Cody Kilby model

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
So as some of you know, I have had Tonare Grand GAS for a long time. I've played a standard at the factory, Mintzer's PS, but never a rosewood one. At the 30th event, I ran across a Cody Kilby model in the factory which has rosewood back and sides and that guitar sounded fantastic. It still sticks in my head and I randomly think about it from time to time. Does anyone have one or have experience with one? I know the body depth is slightly more shallow than the Tonare(Angelus depth). It's not a model that gets talked about a bunch so....

I think the Kilby is the overlooked sister in the acoustic line. The Simpson and McManus got a fair bit of attention, but the Kilby never seemed to attract as much attention. I don't know that I've ever actually seen a Kilby model in person.

I stumbled onto one used a while back. Really nice PS version with cocobolo. I have no justification for having an acoustic that nice, but I guess it was just a goof enough price on the right day.

I stumbled onto one used a while back. Really nice PS version with cocobolo. I have no justification for having an acoustic that nice, but I guess it was just a goof enough price on the right day.
The one I played was probably cocobolo as well. So what do you think of it?
The one I played, pleasantly surprised me. It packed a nice punch. I love a big, punchy acoustic sound. It had a certain focus or tightness despite sounding very big.

I think the Kilby is the overlooked sister in the acoustic line. The Simpson and McManus got a fair bit of attention, but the Kilby never seemed to attract as much attention. I don't know that I've ever actually seen a Kilby model in person.
Yeah, it's hard to even find many clips of them. Info is scarce.

Last edited:
I think I played that Kilby at the 30th Event, too. I thought it sounded really great.

The slightly thinner body means a little less low end overload when miked up.

Back