Chris Cornell

and the news just goes from bad to worse where MSN and others reporting that his death was suicide. Meanwhile his web site still shows that he has a sold out show tomorrow in Columbus OH.

Suicide is never the answer. Absolutely never.

I loved his singing...

That show is actually a three-day festival. Soundgarden was scheduled to headline tom'w.

As for his death being a suicide, I have no idea what his situation was other than I read that he battled depression at one point in his life. Obviously I don't know your history, so I mean no offense by this. If you've never fought depression, you have no idea of the pain and altered thinking it can cause. And if you haven't, I truly hope you never get that understanding. I had a friend that went through it, and she said you can't understand it if you haven't been through it, and she was right - I thought I had an idea from talking to her, but until I went through it, I had no idea how bad and how dark it really can get. And yes, it can get better, but it's not always an easy path.

Sorry to derail.

As for his death being a suicide, I have no idea what his situation was other than I read that he battled depression at one point in his life. Obviously I don't know your history, so I mean no offense by this. If you've never fought depression, you have no idea of the pain and altered thinking it can cause. And if you haven't, I truly hope you never get that understanding. I had a friend that went through it, and she said you can't understand it if you haven't been through it, and she was right - I thought I had an idea from talking to her, but until I went through it, I had no idea how bad and how dark it really can get. And yes, it can get better, but it's not always an easy path.
Sorry to derail.

Indeed. It's the reason I get bent sideways on occasion. Nonetheless, I'm still "sunny side up."

I was never much of a Soundgarden fan, but I did like his work with Audio Slave. However, I'm listeneing to "Superunknown" as I type and I'm really digging it.

I am hearing things in the songs that I had never noticed and his vocals are intense.

It's sad when we lose such a talent! Rest In Peace Chris!

I greatly enjoyed watching this (although it was a little difficult in spots). We all know the music was special...so not surprising to hear what a special person he was...from someone who knew.
If your time is limited check out 24:50-25:30 and 30:30-32:30.

Last edited:
When my first kid was born, I was having anxiety issues. My Dr. gave me ativan to help out. That stuff is dangerous. I will never take it again. I can't imagine how anyone thought it would be good for a recovering addict to have ativan.

I haven't said a lot yet. I still feel the weight and sadness of Chris Cornell's death on a daily basis. I've talked pretty extensively among our bandmates. I don't remember the last time someone's death that I didn't know personally affected me this much. Maybe Dimebag. In some ways that was a little easier to grasp because it wasn't suicide. Layne and Weiland, it seemed the writing was on the wall eventually and I just expected it. Kurt too. I just didn't see this one coming at all. It seemed like Chris had gotten to good place where he was at peace and able to deal with his issues. I believe the meds and use of more than prescribed had at least some effect. I'm sad for his family and friends and also for the loss of his talent and musical contribution to world.

For me, Soundgarden was one of the bands at their peak in my early and more impressionable guitar playing days. I graduated in '95, so this music had the biggest affect on me from an emotional standpoint(besides just liking the songs). Badmotorfinger was my favorite album by SG during that time period. Dark, heavy and intense. I liked Superunknown but it wasn't my favorite until a few years after it was released. SG(along with a few other bands) shaped me as a player and a writer in my early years of writing music.

When Chris released Euphoria Morning, it was at one of the darkest times in my life. My dad had passed away a year or 2 prior, I wasn't in a band and I was alone for the most part. I mainly played acoustic and did some hack recording overdubbing electric ambient and attempting some drum machine stuff and vocals. I was at a coffee shop and found out about this album. I remember reading a lengthy interview with Chris about the album and listening to it on a discman with headphones. That album really spoke to me and came at a time where I had an instant connection with what he was writing about. It helped me through that period, maybe got me to push on even though I was really unhappy. I saw him live for the first time on a tour for that album and was completely blown away by his vocals live. I went to the show alone cause my girlfriend cancelled on me. I remember Steel Rain, at the end of the song I was in tears(trying hard not to be seen) and the girl next to me smiled and grabbed my arm for a second. I've followed his solo career and seen him live with Peter Thorn and a couple times with Soundgarden over the past few years. He'll always be one of the best vocalists and songwriters in my opinion.

Back