Choice of Hard Cases? Limited CE24

JKozy88

Hey All!

As you will see from my picture, I picked up a limited reclaimed CE24 some months ago. The time has come to protect my baby with a hard case!

What are the favorites around here? I'm currently torn between the below two...but certainly open to other options

-Vintage PRS case from the sweetwater website. Classic leather-ended rectangle case. I love the aesthetic.
-SKB PRS case. Don't love the modern "rugged" look as much. But I would imagine the protection is significantly better?

For what it's worth...I don't plan to take advantage of the TSA-approved qualities of the SKB. I'm generally just traveling around locally. The most "danger" the case could see is some rain or an open mic night scenario.

There are a couple cool "artist" cases on reverb that look to be fully leather exterior. Awesome looking! Not sure I want to be concerned about caring for my leather case as much as I care for my guitar, though...

I have a Gator case that I picked up for about $75 on Amazon, if I recall. It's not super rugged, but I'm just using it for around town. Best part is, my CE fits it perfectly.

SKB or Hiscox Lightflight would be my recommendation. Whilst the PRS cases are nice (especially the leather or Paisley ones) they are very heavy and cumbersome.

If you're talking PRS mulit-fit vs. the big rectangular SKB, I'd go PRS.

I personally go in a very practical direction for cases. For just hauling around to gigs, I use the Gator ProGo.

What's wrong with the PRS gig bag? It's good enough for PRSh to tote his wife's guitar around in...

I'd go Multi-fit. I had a SKB TSA and its big (would'nt ever slide under the bed) and just as heavy as the PRS case. The SKB was over kill for me,

The PRS cases are very sturdy and have a traditional look. They are fairly heavy, as good wood cases tend to be, but they do a nice job protecting the guitars.

I recently shipped a PRS for some work and I have no idea what torture UPS put it through, but it must have gotten hit pretty hard with something, because the case was dinged along the edge when it came out of the box.

The guitar was not damaged. The case did its job.

For around-town gigging, I had an Incase gig bag a few years back, similar to the Reunion Blues Continental. It was great, but isn't made any more. However, the Continental is a very strong gig bag and might be worth looking at if you want a hybrid style case. 11Top's recommendation is also good, and I'd trust his suggestions, he knows his stuff.

The PRS cases are dynamite. I've only ever had one dinged in shipping - the ding went through the box and impacted the case, but didn't get through the case. Doesn't seem to have compromised the case - I dumped water on that spot and got no leakage.

On the dearly departed Birds And Moons site, there was a post about a guy whose house burned down (posted by a neighbor). His PRS was in its case, which mostly did its job. The headstock end eventually gave way and there was some damage to the headstock. The guitar stayed in tune - and there was a set list in the case that had no damage.

I think a great endorsement of the PRS case is that they ship guitars from the factory in nothing but the case and a double wall cardboard box.

The PRS multi-fit case...does anyone know if that's the same one on the Sweetwater website? They have it labelled "PRS Vintage Case" over there. Not sure if I can link here...

Most of my guitars sit in their cases at home, but I prefer a gig bag when going somewhere. Lighter, can put it over your shoulder and still have two free hands to use... maybe it's just me but I would stick with the PRS gig bag

I agree with Steve, the polyfoam rigid hit the mark nicely, great protection if you have to dump your guitar somewhere it might get dinged. Other than that, I use a PRS gig bag and don`t let the guitar out of my sight. Ever.

Last edited:
Hey All!

For what it's worth...I don't plan to take advantage of the TSA-approved qualities of the SKB. I'm generally just traveling around locally. The most "danger" the case could see is some rain or an open mic night scenario.

There are a couple cool "artist" cases on reverb that look to be fully leather exterior. Awesome looking! Not sure I want to be concerned about caring for my leather case as much as I care for my guitar, though...

Does SKB make a case with TSA compliant locks? If I go to the SKB website and do the search by identifying the make and model of guitar, in my case case a PRS Paul's guitar, it only comes up with one compatible model, iSeries Waterproof PRS Guitar Case. But I can't see that is locking.

I really like my SKB hardcase that I have for my Strat. It has TSA compliant locks. Because of that I always take it when I travel and check it in luggage if I fly. I would rally like to get an identical case for my PRS. Does anyone have a locking case for your PRS?

Does SKB make a case with TSA compliant locks? If I go to the SKB website and do the search by identifying the make and model of guitar, in my case case a PRS Paul's guitar, it only comes up with one compatible model, iSeries Waterproof PRS Guitar Case. But I can't see that is locking.

I really like my SKB hardcase that I have for my Strat. It has TSA compliant locks. Because of that I always take it when I travel and check it in luggage if I fly. I would rally like to get an identical case for my PRS. Does anyone have a locking case for your PRS?

I've got this one, and it has locking latches

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3i4214PRS

I've got this one, and it has locking latches

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3i4214PRS
Bodia,
Thank you. I went to the SKB website and looked at the compatibility chart. And my Pauls will fit that. Now I have to decide it I want to drop $250 on it. As I said, I have the SKB locking case for my Strat and always take it when I travel. I could continue to do that. But I would really like to take my PRS on the Bonamassa Keeping the Blues Alive Cruise next February. Is it worth $250 for one trip?!?! Obviously, you can't help with that decision and I am just thinking out loud :rolleyes:o_O

Thanks again for the link.

Bodia,
Thank you. I went to the SKB website and looked at the compatibility chart. And my Pauls will fit that. Now I have to decide it I want to drop $250 on it. As I said, I have the SKB locking case for my Strat and always take it when I travel. I could continue to do that. But I would really like to take my PRS on the Bonamassa Keeping the Blues Alive Cruise next February. Is it worth $250 for one trip?!?! Obviously, you can't help with that decision and I am just thinking out loud :rolleyes:o_O

Thanks again for the link.

My pleasure!

Back