Checked out the Duncans in my used SE Singlecut

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
Was swapping the loathsome TonePros wraparound back to the stock bridge, and decided to look under the pups to see if it really was the Duncan 59/JB. They sound ok normally but not great tapped (and the previous owner put individual taps on vol&tone - annoying.)

I was a bit surprised to find these - and to discover that the Internet says you need to meter them to figure out what the heck they are. (I don't have a meter)

33652937696_76efa417f1_b.jpg

32851005334_a010bda5fa_b.jpg

Would be cool if the big G would put ANY info on the bottom of these...

Last edited:
you can narrow down the model slightly by looking in the hole there on the bottom left of the logo. You see the timber?

I think the higher output pickups have a magnet protruding there, and the lower/mid output has the timber spacer there. Indeed the only way I was able to identify a 498 I had in a second hand axe was with a meter. There was a link describing the extra magnet somewhere I will see if I can find it.

how hard is it for them to stamp or write or put a sticker on the bottom indicating the model...? Too busy making crooked necks and skipping fretwork I guess? *runs for cover

you can narrow down the model slightly by looking in the hole there on the bottom left of the logo. You see the timber?

I think the higher output pickups have a magnet protruding there, and the lower/mid output has the timber spacer there. Indeed the only way I was able to identify a 498 I had in a second hand axe was with a meter. There was a link describing the extra magnet somewhere I will see if I can find it.

how hard is it for them to stamp or write or put a sticker on the bottom indicating the model...? Too busy making crooked necks and skipping fretwork I guess? *runs for cover

Thanks.

That is insane and arcane.

My meter arrives from Amazon tomorrow...

This is so strange, I bought a PRS SE singlecut with the same Gibson pickup in the bridge.

Thanks.

That is insane and arcane.

My meter arrives from Amazon tomorrow...
Was swapping the loathsome TonePros wraparound back to the stock bridge, and decided to look under the pups to see if it really was the Duncan 59/JB. They sound ok normally but not great tapped (and the previous owner put individual taps on vol&tone - annoying.)

I was a bit surprised to find these - and to discover that the Internet says you need to meter them to figure out what the heck they are. (I don't have a meter)

33652937696_76efa417f1_b.jpg

32851005334_a010bda5fa_b.jpg

Would be cool if the big G would put ANY info on the bottom of these...

yep. Meter them.

You likely have some combo of the following because of the baseplates. Hard to tell in the pic for me cause some things look like they have been un/soldered but looks like covers may not be original and/or gibson covers.

That said

490R high 7Ks to around 8K
490T low 8s
498T 13-ish
500T 15-ish
496R- 12 ish

use those baseplates.

Measured at 7.55 and 13.63...

They're maybe 10 yrs old. Was thinking it was 500t and some kind of matching neck from a set sold at the time?

I really like the 498 hot with out being too in your face. If that makes sense.

it's probably a 498 in the bridge then?

That's what I have, measures around 14k. They do sound nice and punchy. Like I said in another thread though I feel like it's missing some clarity. Very good raw pickups overall

Back