like wardog said, sometimes GC (and other retailers) have special runs done just for them where they get different colors/woods/etc. than you can get normally. Those special runs are not taken into account when they list the standard specs for a model/year.

Back