Clearcoat

dbonanno

What does PRS use to clear their guitars?
I'm guessing it's a urethane but is it an acrylic urethane or a Polyurethane?
What's the best way to clear and blend an autograph, for example.

The original PRS top coat was acrylic urathane, but we've been using V12 for the last couple of years which is a hybrid finish Paul developed.

Custom 24 or SE Custom 24?

Hey, which is a better choice, the Custom 24 or the SE Custom 24? I mean, which has better sound or quality, 'cause I see that the SE has a little bit more "features" but it's also cheaper than the Custom, and well...I don't know which one to choose, can someone help please?

Hey, which is a better choice, the Custom 24 or the SE Custom 24? I mean, which has better sound or quality, 'cause I see that the SE has a little bit more "features" but it's also cheaper than the Custom, and well...I don't know which one to choose, can someone help please?

The Custom 24 is definitely better than the SE model. I have the SE and love it, but I can't afford the US model.

You say you don't know which one to choose so it sounds like you have money to get the US model. There shouldn't even be a question which one to get then.

Wow! I understand nobody wanting to answer my question about blending PRS clear coat (trade secret, whatever), but there's really no need to go so far off topic to avoid the question.

I get it. ;)

In other words ... send it to PRS.

You can certainly do something on your own, but you have a great guitar and an autograph worth preserving so I would recommend having the work professionally done.

But... if you want to do something on your own, some spray-on clear would work with an acrylic finish, but I would not recommend a rattle can finish if your guitar has V12.

Shawn is the man, he will be getting my Tremonti soon to do some work and coat Tremonti's autograph...can't wait Shawn!! Shipping her to you as soon as shipping kit arrives!

Back