Chuck Berry 1926-2017

In the 1980s, I was supposed to see him and the Four Tops as a postgame concert after the final Pirates game that season. The game went 10 innings, Chuck went to the airport. Chuck didn't wait for anything. Never got another chance to see him.

RIP

Saw him at one of the concerts at UMASS back when they were allowed to have them. IIRC he had the simplest rider in all of music LOL.

He will be missed!!:(

Our Father Who Art in Berry Park... I know where there is some Fine Rock & Roll being played at this very moment.

Rest In Peace Mr. Berry. Thank you for Everything.

Lloyd

Last edited:
In 1977, the Voyager spacecraft included music chosen to allow alien life forms to get an idea of life on Earth. Included was Johnny B. Goode, by Chuck Berry.

At the time, the joke making the rounds was...

"Mr. President, we have made contact! We have made contact with alien life forms who have found Voyager!"

"Are you kidding? What did they say?"

"Sir, as best we can tell the message says:

'Send. More. Chuck. Berry.' "

RIP, Chuck.

The moment that got me into guitar was Marty McFly playing "Johnny B. Goode" in Back to the Future. Great moment in film made possible by the perfect song. Of course, his legacy is a lot more than just a movie spot, but it was a big moment for me.

How many guitarist's haven't messed around at some stage doing the Duck Walk.!!!
RIP Chuck, Thanks for the memories.

Here you go...

The man in the glasses(on the left) is 'The Last Sultan', the one and only Ahmet Ertegun, the Founder of Atlantic Records. The guy in the glasses on the right is the one and only Paul Shaffer(aka Artie Fufkin), house band leader.

Last edited:
Music, like any great art form, makes its impact by combining different forms of expression into new ways to communicate the ideas and feelings of the present. When this is achieved at the highest levels, music/art can define the present, change the future, and preserve our memories of the past.
Chuck Berry combined blues and country with pretty women, fast cars, teenage confidence/optimism and the all consuming impact of "first love"...and the result was Rock 'n Roll.
My love of music began with the Beatles...and the first 4 "Beatles Songs" I learned to play were their versions of Roll Over Beethoven, Rock and Roll Music, Johnny B. Goode, and Reelin' and Rockin (4 of the 15 songs the early Beatles would go on to play live and record). Chuck was already speaking through the next generation...and it continues.

"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'. "
-John Lennon

Indeed. R'nRIP Chuck.

In 1977, the Voyager spacecraft included music chosen to allow alien life forms to get an idea of life on Earth. Included was Johnny B. Goode, by Chuck Berry.

At the time, the joke making the rounds was...

"Mr. President, we have made contact! We have made contact with alien life forms who have found Voyager!"

"Are you kidding? What did they say?"

"Sir, as best we can tell the message says:

'Send. More. Chuck. Berry.' "

RIP, Chuck.

I remember that classic SNL sketch....
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/next-week-in-review/3008107?snl=1

Back