Choices, choices

Nemesis44UK

Hi,

I'm new here and am looking for a bit of assistance.

I currently have an Ibanez RG421 and am looking to buy my first PRS. Budget constraints point me to the SE245 or the SE Standard 24

Are PRS' cheapest guitars generally well built? I previously owned an Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro but had to trade it in, because I had a choice of a really high action or horrific fret buzz. Added to that, it never felt particularly comfortable, as I have a BB King style physique.

I am having trouble deciding, because as a rule, I generally prefer the feel of a "Strat" type guitar, which would indicate the SE Standard 24, but restringing tremelos scares me. So then I'm thinking about the SE245 which apparently has more rock-like tones which is kind of my thing, but then, is it too similar/uncomfortable like a Les Paul?

My local shop, Andertons, are frequently out of stock of one or both guitars, which makes a side-by-side comparison difficult. Also, I only really want to try the instrument that I'm intending to buy as guitars can individually vary and I don't yet have enough money to pull the trigger on it.

Can anyone advise?

Hi and welcome.

I was in Andertons on Saturday and I think they had both in so you might be lucky if you pop in at the moment. Their website says yes and you won't have to wait too long if they have to bring one from the warehouse to try.

The SE's are really well built. I have an SE 277 and it is way better then some other guitars at a similar price point - and that includes Epiphones. I know people really rate Epiphones and they are often better than Gibson builds but I find them hard work to play. Joyless would be a more accurate word. Whereas a PRS cheers me up and makes me want to play and that's right across the board, definitely including SE's. I just wish I could own a shopful of them!

Tone is such a personal thing that you really do need to try both and anything sitting next to it on the SE rack. Then wander round confused because there is too much choice :)

SE's to Epiphones...no contest. You have nothing to worry about.

SC245's to Cu24's ... can't say as it is a personal choice, but neither is uncomfortable. There is the 22 fret to 24 fret difference. Again it comes down to personal choice. Either way you win. :)

There is a YouTube video where Andertons did a blind test of several PRS double cut guitars. Chapman’s favourite was the SE Standard 24. I reckon both of your choices will rock!

Thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated.

It's nice to know that PRS are even better than Epiphones, because I was hugely impressed with my Epi, but given the choice of either paying yet more money to have the frets dressed or taking a loss for a more playable guitar, I went with the latter option. The Ibanez is great, but it's not a PRS!

I know I’ve said it before, but don’t forget the Bernie!

If you like the Epi, a Bernie might suit you. Also and interesting tonal comparison!

There’s a lot of good used PRS for sale, so bear that in mind also. A guitar that was a good deal, sounds even sweeter!

Back